NHT Xd- Worlds Most Accurate Speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has heard the NHT Xd "digital crossover" speakers? The initial review last year in Stereophile was quite good, and now (according to the sonicflare.com blog) other high end reviewers are likewise gushing about them. Australian Hi-Fi calls them "the worlds most accurate speaker", and says their clarity rivals electrostatic designs. Their unique design incorporate a customized version of the DEQX crossover and room correction system, which compensates for wall/furniture reflections, to maintain pinpoint imaging and a smooth frequency response. Here is a link for that review...

http://www.deqx.com/Australian-HiFi-NHT-Xd-Review.html

Although I've been an ML fan for many years, this design has really piqued my interest!

great looking speaker, but at 13k, I'd opt for 2 pairs of Summits from Costco. :cool:

These are indeed a great design. I got to hear them at the DEQX suite at CES in 2005. For Dynamic speakers they really do produce a great sound.

But the secret sauce here is the DEQX electronic crossover and room EQ process.

As I’ve discovered in my rig, active crossovers are orders of magnitude better than passives, coupled with the ability adjust delay, phase and other parameters modern DSP’s can do, they outperform ‘traditional’ designs in clarity and driver integration

Then throw room equalization into the mix, and the results are invariable impressive.
The DEQX room EQ focuses primarily on FR EQ, but also handles time alignment of speakers.

Most people can gain many of these benefits by just adding a DEQX processor to their rig and doing active X-overs plus the room correction.

Adding a DEQX to an ML rig should be easier than what I’ve done, except for the ML passive crossover bypass. That last step could involve a soldering iron.

Only problem is the DEQX is about $3,500 USD, but the results would sure be worth it.

Or buy a Lyngdorf TDA 2200 + RoomPerfect and achieve great results as well. Better still: combine a pair of CLS with corner woofers and an extra SDA 2175 amp. Heaven!

I'm really fascinated with the emerging concept of room correction... DEQX, TacT, Lyngdorf, and even upcoming PC-based solutions. However, the technology, nomenclature, and product-descriptions are all VERY confusing. This is clearly a still-maturing technology, but I truly believe future two-channel and HT rigs will routinely incorporate such correction. I wonder if there are major differences between the above products with regard to how they work with ML and other bipolar designs, as opposed to dynamic speakers. I also wish there were more intuitive and cost-effective products available TODAY. Hopefully, some high-end print (or online) mag will feature an introductory article and product comparisons within this niche.

I really look forward to the day this technology can make my RPTV, A/V furniture, and room anomalies "disappear" at the click of a button!

Last edited:
sleepysurf said:
Just wondering if anybody has heard the NHT Xd "digital crossover" speakers? The initial review last year in Stereophile was quite good, and now (according to the sonicflare.com blog) other high end reviewers are likewise gushing about them. Australian Hi-Fi calls them "the worlds most accurate speaker", and says their clarity rivals electrostatic designs. Their unique design incorporate a customized version of the DEQX crossover and room correction system, which compensates for wall/furniture reflections, to maintain pinpoint imaging and a smooth frequency response. Here is a link for that review...

http://www.deqx.com/Australian-HiFi-NHT-Xd-Review.html

Although I've been an ML fan for many years, this design has really piqued my interest!

Whoop, whoop, whoop, pull up pull up pull up. Australian Hifi aka Greg Borrowman is pure advertorial. It is a style of reviewing that gives reviewers a bad name.

The DEQX unit is the key here. I have been promising myself one for the last couple of years but issues like school fees, replacing cars, paying the mortgage etc keep getting in the way. And after Jonfo's efforts we should probaby be looking at rebuilding the Monoliths in the next few years. Hmmm, maybe do it all at the same time.

Kevin

Back