Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpegDo cooking and baking count as an obsessive hobby? At the end of the day, after working all day with vaporware, it used to be great to come home and work on something I could actually eat (it was tangible). And no, I don't weigh 400lb; I'm a 150lb weakling!

View attachment 19164Do cooking and baking count as an obsessive hobby? At the end of the day, after working all day with vaporware, it used to be great to come home and work on something I could actually eat (it was tangible). And no, I don't weigh 400lb; I'm a 150lb weakling!

Bernard, if I ever make it back to Ottawa I know where I'm coming for breakfast !

Nice gear! I caved recently and upgraded to an R58 V2 and Baratza Forte. God shots no problem.

Cheers

I understand Rocket gear is really really good, so i imagine it would easily be god shot capable.

The bezerra is also capable at times of that, but it is critical to get the grind right.

I just realised that it is an old photo and I have since upgraded the grinder to a Bezerra BB004 doser.

The equipment is very cramped in our small kitchen but we are about to build a new one and the coffee equipment will soon have its own separate bench with sink and plumbing. Also with nice bright down lights to show them off

Last edited:
The bezerra is also capable at times of that, but it is critical to get the grind right.

So very true! I had been using a Rancilio Rocky w/doser, but accurate, repeatable dosing was problematic and consistent shots were.....challenging. The new Forté with its flat ceramic burrs will grind finer, has literally hundreds of repeatable grind settings, and measures each dose to within 0.1g. Now, not only are my shots consistent, but I can easily dial in a new bean variety within 2-3 shots.

Current favorite: Blue Flame medium espresso roast

Ken

I've been on another woodworking adventure. I decided to flock the top 4 shallow drawers in my new 16 drawer tool/toy cabinet for my office.
With the equipment I keep accumulating, this does appear to boarder on obsessive.

flockinginset.jpg

My biggest limitation being that all my tools have to fit in the corner of my garage at the end of each day.

inthecorner.jpg

I'm envious of Mark's woodworking abilities and collection of tools. I need a lower stand for my hifi system. I've seen a gorgeous one online in wood, but the CAD $5K price is high.

Last edited:
I'm envious of Mark's woodworking abilities and collection of tools. I need a lower stand for my hifi system. I've see a gorgeous one online in wood, but the CAD $5K price is high.

I appreciate the thought. Everything I build is something I designed because I couldn't buy it off the shelf and the way I wood work definitely falls into the labor of love category because for example this chest of drawers will be WAY past $5K in terms of my time at my billable rate without including any tools or materials.

Very nice work Mark :bowdown: , you should be proud! Making something with your own to hands is an art my friend!

Some GreenLight Gulf goodies racing their way to Casa de le stu ...Gulf Ford F-150 '66 Bronco and flatbed trailer.jpg Gulf Ford F-150 and car hauler.jpg Gulf Ford F-150 and car hauler.1.jpg

Gotta have a 'Stang for that trailer Gulf '67 Stang.jpg and a couple of these for good measure Gulf '15 Nissan GT-R.jpg

More... Gulf '16 Camaro SS.jpg Gulf '63 Dodge D-100 P'up.jpg Gulf '13 International 33060A race hauler with man pump.jpg Gulf International DuraStar.1.jpg

Growing up on race tracks in the '60's, I have a special place for these in my black little heart!

Mark, that is the issue us diecast guys and gals face...to open and display or not. In the long run keeping the package will increase the value by 50% many years down the road. GreenLight makes very sturdy packaging so that's a plus. I sometimes buy multiples so I can one up, these Gulf's are pricey and some are limited to under 3,000 units for the whole planet. Making them an instant collectible. They just came out so I bought at a decent price, they will start to double next year when supplies run low.

The Johnny Lightening 'Gone Fishin' series with the Olds VistaCruiser in black and red with fishing boat is already getting scarce with less than 2,000 copies, of course I have both :p

I always try to keep a few Hot Wheels and Matchbox in the original cards, who knows where the market will go $$ wise in the future, I have a feel for some of these. Glad I did, some have gone from just a $1 car or truck to over $8 in a year, who knows where 20 years from now?

Just a tip for someone just getting into this, the Matchbox '71 Skyline GTX is a very hot item. It comes in two versions called 'racing seat belts' and without belts, the neat thing is each has a different engine you can't see under a hood that does not open. Crazy cool stuff! Then you have two different cards, one has the blue car (more common here in North America) and a silver car. I bought a set online with 2 vari's of each blue car card and one each in the silver car card for a very reasonable price. The casting on this car is amazing, very true to the original 1:1, great detail that begs to be detailed out with some paint and chrome foil, and maybe a wheel swap.

MB '71 Skyline set.jpg sstp-1003-01-o+1971-nissan-skyline+front-view.jpg JL '64 Vistacruiser red.jpg JL '64 Vistacruiser with ski boat blk.jpg

Last edited:
Back