Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . . and where's the third shoe for the dead pedal?

Speaking of dead pedals and clutches, is your rig setup for both clutch and clutch-less operation? So you could shift "old school" H pattern with clutch needed for every shift, or sequential with clutch only needed to get going.

The brake pedal and clutch are on a plate with quick releases so I can slide them both to the left when I'm using paddle shifters.

I mostly row gears in Rally. I love the old Rally B cars! Lancia Stratos, Audi Quattro, etc..

In this picture you can see my Quaife 6 speed gear box, a hand brake, a sequential shifter lever and paddle shifters behind the wheel.

I decide what I want to use depending on the car I'm in.

There is even a tactile "grinding gears" effect if you didn't shift well. In the MX-5 if you just pop the clutch the seat mover will buck you a bit.

Right now the clutch pedal and shifter are not truly linked. I'm on the pre-order list for a hydraulic lockout that will be mapped to the clutch pedal and not allow you to change gears until you have the clutch depressed.

BeltsInPlace_6750.jpg

No more updates for a little while.
My 4 x exciters are backordered until November 19th.

I had a number of other pieces drop. This simple 4 channel PA amp and connectors to allow me to add an inline DSP not only to this amp, but to my other high power 4 channel amp.

Amplifier_6821.jpg
Amplifier_6823.jpg

I installed my new Dual 8 Pole receiver on my rig and I'll wire up the the amplifiers 4 x 2 pole Neutrik connectors to another 8 pole connector.
DualNeutrik_6829.jpg

Lots of design going on. I'm working with a guy who has through extensive trial and error developed an excellent isolation system.

This is specifically designed to move up/down and very little fore/aft. So they should be extremely stable.

I just printed a mount for use with his Race-Base isolation. I'm 3D printing new mounts for my pedal deck.

RaceBaseon3Dmount_6870.jpg

More printing to go.
RaceBaseFootPlate.jpg

Then the fun part.
I need to fabricate a bunch of aluminum so I can isolate my seat.

OffAxisNLRmount.jpg
NLRv3Mountcloseupback.jpg
NLRv3Mountcloseupfront.jpg

With your system, what happens when you slam on the brakes and the car comes to an emergency stop. You mentioned not much motion forward or back. Is there something to simulate how momentum pushes you back in the seat when you hit the gas hard and pushes you forward toward the steering when if you hit the brakes hard?

With your system, what happens when you slam on the brakes and the car comes to an emergency stop. You mentioned not much motion forward or back. Is there something to simulate how momentum pushes you back in the seat when you hit the gas hard and pushes you forward toward the steering when if you hit the brakes hard?

I've got the G-Belt to pull back when I'm braking and the motion system does still move some, but not as much as before.

But of course you know that there is something out there that does that and a number of other things...
https://www.simxperience.com/shop/gs-5-g-seat-711#attr=

Printed an example of the rear supports. Both work well, so the second pair are printing.

RearRaceBaseMount_6874.jpg

Then I need to drill more holes in my foot plate.
FootPlate_6880.jpg

And I need to make new tabs for the back.

NewRearTabstock_6872.jpg

I've got the G-Belt to pull back when I'm braking and the motion system does still move some, but not as much as before.

But of course you know that there is something out there that does that and a number of other things...
https://www.simxperience.com/shop/gs-5-g-seat-711#attr=

Printed an example of the rear supports. Both work well, so the second pair are printing.

View attachment 21956

Then I need to drill more holes in my foot plate.
View attachment 21957

And I need to make new tabs for the back.

View attachment 21958
That seat looks awesome. Have you ever got to try one out? Your setup is just about complete id say. Looks amazing. I was just looking at the new HTC Focus 3 headset. It can run wireless and has a total resolution of 4896x2448. Looks pretty great. Going wireless though will reduce your res, at least for now. Still would be better than what I have now. A review I watched seemed to think its not quite worth buying yet because there are a few things to be improved. The field of VR is evolving fairly fast now. That new occulus headset is only $300 too. WIth stuff like that, there are going to be a lot more VR PC gamers soon and hopefully that will spur on development even more as the number of potential customers skyrockets.

