New Vantges, initial impressions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1957

Reaction score
New Vantages, initial impressions

Hello all,

I received my new Vantages (dark cherry with black anodized frames) yesterday and am very pleased with my choice. Here are some initial impressions:

• Beautiful, better looking than the Aeon i speakers they replaced (very subjective, I realize);
  • During the first couple of hours the sound was very thin and a little harsh;
  • After about 10 hours of playing, the sound has started to flesh out;
  • Vantages seem to do the room acoustics, airiness thing better than the Aeon's, which were warmer in my set-up, although it may be too soon to determine definitively;
  • I can clearly hear differences in speaker cables - replaced my AQ CV-4 full range with AQ Mont Blanc Bi-wire, and heard dramatic improvements in smoothness and detail retrieval;
  • These replaced Magnepan I was using temporarily and when I re-calibrated my system I was able to drop the pre-amp levels about 6db - lots less power required to drive to the same volume level compared to the Maggies.;
  • They sound much better in my system than they did at the store (Magnolia) - more evidence that a home audition is a good idea, if you can arrange it.
I listened to the Vistas and preferred the Vantages - mid-range in particular seemed effortless compared to Vista. I did not listen to the Summits because I did not want to subject my wallet to such a temptation. ;)

Bob R.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I received my new Vantages (dark cherry with black anodized frames) yesterday and am very pleased with my choice. Here are some initial impressions:

• Beautiful, better looking than the Aeon i speakers they replaced (very subjective, I realize);
  • During the first couple of hours the sound was very thin and a little harsh;
  • After about 10 hours of playing, the sound has started to flesh out;
  • Vantages seem to do the room acoustics, airiness thing better than the Aeon's, which were warmer in my set-up, although it may be too soon to determine definitively;
  • I can clearly hear differences in speaker cables - replaced my AQ CV-4 full range with AQ Mont Blanc Bi-wire, and heard dramatic improvements in smoothness and detail retrieval;
  • These replaced Magnepan I was using temporarily and when I re-calibrated my system I was able to drop the pre-amp levels about 6db - lots less power required to drive to the same volume level compared to the Maggies.;
  • They sound much better in my system than they did at the store (Magnolia) - more evidence that a home audition is a good idea, if you can arrange it.
I listened to the Vistas and preferred the Vantages - mid-range in particular seemed effortless compared to Vista. I did not listen to the Summits because I did not want to subject my wallet to such a temptation. ;)

Bob R.

Hola Bob. I am another highly impressed by the Vantages sound. They are very easy to set up. The amplifier for them is another good thing. You can use low power amps due to their high sensitivity. I love the size of the instruments and also the sound stage. They do have better highs than my CLSIIz. My ears are very sensitive to this and I can say that they also have much more dinamics. I do like them a lot. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Congratulations. The Vantages are one of the very best speakers you can buy for your money. Now you'll have fun upgarding the rest of your system to match the Vantages... :music:

Thanks. If only I could spell Vantge, Vangate, Ventage, Vantage.:duh:

Bob R.

Bob...

Nice to see you on the forum! I'm glad you are enjoying your Vantages and I agree with what you say... they are killer speakers.

If you need more help with setup, equipment, other various tweaks.... we're all here for ya!

Joey

I'm with you there. I have never laid ears upon the Summits on purpose. I don't need to know what I'm missing. My reQuests may be older but they can still hold their own!

Congrats on the new speakers. They will provide you with many years of enjoyment!!!

Yeah... guess what mistake I made during my auditions.....

Yeah... but when you've got med school debt what's another 6 grand anyway. :p

Besides, you're gonna be rich and famous. I heard you already have a deadly serious, wallet-draining, marriage-threatening disease named after you. ;)

Yeah... but when you've got med school debt what's another 6 grand anyway. :p

Besides, you're gonna be rich and famous. I heard you already have a deadly serious, wallet-draining, marriage-threatening disease named after you. ;)

Yes he does but he has a way to catch up to me I have 20+ years living with this illness and I am only on my second wife ;)

Back