Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those must be addictive. We have a neighbor that owns 5 corvettes. 5 car garage for them.

I used to live next to a guy who restored cars for a living. He kept one toy car for himself and it was a beauty. Guess what it was?

He started with a 1956 Corvette Convertible and took it to the next level to make a show car out of it. He won a master builders award with and and has recently retired, but he kept the Corvette.

I've almost purchased a Porsche 928 on a few occasions and I always talk myself out of it for practical reasons. I know there is a schism in the Porsche community and people who are not fans of the front engine "GT" Porsche and don't consider it a "real" Porsche. It was probably just the time period that I grew up, but the 928 is etched into my brain. I love how it looks and sounds and drives, but I doubt I'll ever actually pull the trigger.

I've almost purchased a Porsche 928 on a few occasions and I always talk myself out of it for practical reasons. I know there is a schism in the Porsche community and people who are not fans of the front engine "GT" Porsche and don't consider it a "real" Porsche. It was probably just the time period that I grew up, but the 928 is etched into my brain. I love how it looks and sounds and drives, but I doubt I'll ever actually pull the trigger.

Don't worry about the elitists, 'The Shark' is a real Porsche.

These days I ponder the current trend towards SUVs, I understand the demand side but wonder if Porsche is loosing its heritage. I have even heard:

Porsche is now an SUV company that also makes some sports cars. Ouch...

Last edited:
The 928 was phenomenal. I would love to have one but the potential mechanical issues make me think twice.
My wife had a Cayenne for awhile and when I would make fun of it she would remind me that it saved the Porsche Co. (True)
Next frontier is how the whole line moves to electrification.

The 928 is a bit of a pain mechanically and was not designed for ease of maintenance. You have to drop the engine to replace the water pump. The AC is underpowered which is an issue in the south. The movable binacle is cool, but apparently the electrical contacts on the instrument boards can come off. The engine itself is pretty good, but it tends to sulk if not run periodically.

I've read too much on the subject and inevitably it scares me off. At this point the car is just getting too old for me to want to mess with.

I like my daily driver. It's comfortable extremely reliable, has many safety features and only requires scheduled maintenance. My sim rig scratches my itch to drive fast. It may not be real, but the dynamics are there. I'll never drive a rally car on the sides of ridges in Greece, but I can feel a bit of that. I've sensed what the acceleration and braking of an F1 car is. It makes me understand why many F1 drivers only drive SUV's and not sports cars around town. Compared to an F1 car, what's the point?

I've started learning how to weld now and I'll be getting training on a Bridgeport mill soon so I think I'll keep myself busy with that :)

You are spot on regarding the F1/SUV comparison. Years ago I attended 2 PCA Drivers Ed events and came away with the same feeling. What's the point of having an incredible car that one utilizes 25% of its capabilities 90% of the time? Although Steve McQueen never drove no SUV! Enjoy!

Ditto- plan on keeping the 1995 911 Cabriolet. Learned my lesson from selling a 1973 911 Targa many years ago....

While I've owned 7 Corvettes over the past 45 years I've one Porsche, an '84 911 Targa. Loved everything about it except for the (IMO) POS 915 transmission. Shifted like a John Deere, garbage synchros (1-2nd) and even with a short throw it was like rowing a boat. It wasn't until '87 and the G50 tranny that I would ever consider another Porsche

You are spot on regarding the F1/SUV comparison. Years ago I attended 2 PCA Drivers Ed events and came away with the same feeling. What's the point of having an incredible car that one utilizes 25% of its capabilities 90% of the time? Although Steve McQueen never drove no SUV! Enjoy!

Yep, just like 'Coffee & Cars', we all like to talk about the 'numbers' ! Truth is my 20 year old ZO6 has far more capability than I !!

The 928 was phenomenal. I would love to have one but the potential mechanical issues make me think twice.
My wife had a Cayenne for awhile and when I would make fun of it she would remind me that it saved the Porsche Co. (True)
Next frontier is how the whole line moves to electrification.

I'm pretty sure the Macan is the number 1 selling Porsche, as for saving Porsche, thank VW while you're at it !

Speaking of the Cayenne, I came all so close to buying one back in 2020 before I retired as my daily driver until I found out how ridiculously expensive a simple oil change is. Porsche, what the hell were you thinking ?? !!

I bought a '17 BMW X5 'M sport' instead, couldn't be happier !

Really enjoying my early Christmas present from my wife :)

The display is large sharp and clear. When the shield is enabled there is no green tint and the welding area is much more natural looking than the last mask I tried.

weldingmask_7077.jpg

The mount is very secure and extremely comfortable on my head.
weldingmask_7076.jpg

And of course for my aging eyes some 1.5 diopter "cheater lenses" so I can see what I'm welding :)
I can look above and below the lens to focus on things further away. It works surprisingly well.

CheaterLens_7079.jpg

My new computer case has a crowned top making it hard to put anything above it and wasting space.
So I designed the brackets below to hold my VR Headset Head, round USB charger and Index Controllers.

It has 1mm reliefs for adhesive neoprene and uses M5 threaded inserts to hold it together.

FinalPrint_7198.jpg

I managed a compression fit for the USB hub so it doesn't need any velcro or adhesive.
FinalPrint_7201.jpg

working_7202.jpg

Just started printing out the front part that holds the Index controllers. I'll use gold filament for the logo inserts.
So far so good :)

Indexholder2.jpg

This is the finished Valve Index storage. Seems to work well. I decided not to run the charging cables up through the controller holder. That seems fiddly and I only charge them every 2 weeks or so. Fortunately the entire rear section should be usable for any headset in the future. The front section may need to be reworked although I could keep the case brackets if I wanted.

IndexHolder_7213.jpg

Latest posts

Back