Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BK-LFE 4 ohm and BK-CT 2 ohm are both good. I wouldn't use anything else in their lineup. They go very low and are good for effects. The CT is supposed to work better for musical applications like for drummers. However the LFE has a bit of an extended low end that is specifically designed to work for the LFE channel.

I'd also recommend the NX4-6000 as a good 4 channel amplifier to run them assuming you need 4 channels.

For tactile having multiple transducers dedicated to specific effects can be helpful. For a home theater that shouldn't matter. You will get an LFE channel with explosions etc..

I like the TST-429 but it doesn't go below 35Hz with any power despite being very powerful at 45-100Hz. The BK-LFE will actually go down to about 5Hz. The BK-CT is close, but not quite so low.

Finished the seat isolation system and the BK-CT comes through with a lot more power now. The TST-429 feels a lot different where it's located as well and it feels better too. I also got my 4 exciters mounted to the back of my seat. I haven't tried them out yet.
Drilling_6981.jpg
ReadytoCut_6982.jpg

ReadyForSeat_6985.jpg

These mounts are surprising because I couldn't feel any flex from them, but they let the transducers vibrations through better.

SeatMounted_6988.jpg

@Robert D
The latest Valve Deckard leaks look absolutely amazing.

If Deckard actually does everything that was mentioned:

We would have....
  • OLED 4,000x4,000 per eye, with very high nit
  • 60GHz wireless
  • eye tracking
  • varifocal lenses
    • Also to correct vision so glasses wearers don't need prescription inserts
  • dynamic foveated rendering
  • Split computation with state of the art unreleased Snapdragon
  • Neural processing
  • Inside-out tracking
  • SLAM tracking 180 FOV for tracking with ultra high refresh rates
  • New hand controllers that work with SLAM tracking
  • AR hooks with pass through cameras, possible hand track

However we may not see the official announcement for this for a little while.
I also don't expect it will be cheap. I can't imagine less than $1000 for the headset alone, possibly $2,000

Last edited:
@Robert D
The latest Valve Deckard leaks look absolutely amazing.

If Deckard actually does everything that was mentioned:

We would have....
  • OLED 4,000x4,000 per eye, with very high nit
  • 60GHz wireless
  • eye tracking
  • varifocal lenses
    • Also to correct vision so glasses wearers don't need prescription inserts
  • dynamic foveated rendering
  • Split computation with state of the art unreleased Snapdragon
  • Neural processing
  • Inside-out tracking
  • SLAM tracking 180 FOV for tracking with ultra high refresh rates
  • New hand controllers that work with SLAM tracking
  • AR hooks with pass through cameras, possible hand track

However we may not see the official announcement for this for a little while.
I also don't expect it will be cheap. I can't imagine less than $1000 for the headset alone, possibly $2,000
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder what the FOV will be? Any mention of the sound system on them?

It sounds like an end game device, but the field of VR is still so new! It's exciting to think about what's on the way in the next 10 years.

Hopefully much of it will continue to become more affordable for the masses. When that happens we will have many more high quality games. I'd like one of those platforms that's like a 360 degree treadmill to walk on. That's really incredible for immersion I bet.

The 180 FOV mentioned is for hand tracking, not the VR horizontal FOV.
Not sure what their FOV will be, but with 4,000x4,000 pixels in each eye they should be able to get a decent FOV without losing enough per inch resolution for us to care.

The new consumer Varjo has 2,880 x 2,720 resolution and ZERO screen door effect and very close to retina display resolution (about 60%). The reviews have been absolutely gushing.... Just saying that the Index could have a larger FOV and still compete with resolution per inch.

Also take some of this with a grain of salt. It's not an official announcement. We don't know when it's coming either.

IEEE802. 11ad 60GHz V-band Wi-Fi standard has 4.6Gbps Throughput which is 4 x the previous top 5GHz bandwidth.

Varjo is using NVidia's DSS with 3:1 compression just to get it's 2,880x2720 resolution over wire. That's because current Nvidia cards don't support the latest DisplayPort 2.0 spec which is nearly 80Gbps.

That means Varjo is compressing 3:1 to fit inside 25.92Gbps or roughly 5 times the bandwidth of the 60GHz spec.

That tells me that the 60GHz spec is approximately 1/20th the capacity required for uncompressed video for the Deckard.

3:1 is visually lossless, so you probably wouldn't notice it. That leaves us with an additional 7:1 compression to handle.

The question is whether the onboard processing that is designed to take a load off the GPU will allow for that additional 7:1 compression.

So will it be enough? Possibly enough to look great, but with a bit of detail compression, but I'm guessing.

IEEE802. 11ad 60GHz V-band Wi-Fi standard has 4.6Gbps Throughput which is 4 x the previous top 5GHz bandwidth.

Varjo is using NVidia's DSS with 3:1 compression just to get it's 2,880x2720 resolution over wire. That's because current Nvidia cards don't support the latest DisplayPort 2.0 spec which is nearly 80Gbps.

