New to the site , with Martin Logans for the first time

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
thanks for having me!, I have been into high end audio for 20 yrs, and have had several ribbon speakers(Carver, Magnepan) I curantly am running MagnepanIIIa,s and wanted something better, here is were I landed.

I plan on running a pair of Quest,s with a Krell fpb300, and a Theta Miles run in balanced mode to the amp for pure simplicity and clarity.

what do you all think about that set up ? I also have a Sunfire amp that I can use if needed! ( its powering the Maggies) any input would be appreciated thanks
Chris :cool:

C.A.P said:
thanks for having me!, I have been into high end audio for 20 yrs, and have had several ribbon speakers(Carver, Magnepan) I curantly am running MagnepanIIIa,s and wanted something better, here is were I landed.

I plan on running a pair of Quest,s with a Krell fpb300, and a Theta Miles run in balanced mode to the amp for pure simplicity and clarity.

what do you all think about that set up ? I also have a Sunfire amp that I can use if needed! ( its powering the Maggies) any input would be appreciated thanks
Hola Criss, welcome to the club. I truly recommend to you to trust your ears and listen your new sound. Your Quest will give you an outstanding image and super great scenario. They had one of the best mid-range on any speaker and even today. Just place them at least three feet away from the back wall and toe-in a little bit and "voila"...magic in the music. :D
Your Maggies are great speakers also...so you have wonderful toys to play with...again, welcome to the club and I wish you a very happy listening...
Regards from Costa Riica,
Roberto.

C.A.P said:

Welcome Chris!

I auditioned the Krell and did not like what I heard. I absolutely love the look but it sounded slightly tinny if that makes sense. In fact, I always dreamed of nothing but Krell so it was tough on me the fact that it wasn't going to work for me. It was my ears that made me decide in the long run. I ran the Krell through my Mac so I am not sure how my experience would compare. Let your ears decide for you. You will enjoy this forum. Lots of really good people post here.

Mark
:cool:

Welcome to our humble and friendly club!

:D

You can call this home now.

C.A.P,
Welcome to the club.

I think you will like this group because we are opinionated but not combative. You will get a lot of opinions and advice along the way. You will learn soon enough that Roberto has coined the phrase that we all steal, "trust your ears". :D

I believe you will hear the difference between the Maggies and your Quests. Give them some time and you will see. The dangerous part of this hobby as you well know, with already 20 years invested, is that it is always changing and evolving.

So tomorrow you are no longer new and you need to just jump in the middle and paddle around like the rest of us. :eek:

Again welcome, "trust your ears, and above all enjoy you Quests and the music they will bring your life.

Jeff :cool:

I will give some feedback as soon as I get some serious chair time with these babies, thanks for the input

seems that one stater panel is about 10 db louder than the other, at first I thought that It might be a room gain , but after switching every thing around and switching speakers and it fallowed the speaker to the oppisite side! also seems that the louder driver may also have some buzzing or mudeling on bass notes. any help would be appreciated

C.A.P said:
seems that one stater panel is about 10 db louder than the other, at first I thought that It might be a room gain , but after switching every thing around and switching speakers and it fallowed the speaker to the oppisite side! also seems that the louder driver may also have some buzzing or mudeling on bass notes. any help would be appreciated

Hola Criss, welcome to the club, and sorry that you have a problem with your Quest. You might have a panel problem...write to Mr. Jim Power...he is the Service Manager of Martin Logan, and a gentleman ([email protected]). Also include in your e-mail, the serial number. At the tweak section of this forum, you will find some tricks of how to revive a dead speaker...unplugg it from the main A.C. and vacuum the panel at the front of the speaker and then the rear...also see if there are like a white dots in the diaphragm, if you do, with the aid of a brush, clean it and then vacuum it again, until the dot is gone. If this does not work, then you have to do the warm water wash procedure...see tweaks section. Hope this can help! Happy listening.
Roberto.

Welcome to the site, C.A.P. !!!

I have a pair of Maggies sitting in my spare room right now. No question in my mind that the MLs are far superior to the Maggies (though both are better than any cone speakers).

N.B. -- I thought about using my Maggies as surrounds, but they just couldn't deliver enough "punch" back there to be convincing (this is my opinion, of course, with all obligatory caveats).

Again, welcome !!!

Neshamah (Steve)

Back