Nothing better than sitting back and listening to the Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I swear, there is nothing better than sitting back and listening to the Summits. After a long day of review classes, studying, and practice exam questions - there is nothing better than lounging back in my white plastic chair and listening to 5-6 songs and just relaxing before I do my post-midnight ritual (actually, my 2/3am ritual that involves making my lunch for tomorrow and preparing myself a small plate of chocolate cake and Milano cookies as a late night snack.... all culminating in me sitting here infront of my PC for 30 minutes posting on forums and checking to see what everyone is up to).

Tonight, I listened to several acoutic versions of John Mayer's tracks... all of them were awesome as I could hear the guitar rip through the air. I heard him at a sitting height - not too tall, not too short. The guitar was slightly in front of him at about the right size. I heard his voice trail off as he moved back from the microphone and spike as he got overly close to the mic... unreal! I love it! ;)

In addition, earlier tonight, me and my neighbor (friend) Loukas listened to hours worth of music.... though he had the chair more than me. I stayed on the sidelines reading and studying. He was very impressed and started singing with Eric Clapton and a few of his country singers whom I dont know. Loukas, who is also studying for the Boards, wasnt planning on staying for more than 15 minutes... but it ended up to be more than an hour and a half of pure music nirvana for him. :)

Anyway, if you guys have ML stories about relaxing, please do share with me. :D

Joey_V said:

Nothing beats an evening of relaxing and listening to music after "burning one down".Usual choices of music when in an altered state: :D

Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zepplin - Dazed and Confused off the Song Remains the Same Soundtrack
Roxy Music -- Avalon,in 5.1 surround
Eagles -- Hell Freezes Over DVD
Bob Marley -- Legend
Cat Stevens -- Footsteps in the Dark
Crosby Stills Nash and Young -- So Far
The Doors -- Morrison Hotel
Jetrho Tull --Living in the Past
ect.
ect.
ect.

Joey_V...was that the Room for Squares CD of John Mayer? Amazing recording and as much as I'm sure it excels on the Summits and I wish I had that extra extension at the bottom end, it also sounds lovely on the Vantages :)

theWB...awesome list of music...I've listened to all of those tracks many times over, but not with my Vantages...now I'm enjoying the experience all over again, with enhanced detail and spatial realism....it's closer to being there. Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is the ultimate in this genre...well IMHO ;)

I picked up Shirley Horn's (rip) Here's to Life CD recently....oh man, do the panels really want to play her vocals and music :)

Ascent - Descent pure listening pleasure...

Joey_V said:
Anyway, if you guys have ML stories about relaxing, please do share with me.
Joey,

I love to kick-back and listen to music with my ML Ascent i's / Descent. ;)
Last night I listened to the entire Chet Baker CD "Chet"... :D I just love that CD. ;) The first song is so great I must have listened to it three or four times last night. ML panels are simply wonderful for reproducing horns, sax, everything brass. Anyway before I knew it, it was 8:30 PM and time to go to bed. What was great was I had a wonderful dream about horns, saxes, pianos and bass guitars. :)

Joey_V said:

Nothing beats listening to Logans with the lights out and an ice cold martini or margarita in hand. The drink mellows you out and the music takes over. One of my faves is Brand New - Deja Entendu, particularly the last track "Play Crack the Sky". At the end they layer 3 or 4 vocals in kind of a cannon structure and each has their own piece of the soundstage. I can't wait for the next few months when I can hopefully get my hands on some Summits.

mapmustang said:
Nothing beats listening to Logans with the lights out and an ice cold martini or margarita in hand. The drink mellows you out and the music takes over. One of my faves is Brand New - Deja Entendu, particularly the last track "Play Crack the Sky". At the end they layer 3 or 4 vocals in kind of a cannon structure and each has their own piece of the soundstage. I can't wait for the next few months when I can hopefully get my hands on some Summits.
Good luck with the Summits... I'm sure you'll somehow pull it off! I went through quite a bit to get mine - traveling over a period of several hours several times during the school year, coordinating the budget influx and efflux, posting several speakers for sale, yadda yadda...

