Obsessive hobbies....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

RCHeliGuy

Reaction score
This is somewhat amplifier related. I was VERY surprised how little power my 4 x 1500W amplifier is pulling driving 2 x 2 ohm 1500W transducers and 2 x 4 ohm 160W transducers.

I realize there is no way that an amp that claims to be able to put out 6000W pulling from an 1800W circuit can do that for more than a transient and that the amps are probably "ideally rated".

But from what I could see it appears that they spend all their time topping off the capacitors, because I don't see more than a 50W increase when heavy transducer action is happening.

My gaming computer, transducer amplifiers, seat mover, 25Nm direct drive steering wheelbase and G-Belt with to actuators that simulate up to 2 G's of force only pull about 600W total peak and are normally closer to 500W between major motion/tactile input. That's some efficient hardware.

I'm in no way making a comment about the musicality of the Behringer amps. I'm using DSP's to confine the signal they are amplifying to between about 5Hz to about 100Hz, but they are handling my transducers very well :)

JonFo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My gaming computer, transducer amplifiers, seat mover, 25Nm direct drive steering wheelbase and G-Belt with to actuators that simulate up to 2 G's of force only pull about 600W total peak and are normally closer to 500W between major motion/tactile input. That's some efficient hardware.
Agreed, quite efficient, I'd expect a Kw or more as the peak.

RCHeliGuy

Reaction score
Finished the clock. The video below is 1080P and shows it in motion.

ClockDone_8026.jpg

RCHeliGuy

Reaction score
Did you design the blueprint for that!? Impressive. Really cool.
This is not my creation. It is the year long project of a mechanical engineer. He did a great job with it. The 144 page instructions were well written and the parts were very well designed. It had many jigs to help adjust for small deviations in print sizes. In a couple rate instances there were as many as 18 different variations for parts to make sure that they meshed together well.

I normally do not build anything I don't design, but I was able to learn things from his design that I'll be able to use later.

Robert D

Reaction score
Your work here led to me wondering how mechanical watches have been made for centuries. How did they make such small gears for wrist watches? Especially considering the technology way back when. Even today, I have no idea how they can cut parts so small. Anyone know how its done? Ive got a couple of mechanical Hamilton watches that self wind. Cool tech that is very old.

RCHeliGuy

Reaction score
There are special machining tools for clock making. My maker center actually has a clock milling machine, but it is currently a large paper weight. I don't think it is high on the list to be repaired and I'm not sure who would use it if they got it working.

Below is an example of a "relatively" recent clock making lathe.
I assume before this there were steam/water wheel/wind powered devices or maybe even pedal operation like the old sewing machines.
1647783115760.png

Robert D

Reaction score
There are special machining tools for clock making. My maker center actually has a clock milling machine, but it is currently a large paper weight. I don't think it is high on the list to be repaired and I'm not sure who would use it if they got it working.

Below is an example of a "relatively" recent clock making lathe.
I assume before this there were steam/water wheel/wind powered devices or maybe even pedal operation like the old sewing machines.
View attachment 22498
It's just that the tiny gears in a wrist watch are so small. All the parts are. Pretty cool if that machine is capable of making something so small.

RCHeliGuy

Reaction score
Latest addition mostly for pre-race setup and tweaking settings now that there are so many settings :)
In the video you can see that the engine effects are for V6-8 engines, V10, Audi, Lambo and a V4 is coming soon for turbocharged 4's.
Typically I would find something that is good overall and just use it for everything in game. Now I can very easily tweak what I feel depending on the car I'm driving in game.

StreamDeckMountDone_8076.jpg
FitsWell_8061.jpg

Robert D

Reaction score
Hum, you're using the Steam Deck with it. How well does the device work for you? I read good things. More and more games being certified these days. Wondering if you've played games on it too.

RCHeliGuy

Reaction score
I'm using it to launch applications pre game ( there are a PILE ) and to control the tactile effects.

So far I like it a lot.

I purchased a 2nd XL for my work computer and I've got 5 sets of screens 3 setup for specific customers with VPN clients, cloud and on premise URLS' Remote desktop, time billing links, Window organizer plugin features. Spotify plugin, and piles of other stuff.

I guess I skipped right over printing a magnetic base for it that I could bolt to my rig.

MagnetsIn_8074.jpg