I myself still just have the original HTC Vive. Holding off for a great wireless headset like the Focus 3. Its nice too because you dont need the motion camera sensors on the wall.

I'd wait off for the Index 2. So far it looks like it could be amazing!
Also the 40 series NVidia cards are currently expected to be TWICE as fast as the 30 series, so they could actually push a high res headset well.

HTC may have been the first to market with a complete VR system, but I absolutely would not show them brand loyalty. They have been hitting foul balls with almost everything since then. I wouldn't touch anything by them with a 10 foot pole. There are now more Index headsets out than every HTC headset ever produced. Valve is innovating in a bunch of new directions. Their next headset should be a huge jump. HTC had to cover themselves and go commercial only because they couldn't make a competitive consumer product.

I'd wait off for the Index 2. So far it looks like it could be amazing!
Also the 40 series NVidia cards are currently expected to be TWICE as fast as the 30 series, so they could actually push a high res headset well.

HTC may have been the first to market with a complete VR system, but I absolutely would not show them brand loyalty. They have been hitting foul balls with almost everything since then. I wouldn't touch anything by them with a 10 foot pole. There are now more Index headsets out than every HTC headset ever produced. Valve is innovating in a bunch of new directions. Their next headset should be a huge jump. HTC had to cover themselves and go commercial only because they couldn't make a competitive consumer product.
Yeah, I'm looking to Valve as well. I'm not getting a new headset until they have wireless that can deliver 4896x2448 like the wired has now. Reviews say that at that resolution the screen door effect is gone.

I hope Valve works real hard on getting high res wireless like that. Reviews I've seen on the Valve that is out now are claiming reliability is abysmal. Not sure about that. My HTC Vive has been very reliable, except for the controller. One of the has a track pad that is broken in one direction. Other than that, zero problems.

The Valve Index is the most popular VR headset that isn't on a console or a stand alone like the Oculus Quest.

I know a ton of people with them who swear by them. I've had mine for over 2 years and it has been flawless. I LOVE the Index controllers and the headset is amazingly comfortable and has the best audio out there.

A few people I know who swear by their Index have tried HTC, Pimax, HP Reverb and others and continue to come back to the Index.

Based on everything I've read and watched the Index is the absolute best headset out today in terms of build quality, ergonomics, frame rate, and hand controllers. There are two with wider field of view, one has QC issues and the other is unobtanium. There are a number with higher resolution right now but that fall short in numerous other categories.

HTC just can't make a product that is competitive anymore and are just an also ran at this point.

The Valve Index is the most popular VR headset that isn't on a console or a stand alone like the Oculus Quest.

I know a ton of people with them who swear by them. I've had mine for over 2 years and it has been flawless. I LOVE the Index controllers and the headset is amazingly comfortable and has the best audio out there.

A few people I know who swear by their Index have tried HTC, Pimax, HP Reverb and others and continue to come back to the Index.

Based on everything I've read and watched the Index is the absolute best headset out today in terms of build quality, ergonomics, frame rate, and hand controllers. There are two with wider field of view, one has QC issues and the other is unobtanium. There are a number with higher resolution right now but that fall short in numerous other categories.

HTC just can't make a product that is competitive anymore and are just an also ran at this point.
I cant remember, can the index run on wireless? Im thinking it can use the wireless adapter from the HTC Vive?

If it does, do you know what resolution it is capable on when wireless? Seems with the Focus that it isnt capable of providing the full 4896x2448 res, at least for now.

I haven't looked at wireless solutions at all. I use a tripod light stand with spring loaded cable reel specifically for holding VR wires that holds my wire up while I'm in my rig and I guess I've gotten used to having a wire on the floor in room scale so much that I don't think about it.

The Index has a fairly long wire compared to others. I realize this is a make it break it item for your, but even the self contained systems like the Oculus Quest require a tether to run off a PC.

There is a Quest Pro coming that will boast higher resolution and as before it is completely self contained, so you can play games that work on a Quest anywhere you want with no wires or PC. You might enjoy that.

