Newbie on a quest

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumen222

Reaction score
Hi,
I am honored to join the club. I have been impressed by its posts.

Until last month, I did not know about Martin Logan speakers (should I write such a thing here?). But looking around for speakers, I listened to about 10 different brands and models: B.W. J.M. Lab, Dali, Canton, Paradigm, Aerial… Then, right after listening to the Aerials, I happened on a pair of used ML Clarity (2700$ CDN). At first, I was not sure about their looks for a shared living room. But the sound!!! Amazing! And the looks followed as my wife OKed them. So now, I am looking forward to the day that they will cross over the treshold of our home.

My problem is that at Christmas time I had bought a Cambridge 540R (6x80W) at 550$ CDN (MSRP 1000$). I fear that they will be too short for the ML although I will mainly use them for audio, sometimes with an ML Abyss to complement the bass. What do you think?

I might rather get a used Denon AVR3802 (7x110W) for 750$. Or Denon AVR 3805 (7x120W) for 900$. Would it be worth it over the Cambridge 540R? There might also be an Arcam AVR300 (7x100W for 1250$). Any advice? Would the Cambridge be OK or is it a dead end? I feel sort of stupid with my questions (and budget at this point). Obviously, the Cambridge is not top of the line amongst the above, although it is new and I like its musicality. And it is the one that was used (or the Cambridge 640R) when I listened to the ML.

I also want to buy rear speakers for HT with the Abyss and the Clarity (no Center, I will use the Phantom mode). The store offered me BW 686 or 685 (500$ and 650$). How would they fare with the Mls? Are the 685 well worth it over the 686?

And there will be cables.

Thanks for your help. Any will be appreciated.

Jean

Back