With regards to the lights out thing, I gotta try that.... I gotta try turning off all the lights and just listening to the Logans in the dark. I havent tried that though I've been meaning to. I bet the blue lights coming from the Summits' cabinet would make some good nightlight.

Man, I cant wait until I move to my new place and set these puppies up right.... and the amp that awaits me post-Boards.... soooo looking forward to that day!

Thanks for sharing stories guys (and gals, Robin!)... as always, this place reminds me that it's all about the music in the end..... though the gear is always a fun thing to tweak and obssess upon. :p

Last edited:
It happens most nights. I start listening around 11:00, 11:30 and tell myself that I am going to bed before midnight. Then around 1:30am I tell myself it's going to be a rough morning...but just one more song! The wife just doesn't undestand. She's of the iPod generation.

Whether burning one down, kicking one down the hatch, or just plain sober, Martin Logans ROCK!!!!

I do not currently own ML's. Just the same, there have been only less than a handful of speakers that I've heard that has retained the capability to 'soothe the soul' while keeping excellent timbre and resolution. In short; the three are Totem, Apogee, and Martin Logan (at soft volumes).

My experiences with various ML products has always been more or less the same; an immense holographic sound-stage that almost floats in the air, completely effortless at low volumes. Dim the lights down, sit in your favorite chair and put on some soft classical guitar - folk - or vocals..... what a great way to end your day!

Need I say more?

Attachments

• SonicBliss2.jpg
    SonicBliss2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 289
mapmustang said:
Nothing beats listening to Logans with the lights out and an ice cold martini or margarita in hand. The drink mellows you out and the music takes over.

See your hand and raise you... nothing beats listening in the dark, with a drink in hand, in front of a fire, with someone in your arms :)

Robin said:
Joey,

I love to kick-back and listen to music with my ML Ascent i's / Descent. ;)
Last night I listened to the entire Chet Baker CD "Chet"... :D I just love that CD. The first song is so great I must have listened to it three or four times last night. ML panels are simply wonderful for reproducing horns, sax, everything brass. Anyway before I knew it, it was 8:30 PM and time to go to bed. What was great was I had a wonderful dream about horns, saxes, pianos and bass guitars. :)

Dreaming about music? Never had that one.... I think my dreams are mute... :(

Dreams...

Joey_V said:
Dreaming about music? Never had that one.... I think my dreams are mute... :(
Joey,

Dreams are the wish the heart makes... ;)

:) My musical dream was kinda like this:

Attachments

• bowie04.jpg
    bowie04.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 227
Sitting here playing back my uspsampled (88.2/16) versions of the following:

IQ- Dark matter – an Awsome Prog rock masterpiece
Lisa Gerard and Dead can dance selections – Incredible vocals that can only be savored to their max on an ML system

After a day of tweaking the new center channel, doing hundreds (yes, hundreds) of measurements, I’m finally kicking back with some wine, the wife and great music.

The extra midrange found from that new line array and the panel updates on the Monoliths are awesome….

Joey, glad you are enjoying your Summits but I’m sticking with my rig for now. Can’t imagine anything better.

JonFo said:
The extra midrange found from that new line array and the panel updates on the Monoliths are awesome….

Joey, glad you are enjoying your Summits but I’m sticking with my rig for now. Can’t imagine anything better.

JonFo...

I'd be glad too if I had a center channel like yours. ;)

Dead Can Dance are a very awesome and misunderstood band! Toward the Within is my favorite live album. This was the first CD I heard through my MLs. I went from Ascend Acoustics (very good) to SL3s (Hello World!!!) was a revelation. The ending of the opening cut, Rakim, where Lisa Gerard's vocals come in almost brought me to tears of joy!

Back