I haven't looked at wireless solutions at all. I use a tripod light stand with spring loaded cable reel specifically for holding VR wires that holds my wire up while I'm in my rig and I guess I've gotten used to having a wire on the floor in room scale so much that I don't think about it.

The Index has a fairly long wire compared to others. I realize this is a make it break it item for your, but even the self contained systems like the Oculus Quest require a tether to run off a PC.

There is a Quest Pro coming that will boast higher resolution and as before it is completely self contained, so you can play games that work on a Quest anywhere you want with no wires or PC. You might enjoy that.
I will end up getting another one in a generation or two down the line I'd say. Development in vr and wireless vr is actually progressing faster than I thought it would.

Right now I don't even play ours any. My daughter loves it for beat Saber. We both want one that is wireless and better balanced. That new Focus 3 is supposed to be 50/50 weight front to back and wireless if you want. I think in another gen or 2 it's going to be amazing.

I'd love to get one of those platforms that's omnidirectional and let's you walk or run in place. Kinda like what they show in the movie Ready Player One. Would be awesome to not have to click on the floor when you reach the end of your boundary in room scale.

Starting my test fit 3D prints. I'll use the 3D printed parts as templates to fabricate the aluminum parts once I'm happy with them.
TestFit3.jpg

Initial prints for the left side. They fit reasonably well, but I've made a few hole placement changes and adjustments after running a motion test.

NLRv3 iteration_6919.jpg

So much work for just one setup. Can you replicate it all and produce another compete rig fairly fast? Wondering if you have any friends or acquaintances that would like one. It would be great if others could enjoy all of your hard work.

I share my 3D prints on Thingaverse.
I'm working with a guy to design a tactile mounting solution for general use that will be something that can be just bolted up to most profile rigs. I'm doing the CAD work for production parts related to this right now.

Otherwise the answer is basically no. This is in the labor of love / obsession category. I've never taken the time to create drawings for most of what I've built and a certainly haven't made tooling to quickly turn additional parts. I've been approached about half a dozen times by people asking me if I could make something for them. The problem is that at my hourly rate it doesn't make any sense for me to do that.

I did create that one production run of Quick Release wheel hangars, and figuring out how to produce those was interesting, but actual manufacturing is the most boring thing I could ever imagine.

I share my 3D prints on Thingaverse.
I'm working with a guy to design a tactile mounting solution for general use that will be something that can be just bolted up to most profile rigs. I'm doing the CAD work for production parts related to this right now.

Otherwise the answer is basically no. This is in the labor of love / obsession category. I've never taken the time to create drawings for most of what I've built and a certainly haven't made tooling to quickly turn additional parts. I've been approached about half a dozen times by people asking me if I could make something for them. The problem is that at my hourly rate it doesn't make any sense for me to do that.

I did create that one production run of Quick Release wheel hangars, and figuring out how to produce those was interesting, but actual manufacturing is the most boring thing I could ever imagine.
I totally understand that all. Sharing your blue prints online sounds great. I bet the site has all sorts of different prints.

So far so good. Things are fitting together nicely.
It will be nice having 3D printed parts to verify against when I start milling aluminum.

4Corners_6931.jpg

There will be solid plates extending from left to right, but I'm using these white pieces disjointed to verify the width.

Plating_6936.jpg

Progress....

Finished the front.
NewRearTabs_6956.jpg

Got the back very close!
RawMaterials_6961.jpg
MarkedUp_6962.jpg
MarkedUP_6963.jpg
Parts_6965.jpg
BaseInPlace_6970.jpg

Final test fit for the Front and rear plates.
TestFit_6977.jpg

I ran out of steam and didn't finish today :( But I make it a point not to run my larger power tools when I feel fatigued and I'm pretty worn out.

Last edited:
Got a question for you. So if you were using a "buttkicker" in your seating for a home theater, would you use the Buttkicker brand? I think there are others, but it looks like you have chosen them. Id like to put in some in my next home theater, and im wondering which brand performs best and what is a good value for performance.

Latest posts

Back