$ No Object - Could Have Only One Component In Your System - What Would You Choose?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. That room would definitely bring the most out of any system. How could you top that? I read the entire article a couple of years ago. The room was originally built to be a horse barn and he spared no expense to transform it into the ultimate dedicated sound no-compromise sound room. Didn't Rives Acoustics do the design and construction? That room has to be the winner.

I did see on Audiogon over a year ago that this same individual sold the speakers. I wonder what he replaced them with? I'd like to see an update on "The Room".

If you're interested in reading about this here's the link
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

Last edited:
Craig said:
I did see on Audiogon over a year ago that this same individual sold the speakers. I wonder what he replaced them with? I'd like to see an update on "The Room".

If you're interested in reading about this here's the link
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

He sold the Karmas, bought the Von Schweikert VR9s.... then sold that recently and is awaiting delivery of the vaunted, mighty, superbly powerful, totally excessive... *drumroll*... Von Schweikert VR11!!

At $150,000, it is a MONSTER. I dont even need to put any exclamation marks into that sentence.

vr11_LG.jpg

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
He sold the Karmas, bought the Von Schweikert VR9s.... then sold that recently and is awaiting delivery of the vaunted, mighty, superbly powerful, totally excessive... *drumroll*... Von Schweikert VR11!!

At $150,000, it is a MONSTER. I dont even need to put any exclamation marks into that sentence.

Humpf, with that room and speaker budget, should have tried a Statement E2.
Thay would have saved a few bucks and gained in performance.

Have to love this room. The constant changing of gear however suggests a level of performance anxiety that most of us can only aspire to.

There is something 'wrong' about these huge multiple driver/crossover statement speakers. I am sure they are probably extraordinary but do they sing. I listened to the full blown Gryphon Posiedon system a while back. Impressive, but wouldn't bother with, even in the event of unlimited funds. Similarly the big Wilsons I am not fussed about.

Cost no object and assuming the room to house them. Soundlab Majestic with custom Soundlab planar subwoofers. Never heard them but really like the idea of 'single' transducer.

Bring on the CLX. We had intended to do a Monolith rebuild in the next couple of years but will wait and see how this mooted speaker pans out.

Kevin

From the end of the article on Mike Lavigne's room above:
It doesn't matter what you play... this room/system will portray it in its full glory. You want size, scale, dynamics... it will deliver. Without a trace of strain or fatigue. Each musical element is fully rendered and complete. You hear musical elements on very familiar discs that you have never before heard... and they are fully realized.

I have not found ANY full orchestral recording that this room/system doesn't absolutely NAIL.

A conductor friend (who is also an audiophile) brought over a few of his own recordings to listen to... now here is someone with a correct reference. After an hour or so and three or four of his recordings, he turned to me and said, “Yes, that is the way it was."
Wow. How is that for a complement about a listening room.

HI,
I just can't choose one. My system components are synergistically chosen over a period of years. They work together to give a sound I love.

If I were forced at gunpoint though, I would choose my CLSIIA's. I think they are incredible (with my subs). See, I keep throwing in caveats. It's impossible to choose.

Sparky

I'm thinking either a pair of Avant Garde Trios (they are so beautiful) or maybe a pair of MBL 101e's like James. Of Course, I would have to audition them first. ;)

I'm thinking either a pair of Avant Garde Trios (they are so beautiful) or maybe a pair of MBL 101e's like James. Of Course, I would have to audition them first. ;)

Rich,

We must have VERY comparable taste, I too really like the Avant Garde stuff! I just happen to like the MBL's a bit more, but maybe if I saw each in person and listened to them I might change my mind...;)

Rich,

We must have VERY comparable taste, I too really like the Avant Garde stuff! I just happen to like the MBL's a bit more, but maybe if I saw each in person and listened to them I might change my mind...;)

OK, James. You get the MBL's and I'll get the Avant Garde's. If we get tired of them in a few years, we can trade. :D

OK, James. You get the MBL's and I'll get the Avant Garde's. If we get tired of them in a few years, we can trade. :D

COOL! I like that idea! SWEET! I'll start saving now...in about 20 years I should be good to go! LOL!

If you a leave a custom designed room out of he picture; How about a Transrotor Gravita turntable ?

I guess you could hang a Schroeder Reference Arm on it.

Let's top it off with a Miyabi 47 cartridge.

OK, Let's add a SME V and ZXY Universe too.

Would we be able to add step-up's and phono stages as part of this exercise?

http://www.thefunkyway.com/gearmus/djgear/decks/Transrotor Gravita turntable.html

Last edited:
If I could have 1 thing, the room would be it, period.
Me too.
It's the room that you listen to mostly.
The effect of sources, amps and speakers are all overshadowed by room acoustics

Can I Change My Vote...?

:D :p I think, if money is no object can I just have either of these systems.... Please..., Pretty Please ~ with a cherry on top... :p

Attachments

• MBLSystem.jpg
    MBLSystem.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Sonus Faber Stradivari System.jpg
    Sonus Faber Stradivari System.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 121
Back