Nobody puts Baby in the corner?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

godofpathos

Hello all. I'm new to the world of high end audio, and this forum as well. I'm looking to create my first integrated HT with a recently purchased Panasonic 42PX60U plasma and HK 340 receiver. Originally, I had budgeted no more than $300 for a full 5.1 system and was set to go with a HK or Onkyo speaker package deal without even hearing them. However, after I heard the Martin Logan Montage and Mosaics, I was too enamoured with the sound to forget about these speakers.

Even if I scrape together the money for entry level MLs, I'm not sure I can even house them in my living room. :( This space is very difficult to outfit for speakers, let alone units notorious for critical placement. I intend to use the Montage or Mosaics as my L&R, but I can only really place them in the absolute corners of my living room. People often talk of a narrow "sweet spot" for the ML ESL range of products, but I was hoping this would not really be an issue for the ATF series.

What is the minimum distance these speakers would need to be from the front and side walls? In one corner (where I intend to place the L speaker), there is only an 8x8" space which then immediately opens into a Spanish archway on either side, each leading into an adjacent room. I know a speaker should not be placed flush against a surface, but if I were to shift it more than a few inches from either wall, the unit would partially block one of the exits from the living room.

In the other corner, there is a 10" wide clearance between a masked radiator and the side wall. If a R speaker were to be placed here, I could move it forward from the back wall with relative ease, but since there is only 10" between the radiator and the wall, moving it from the side wall would not be possible unless I do not place it in the little niche. (I also suppose whatever distance I placed the R speaker forward, the L should be the same).

I could provide snapshots or draw up a floor plan of the space I'm talking about if it would help.

Last edited:
Not Optimal!

I don't mean to be negative, but with the placement issues you have ML's are not going to sound right. You need a speaker designed for boundary placement. ML's require, IMO, at least 2 feet of space from the rear wall and more from the sides. I don't know if "Allison" speakers are still made but they were designed for placement next to a boundary.

Placement of dipolar speakers is critical for optimum performance. Having said that, Mosaics or Montage placed in a corner are still going to sound better than a lesser quality speaker. You could buy used and if you don't like them you could sell them. You could also use wall treatments to help offset the rear reflections.

Another thing to consider is the amp driving the speakers. Not sure if your HK is up to the task but then again I really don't know. I own an HK 7200 wich is wouderful for home theater and music but I use a seperate amp to drive Aeon i mains and Cinema i center.

You could also use a more conventional speaker in the same price range. If my memory serves me, Monitor Audio silver series was a nice sounding speaker. Sorry but I forget the model but the price was comparable. I am sure there are many others that the members could chime in. And of course as always, "Trust Your Ears!".

Are you able to try the speakers in your room? Of course, this is not optimal, but it may well be acceptable if you try it.

1: Mosaics and Montages are better suited to placing close to the wall than electrostatic MLs

2: An ML close to the wall will still sound better than a lesser speaker close to the wall - that is my opinion.

Looks like you're in a fairly good position!

Latest posts

Back