New to ML: Fresco or Vignette?????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjb101

Reaction score
I am doing a remodel and finally want to upgrage my 5.1 speakers to go with my new 58" Plasma and I have been considering the ML speakers primarily because they look nice and I need nice wall mountable speakers to please my wife's design. But now I am trying to make sure I make the right call on which one has the best sound quality in a 16ft room space. Also should I use the same line for all 5 speakers (incl center channel) or should I get a different center channel speaker? Any help in choosing between the two brands and whether to have all speakers from the same line would be helpful.

Thanks
J

My advice: Buy ML for the sound. Looks are secondary. If you've decided to use these for ht only, 5 Frescos would be fine. You're better off not mixing brands. If your intent is to use these for stereo music listening also, I might consider a pair of ML electrostatics for your front 2 channels. In this case you could use a Cinema i or Stage for a center channel, and a pair of Frescos for rear surrounds.

drjb101,
I own a Fresco for a center channel, and I love it. I have heard the Vignettes, and they are ok. Not quite as nice as the Frescos, but a lot smaller. If you absolutely have to have wall mounted, go withthe Fresco. I think you'll find it quite impressive indeed. Though I have also heard the ML inwalls, and I was floored by how good they sounded. They are very similar in sound to my floor standing Mosaics. I believe it was the largest one, the Voyage I think.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/voyage.html

Out of curiosity, what kind of components do you have to run these with?

-capT

The fresco-i is a very nice speaker. It doesn't dig very deep though, and if you happen to like it very loud, you will want to x-over even higher. So, pick a good sub!

You should definitely go with the five Frescos. Add a Grotto subwoofer and you will have a great sounding surround sound system. What will you be powering the system with?

Why not get three Frescos for the fronts and two vignettes for the rears. The rears are not THAT important. Then with the money saved, i would get a nice sub. IMHO, the Grotto is a bit weak for HT purposes...i found this out for my system and room (16x11). Thus, i upgraded my sub to Depth "i" and have been extremely happy.

If you have more financial freedom, then you can do what i did. Just click on my signature to see my system. Even though my system does not have a separate amplifier for my Vantages & Stage, my Denon does an excellent job for HT purposes. The 2-ch stereo part sounds good too!:) I have not found the need (yet) to get a separate amp because the Denon does not seem like it's stressing too much.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Thai. If the OP is like me and does not have any multi-channel music recordings or player, the rears aren't that important. One of my surrounds cost only a very, very small fraction of one of my mains or sub. Works perfectly for HT imo, and I got to pour the budget into 2-channel music and a great sub as a result.

One of the things to consider is that if you do in fact get ESLs for your L/R fronts that if your receiver is decent you can get away with a phantom center for a while.

Yes, now I know that some people here will disagree strongly with me but I've been using a pair of SL3s with a phantom center and I think it sounds better than my buddy's complete Infinity 5.1 setup.

If you go with Frescoes or Vignettes, then I'd suggest a center.

Just something to consider :)

Back