Newbie - Just bought my first pair of ML....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyG

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased a pair of ML Sequel 2...used...I have limited funds and had to opt for the used gear. I have been slobering over the ML line for years now...now I have my first pair!!!

I have some questions that need answering though.

Gear: I understand that the need for amplification is quite high to get real performance. Are they really the power hungry animals that people make them out to be? In your opinion what is the best bangfor the buck amplification wise?

Replacement ESL panel: Is it really the mother of all upgardes that some people make it out to be?

To tube or not to tube....How much power do you need form a tube amp to make them sing??

Ciao for now

Kenny G

Kenny,
Welcome.

I have a pair of Sequel II's also which I bought years a few years ago.

As far as amps yes and no. Here is the deal, first of all I am sure you have discovered you can get some decent sound out of the Sequels II's with what you have now. Which is??? The Sequels II's do like power not an incredible amount but good clean power and now having said that it is not only "watts" but current. Usually if you stick to known brands for starting out and be assured you will be ok, then you can experiment and try others :D

Replacement panels are only needed if the sound is degraded. If they sound dull or on even on the panel itself then maybe replacement is the option. There are things you can try before replacing the panels like vacuuming and actually washing them in the shower! There are many threads about that here.

There are options with tube amps. If these are Sequel II's then they can be bi-amped which and some argument is either way, can be heard here. You could use SS amp on the woofers and tubes on the panels. Of course there are many options and lots of money to be spent.

Finally and probably most import thing to remember never be ashamed or apologize for buying used audio stuff. This is hobby and we all have different paths to take. There is no shame in buying used. I have done it and will continue to do it as well as others here. The one thing you find about crazy audio people like us, we generally take care of our equipment. So not to worry!!

Again welcome and have fun!

Jeff:cool:

What do I have....hmmmmm

Lets see.....

Rega planer3 rb300 dynavector 10x
Rotel 960rbx phono stage
Pioneer elite cd60 - used as transport only
Parasound da convertor
Linn Intek - 50w (intergrated) used as preamp
Audio research 60w SS 80's vintage

There you go.....

:rocker: (my oldest boy wants this posted - he is six)

<snicker>

Kenny,
Tell your son, "rock on dude" :D.

I am at work and have a few minutes today this is why I am so verbose. Normal just a few comments and gone.

My question to you is how does it sound? If you like it, stop and if you want to look at improving what you like and hear then that opens up a whole bunch of options. Depending on your budget, I may look at a tube amp which you would use on the panels only and use your AR on the woofers for now then get a more powerful amp for the woofers.

These are my opinions and I am sure you will get buried with options soon.

Agian this also depends on what you listen to and how loud.:eek:

:musicnote:

Jeff:cool:

Hi Kenny,

Welcome. I've moved this post into the Main Discussion forum.. Not sure why you posted in the DIY forum.:eek:

Congrats on the Sequel 2s! Great speakers! The older ML models are definitely much more power hungry and difficult to drive than the newer ones, so getting a high quality amp that can handle a difficult load will be important. Jeff hit the nail on the head about "high current". I'm not into tubes, but it's been said that with the right tubes driving just the panels, MLs can really sing.

Changing the panels is VERY VERY easy. If you need to do that, don't worry about it - we'll be able to walk you thru it, as many of us have done it before. Take Jeff's advice about vacuuming the panels thoroughly first. If both panels sound the same, you should be good. The washing method described elsewhere on the site (use the SEARCH) is kind of a last ditch effort and has been successful with other members - read the posts about this very carefully before doing it. Of course buying new panels is not a bad thing and you'd be getting SL3 panels from the factory.

I also agree with Jeff about buying used stuff.
It's a good thing!

Again, welcome aboard!

Tom.

Last edited:
Well Tom,

I placed it in the diy forum beacause I am a ...... bonehead!!

LOL

Last edited:
Lets see.....

Rotel 960rbx phono stage
Parasound da convertor

There you go.....

<snicker>

Welcome to the ML Club. This is the BEST forum online. NO Doubt!!!

I believe that you should live with them for a while. Get to know them and really understand what they do well and what they lack (like a woman). You can alter the sonics very easy (like a woman). Then interestign thing that I have found with MLs is that they sound great wether they are being played through a $1000 reciever or through a $40k system. The key is to not A/B/A with better equipment....you will want to get it. What you have is a great setup, so just give it some time and enjoy it.

Welcome, Kenny! Buying used makes geat sense in this economy. High end gear typically is well designed these days, and lasts for years. I have no qualms about used gear and have saved alot of $$$ this way. Go for it!

Get to know the sound first

Kenny,

I agree with all that has been said here. I would strongly advise you to become VERY familar with the system sound before you start down the upgrade path. The good news and the bad news about ML's is that they are so wonderfully revealing. To find out what they do, you will need to get accustomed to their sonic signature / presentation within the context of speaker location driven by your electronics.

This will take time to do but hopefully you'll enjoy the process. You need to adjust the speaker position (forward / back / separation / toe in) to find the place where you hear a seemless, integrated, tonally balanced soundstage in all three dimensions (height / width / depth). Once you get close, you'll be able to make position changes in the 1/4" range and hear what that change did. Also, make sure that the vertical tilt is exactly the same for both speakers. Once you've found the "spot", you will have established a "baseline" (sorry, I'm an engineer) that should allow you to clearly hear any subsequent hardware changes you may make to the system.

For example, I spent eight months making sure my Summits were in the optimum place before I spiked them directly into my wood floor. Despite Joey and others enthusiam for extreme toe - in (I'm listening to the inside one third of the panel as determined by the flashlight technique), I've left my Summits in the same place. My new amp certainly validated this position. Bottom line is that it's all personal preference and the ML's certainly give you a myriad of options dependant on speaker placement, electronics, the listening room, and most importantly, what sounds good to you.

The point is, look at it as a sonic journey and have fun taking the trip. Your efforts will pay off. Good luck and happy listening.

GG

Last edited:
I am looking to upgrade and will surly go used as I am not a doctor, lawyer, etc.
Audiogon has great deals and is a great source for simply searching and learning. I recommend spending time there and when you find a component you like, visit the manufacturers acutual website. If you still really like the item, search within this forum and look for comments!

Eventually, you will begin to narrow down what works for you.

BTW, what kind of budget are you looking at for amps?

Dominick

I will have to do a x4 on everyone's opinions here. It's probably best to get to know your speakers for a few months and then work from there. Work on positioning (both from the wall and toe in) and work on your sweetspot being synergistic with one another.

And if no one has given the obligatory welcome smiley.... :welcome:!

Joey

The nice thing about Martin Logan speakers and equipment is that the folks that have them are in the high-end of the market, and they tend to be meticulous in the care of their systems. Combine that with most high-end equipment (and ML speakers especially) being designed and manufactured to last significantly longer, the used marketplace becomes excellent for us.

Hi Kenny G welcome
any one here tried those amp from China, Tube or SS, they look good on paper and picture, but reality unknown.
good deal though

Lets see.....

Rotel 960rbx phono stage
Parasound da convertor

There you go.....

<snicker>

I used an ARC Classic 60 (60 wpc) on Summits and found that the amp did not have enough power to do the job properly. An ARC VT 100 III was much more to my (and the Sequel's) liking. I love the sound of tubes on 'Logans.

Back