NY Home Entertainment Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Many surprises at the show - unfortunately, many negative. ML is not in sight - no dealer demos, no manufacturer demos. I don't ever remember not having ML as a factor at these shows.

Sony is not there at all. Hot rumor is that Sony will no longer manufacture SACDs. The weird thing is they continue to support the format via hardware.

AIX Records had a great demo using Piega speakers, Meridian and Innersound electronics. As a dedicated stereo fan, I was very much impressed with the equipment and the DVD As.

I'd be interested in hearing other comments.

Bummed as well...

Just like "Aliveatfive", was highly disappointed in the HES, especially since there was no Martin Logan presence. Most of the other big hitters were absent as well. Did not go to the premiere showing in Delaware, which would have been quite a schlep from central CT, since I figured that M-L would be in NYC. Not that I have 10k wearing a hole in my pocket but I was really looking forward to hearing the Summits. Now I guess I will be forced to either Boston or NYC to listen.

Big Guy -

FYI - Before the show I stopped at Overture in Delaware on my way back from DC. I wanted to hear the Summit. It was not there! They said ML had shipped the only display pair to France to let French audiophiles have a crack at it. Was told displays in the US would not take place until mid May.

BTW, there are 2 ML dealers on Long Island if you choose to ferry your way across the sound.

Last edited:
Show was big letdown for me to. The layout was horrible. Went to hopefully see some ML's and Projecters. Didnt get either. The projecters that were used
were mostly older models used for demoing sound or screen etc.
Found the demo on this product most depressing. According to the split screens they showed it was an amazing difference. More cables ! :(

http://www.belkin.com/presspage/Releases/01_05_05RazorVisionCables.html

ARC demos their new Ref 610T power amp at hi-end show in France as does ML with its Summit. We in the US get none of this. What's going on here?

No info but IMO the reason is that big two channel market is dying in this country, with the advent of home theater. The ARC and Summit are aimed at the two channel market which is not nearly as strong here today as it was ten years ago.

I think the number of comments in this forum concering the Summit are testament to the large number of people still embracing stereo in this country. Are we to assume that Europe has replaced the US as the primary market for the equipment of American manufacturers?

Well, comments are not sales. Tire kicking at audio shops is as old as the hobby. As the years go by, the volume and dollar amount of high end audio has gone down steadily. With the weak dollar big ticket items like the Summit are cheaper in Europe so manufacturers are going to where the sales are. ML is going to aggresively pursue the overseas market but obviously will still sell much (most?) of its production here.

Glad I didn't make the pilgrimage!

aliveatfive said:
Big Guy -

FYI - Before the show I stopped at Overture in Delaware on my way back from DC. I wanted to hear the Summit. It was not there! They said ML had shipped the only display pair to France to let French audiophiles have a crack at it. Was told displays in the US would not take place until mid May.

BTW, there are 2 ML dealers on Long Island if you choose to ferry your way across the sound.

Would not have driven to Delaware without arranging for an audition, but thanks for the heads up. With the advent of nice weather, it might be nice to ferrry across the pond for the day. Who are the dealers on Long Island? Dealer search on M-L website did not indicate any NY dealers, but then again, Sound by Singer wasn't listed either although Overture was. Don't figure.

On another thread, "Frank K" reports from Munich being really impressed with the "transparency and clearness" of the Summit. Would be interesting to know what the supporting equipment was.

BigGuy-

The two dealers are Harvey Electronics in Greenvale (Nassau County) and AudioVisions in Babylon (Suffolk County.) I've done business with both and find them both satisfactory. I've also purchased ML stuff from both of these dealers. If I decide to purchase the Summit, it might be from one of these. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

On another thread, "Frank K" reports from Munich being really impressed with the "transparency and clearness" of the Summit. Would be interesting to know what the supporting equipment was.

Hi,

here I have the informations reg. the equipment :
- Stereo-Poweramp PASS X 350.5
- Turntable Nouvelle Platine, arm Linn Ekos / Lyra Titan
- CD-Player emmLabs CDSD Transport and DCC2 Decoder
- Phono-Amp. Pass XOne and NAC 552 from Naim Audio
- Cable Wire World Gold Eclipse for XOne and NAC 552,
Kimber Select 1030 for emmLabs and NAC 552
- 7.5 meter balanced interconnects (Linn) from Naim
to Pass X 350.5,
Fadel Coherence speaker cable

I hope this is interesting for you.