That means Varjo is compressing 3:1 to fit inside 25.92Gbps or roughly 5 times the bandwidth of the 60GHz spec.

That tells me that the 60GHz spec is approximately 1/20th the capacity required for uncompressed video for the Deckard.

3:1 is visually lossless, so you probably wouldn't notice it. That leaves us with an additional 7:1 compression to handle.

The question is whether the onboard processing that is designed to take a load off the GPU will allow for that additional 7:1 compression.

So will it be enough? Possibly enough to look great, but with a bit of detail compression, but I'm guessing.
Great analysis, thanks. Makes a lot of sense. Only time will tell how high a res they can produce wirelessly.

I don't trust Pimax and the fact that they are preannouncing a product a full year out seems desperate. They are also known to have their ship dates slip buy as much a year or longer.

However, they are basically repeating the Deckard play list plus 200 degree horizontal FOV, 135 degree vertical FOV, automatic IPD adjustment, 60GHz wifiFi, QLED high color gamut, high contrast low latency screen, face, hand, body tracking, etc...

What this announcement does is make me believe that the Valve Deckard leaks are much more plausible and I believe Valve is much more likely to create a solid product and release it when they say they will.

I don't trust Pimax and the fact that they are preannouncing a product a full year out seems desperate. They are also known to have their ship dates slip buy as much a year or longer.

However, they are basically repeating the Deckard play list plus 200 degree horizontal FOV, 135 degree vertical FOV, automatic IPD adjustment, 60GHz wifiFi, QLED high color gamut, high contrast low latency screen, face, hand, body tracking, etc...

What this announcement does is make me believe that the Valve Deckard leaks are much more plausible and I believe Valve is much more likely to create a solid product and release it when they say they will.

I believe Pimax is a Chinese company, and that's something I don't trust at all. I've never even considered their headset.

Just joined a local MakerSpace and got the tour last night.
I'm pretty excited. They have a LOT here and are expanding. They'll have a metal kiln soon for sand casting and are taking over another floor of the building.

ALL the tools I can't fit in my shop space can fit here! :)

kmMill.jpg
kmLathe.jpg
kmMetalBandsaw.jpg
kmSurfaceGrinder.jpg
kmBrakePress.jpg

kmWeldingArea.jpg

kmLaserCutter.jpg
kmWoodWorking.jpg
kmSewing.jpg

@Robert D
There are new leaks that seem to confirm that the new Valve Deckard will in fact have wireless support!
In addition that they will rotate the rectangular display to get taller and wider FOV.
It will likely have both an 8 core and 4 core chip for split rendering offloading a bunch of processing away from the GPU.
4Kx4K displays or 16Mp per eye! micro OLED 10,000 nits 10 bit HDR color

Very cool stuff!!!!!
Finally got my real certified for racing 6 point harness. The difference is remarkable. The buckles are extremely easy to loosen and cinch tight. They hold tight as well and don't creep like my knock off Sabelts did. They are also much more comfortable.
crowharness_7034.jpg

@Robert D
There are new leaks that seem to confirm that the new Valve Deckard will in fact have wireless support!
In addition that they will rotate the rectangular display to get taller and wider FOV.
It will likely have both an 8 core and 4 core chip for split rendering offloading a bunch of processing away from the GPU.
4Kx4K displays or 16Mp per eye! micro OLED 10,000 nits 10 bit HDR color

Very cool stuff!!!!!
Finally got my real certified for racing 6 point harness. The difference is remarkable. The buckles are extremely easy to loosen and cinch tight. They hold tight as well and don't creep like my knock off Sabelts did. They are also much more comfortable.
View attachment 22096
A lot of the guys at the track use a harness like that. I should try one out on my 911. Going around corners is tough without one.

A lot of the guys at the track use a harness like that. I should try one out on my 911. Going around corners is tough without one.

The "real" race car drivers tell me that when they hit the brakes they are hanging on their harness with about 2 G's of force and that you just have to let the harness do it's thing.

Crow harnesses are reasonable in cost compared to Shroud and Sabelt.

I'm very much liking this harness. For my sim rig it is a nice fit because the shoulder harness strap anchors and buckles can slide right off and I can position the lap buckles where ever I want so they are outside my seat shell and don't dig into me. This harness was designed to bolt directly behind the seat and not to the floor which allowed this tidy installation. There is a place under the G-Belt to secure the webbing.

Crowharness_7032.jpg

The "real" race car drivers tell me that when they hit the brakes they are hanging on their harness with about 2 G's of force and that you just have to let the harness do it's thing.

Crow harnesses are reasonable in cost compared to Shroud and Sabelt.

I'm very much liking this harness. For my sim rig it is a nice fit because the shoulder harness strap anchors and buckles can slide right off and I can position the lap buckles where ever I want so they are outside my seat shell and don't dig into me. This harness was designed to bolt directly behind the seat and not to the floor which allowed this tidy installation. There is a place under the G-Belt to secure the webbing.

View attachment 22104
I mainly feel I need it when going around corners. I don't drive to the limit though, never slam on the breaks like an emergency stop.

Back