No walls

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Just finished reading the other post on 'best room shape' and was curious if any of you have ever set up your logans temporarily on your outdoor patio?

I came across a post many months back on a guy who did this, and he said they sounded amazing.

thoughts??

About five years ago the cover of Listener magazine (how I miss them) had such an image on the cover. There was a short commentary about it. I think at some point the author tried it.

Lost 50 % or more of the sound pressure levels.

Near field listening required because of low volume.

Car traffic, aircraft in the distance, insects, wind through the grass; all contributed to distraction or background noise.

If you try it, make sure it's not windy, and no birds are around. :)

If memory serves:
The conclusion was that the entry level PA system by Radio Shack did a better job of delivering the music in an outside environment than his high-end system.

Would be similar to listening in an anechoic room wouldn't it? No reflections, reverberations, standing waves, etc.

Have not tried it - would like to, but the effort in getting all the equipment outside would be prohibitive!

Good point.

If I recall the article correctly there was NO STAGE .

No front of the hall, middle or back.

Width - what width? Unlimited width in a way - the sound never bounced off the missing wall.

It was supposed to be a open floating "sound source" free of earthy entanglements. Kind of like music in heaven - up in the clouds but no body.

SugarMedia said:
Just finished reading the other post on 'best room shape' and was curious if any of you have ever set up your logans temporarily on your outdoor patio?

I came across a post many months back on a guy who did this, and he said they sounded amazing.

thoughts??
Hola...also with the back wall, the time to get the negative transient and negative wave to the back wall and returns to our seat, there is a delay in time, producing the effect as a theater (dipolar). We need the back wall, to produce this effect. If you don't have back wall, you will get only the positive wave, and you will not be using the dipolar advantage on all ML. To my ears, this is very important for the right size of the instruments and also the stage and scenario of the musicians performing for you...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

In our large back room where the Logans are we can do the no side walls. Large sliding doors open either side with a completely open space of 9m either side. Still have a 'front wall' 6m behind the speakers and side walls of 1.5m abutting.

The sound is nothing short of spectacular with the speakers effectively firing from an ampitheatre back into the house. Can't do this too often as it needs all the neighbours to be away so they are not assaulted with our taste in music.

Kevin

kwr said:
Large sliding doors open either side with a completely open space of 9m either side.
Okay, you owe us a picture................sounds wonderful.:)

Latest posts

Back