New vs. Used

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68sting

Reaction score
Just curious what the ratio of members who buy used vs. new is. I bought all mine used.

Preamp, Amp - used
ML Vantage, powerconditioner, soundcard - new

shop wisely and know where your source components came from and how they were used , I prefer used as I like the person who buys them first to get the depreciation ,

New or Used...

68sting,

My ML speakers in my system were floor models from Magnolia Hi-Fi, in Oregon, they were 5% off, which was all I could negotiate down on these "Used" ML speakers. The exception in my speaker system is my Script i's, which I purchased new last year. All of my system's electronics / and Plasma HDTV / Cables were purchased new.
So my system is aprox. 60% new and 40% used I'd say... :)

IMHO it really depends on the deal you negotiate, the circumstances etc. I agree with C.A.P., you have to know how it's been played / used and by who if you are buying used... ;)

Last edited:
The only used equipment I have in active service is my cd player and SL3s. Everything else was purchased new. Only my main amp was purchased at a "new" price. Everything else new was purchased at 40-50% discount (mainly model line close-outs). I'm always looking for the best bang for the buck whether it's new or used.

About 1/3 new, 1/3 used and 1/3 Demonstrator or discontinued. I try to avoid buying new if I can as I don't think it makes economic sense to cop the full depreciation hit, however it is sometimes unavoidable!

68sting said:
Just curious what the ratio of members who buy used vs. new is. I bought all mine used.

Everthing used or DIY except the turntable, catridges, and tubes.

About 50/50, or 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 rule because some items were Demo items.

I might get flamed for this but I am a very big proponent of "factory refurbished" stuff. A couple of reasons why.
1) Price - Components can normally be purchased at the same price or close to the same price as the used market is fetching.
2) Better than used - You're buying an item that has been gone through at the factory with a fine tooth comb. Anything that is not right is replaced. I don't know of any individuals that would/could do this for a potential buyer.
3) Warrantees - Add numbers 1 and 2 together and you get some back up too! Not everything comes with a warrantee but those that do, IMHO are much better than something you would get on audiogon or ebay.

This is just my humble opinion... :rolleyes:

My Amp, Power Director/Conditioner, & SACD player are all factory refurbished. All of my interconnects and my speaker cables were bought used. The only things new were the pre-amp, speakers, and suspension stand. The Pre was purchased new for less than I had been watching them go for used on audiogon and ebay. The speakers were being closed out so you know the story there and if you look at my system, there is a great story on how I found my suspension stand there. :D

Mark -
IMHO, here's the problem with factory refurbs: (are they the same as "B" stock?) There's a Sony factory outlet near me that was selling a "B" stock DVD - SACD player for MORE money than a local discounter selling a brand new, boxed, identical unit. Moral: shop around and be wary. You may have gotten a great price, but others may not.

My Aerius i's are ML B stocks. I bought them from my brother, cosmetically there rough but still sound sweet.

The crown jewel of my audio system is used. A pair of walnut trim SL3's. Everything else was bought new but it is at the low end of the spectrum. Actually my used SL3's cost the same amount as the rest of my audio gear put together! Heh!

I'm about 50/50. My Odysseys were new. My Logos and Sequel II's were dealer demo units.When it comes to audio equipment I'm sure most will agree that you save some when the initial buyer takes the hit when they make their purchase and later want to upgrade? ;)

My system is 100% used. For me, I get more bang for the buck. So far I have had great luck with everything. The used Lightstar amp I just got from Audiogon for $1,200.00 sold new for $5,000.00. If I got my system new it would have cost me over 15,000.00 but so far I am only into if for about $6,000.00

My system is a combination of used, demo, and new with one new item sold to me as a demo! Everything is as new and that saved me about $3500. Several of the new items were from dealers no longer sell MLs which significantly reduced my costs!

Cherian said:
My system is 100% used. For me, I get more bang for the buck. So far I have had great luck with everything. The used Lightstar amp I just got from Audiogon for $1,200.00 sold new for $5,000.00. If I got my system new it would have cost me over 15,000.00 but so far I am only into if for about $6,000.00
You mean the Lightstar amp that you're holding for me?!

:D

heh heh.

I too have no problem buying used gear.

Tom,

The Lightstar amp is just awsome!! One of the best parts of my system. Blows away every other carver amp I own. Its so cool to have limitless power. I have pics of the Lightstar posted in my pervious post regarding the Lightstar. Let me just say I am not freaking out anymore.

My ML's were all bought new. My Apogees in the big rig were bought used. The amps in both systems were "demos" and heavily discounted. I have no qualms buying used high end gear as it is typically going to break sooner rather than later if it is well cared for.

Allmost all my stuff is used, here's why:

SL3's: $4k new, my cost $1300
Meridian 565: $5k new, my cost $900
Bel Canto 200.2: $2.5k new, my cost $950
Adcom surround amp: $500 new, my Cost $100
Definitive 1.2 surrounds: $600 new (I think), my cost $200
Cambridge 540 Azur: bought new for $350
DIY silver cables: comparable cables new: $600-900, my cost $50

So by careful shopping I got a $14.5k system for about $3.5k, and you really can't tell any of them from new.

Latest posts

Back