Newbee

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benleeys

Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined! Just call me Ben.

Learned from my local (Singapore) dealer today of the existence of this Club and thought I'd take a quick look. And got hooked.

I was a Sequel II user for the last 16 years. Fell in love with the electrostatic sound the first time I heard the Quad ELS, but because of its various technical problems, like arcing, I did not acquire a pair, though I was using its pre and power amps for some years.

A couple of months ago, I got rid (read gave away) my Sequel IIs and acquired the Summits. The Sequels were (still are) beautiful sounding speakers and gave no problem during all those years, but the paint on the woodwork was something else. It got so bad (first turning gooey, then white powdery all over) I either had to dismantle the parts and do a proper repaint job or give up on it like I eventually did.

So I got the Summits and boy, what a difference! I was hearing things I never heard before. The very low end came alive, and gave more body to the mid-range. But then we are talking about in excess of 3 times the price.

I am driving the pair with the old Classe DR6 preamp and Classe 25 poweramp.
Great match with no problem with the extremely low impedence encountered which some amps find difficulty in handling.

I use the Summits for audio as well as video. Also got the Stage for centre and a pair of Passage for the surround. Had meant to acquire the Descent for the LFE, but learned the "i" is on the way, so have decided to wait for it. Just got the specs which look substantially different from its predecessor. Hope it sounds that much better, excellent as the old one was. Fortunate enough to have a dedicated 23'x15'x9' room to house my toys which includes a Sony projector and Stewart Studiotek 130 screen.

Before you fall asleep, I'd better save some for the future!

Glad to be around you guys.
Ben

Ben,

Welcome to the club, what Sony projector are you using? I have the Sony HS-51A.

Post your system in our member systems, would love to take a look at it.

Hello Ben!

Glad you found our little club! Welcome welcome!

And here is the *secret handshake* for those in the Summits Club.

You got that? Good. No one else but those with Summits saw the handshake attachment.

Hahahaha...

JOey

TomDac said:
Hi Ben and welcome aboard! Great story.. Thanks for sharing and glad you found us!

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your warm welcome. Will try to contribute my 2 cents worth for years to come!

Ben

Zip3kx07 said:
Ben,

Welcome to the club, what Sony projector are you using? I have the Sony HS-51A.

Post your system in our member systems, would love to take a look at it.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your welcome. Got my Sony VPH-D50HTM a year ago. It has a built-in doubler and accepts progressive signals via its component inputs. Figure CTR projectors produces pictures with better blacks than current digital projectors in general within this price category. Having said that, am actually eyeing 3-chip DLP projectors - when prices are less astronomical.

Will try to post my system here when I can get hold of a decent camera. Can you imagine anybody without one these days? :)) Anyway, the whole lot is nothing to crow about - apart from the pieces mentioned earlier, there's a Pioneer DV-59AVi, Rotel RSP-985, MSB Link DAC III (upsampled), 3 x Marantz MA500, RGPC 400 and 600, NBS cables. There are also a few other pieces not worth mentioning that are inactive at the moment. Please be patient.

Ben

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
Hello Ben!

Glad you found our little club! Welcome welcome!

And here is the *secret handshake* for those in the Summits Club.

You got that? Good. No one else but those with Summits saw the handshake attachment.

Hahahaha...

JOey

Got it Joey, hahahaha. Really appreciate the welcome. Personally, think the Summits are real ugly, compared with those Italian box designs. But who the hell cares. It's the sound, the sound ..........

Ben

Mine are not the kilobucks NBS, just the Junior IIs, bought some years back. Have since then grown comfortable with them, so there's no incentive to upgrade, for now.
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the club. I think you'll really enjoy the Summits. I've found the bass adjustments really have an effect the overall sound. Too much and they over power the mids and highs. Less can be more in this case but a lot of is dependent on your particular room acoustics. I plan to add bass traps sometime in the near future to take better advantage of the Summits incredible bass capabilities.

That Classe gear will work just fine. I came close to acquiring a DR-6 but snoozed and lost the deal. What are you using as a source component?

I think they are one of the best looking speakers out there and of course have a look all thier own. I didn't care for the look at first but it grew on me. However, the beauty of those Italian boxes are among the best in build quality and appearance, not to mention in sound as well. I'm especially fond of the upper Sonus Faber line.

You're right, Craig, the Sonus Faber line is fabulous in design and finishing.

Bass traps - ever heard of "Room-Correction Tools State Technology Room Collimating pillars"? They're supposed to be able to do wonders to your room, though I've never seen them.

Actually am thinking of retiring my Classe. Have had them for about 12 years and they have been wonderful. They're on 12/7 all these years! Wonder whether anyone out there has ever used the ASR Emitter to drive the Summit. I know it costs an arm in the US, but here in Singapore I can get it for about US$17k.

For source, at the moment am using the Pioneer 59-AVi into an MSB Link DAC III (upsampled).

I couldn't help laughing, Lugano. Any particular reason why you consider it voodoo?
Ben

Ben,

The Summit may not have the look of the italian Fabers... but they have a svelte look all their own. The Summits are beautiful to me.. and many others. You just need time to adjust to their rather dashing looks and physique!

Joey :D

benleeys said:
I couldn't help laughing, Lugano. Any particular reason why you consider it voodoo?
Ben

This freaked out guy builds with his own hands the emitters, which do not have a real power supply - they have a lead battery (like the one your car has). It's just that we could all run our gear off car batteries, without having to pay $ 5000 for the power supply. This is where the voodooo starts....

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
Ben,

The Summit may not have the look of the italian Fabers..

Sonus Faber look great. Lots of italian gear look great. As do lamborghinis and ferraris. (take a look at http://www.pathosacoustics.com/) But every monday and thursday you're at your local car repair with them. Believe me, I'm a 40 minutes drive from Milano, I know what I'm talking about...what is your listening organ ? If it's your ears, think twice, if not, well, the sky is the limit ;)

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
Ben,

The Summit may not have the look of the italian Fabers... but they have a svelte look all their own. The Summits are beautiful to me.. and many others. You just need time to adjust to their rather dashing looks and physique!

Joey :D

Yea Joey, everybody tells me they'll grow on me, so am quite sure they will in time. Otherwise I'll have my eyes examined. Right now though, to me :) the sound is the next best thing to orgasm!

ASR voodoo

Hahaha.... at least its car-type batteries are very nicely packaged. Seriously, I was reading comments by Harry Pearson (The TAS guy) the other day and he was all praise.
Ben

I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend $17,000 to have lead-acid batteries sitting in my living room.

ASR ? lol

Ben, really, do yourself a favor and unload the ASR from your dreams truck - forget about it. European eBays are full of it, some guys really had it 20 inches up there with the Schäfers...watch the eBay auction number 290046772597 and draw your conclusions.

Back