New to me Theater i has issues... help!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russr

Reaction score
Hi

I recently got a Theater i. It is in great physical condition, but...
The power supply it came with (not original) was dead. No sound coming from ESL panel(s), and the tweeters were pretty much dead, too (which surprised me.. I would've thought that they would still be driven via the crossover).

I ordered a new power cord/supply from ML (MAN, they shipped quickly!). Plugged it in, and when running speaker calibration from my Anthem (white noise generator), the panels emitted SOME sound... but very "Bass'y"... more like pink noise. My SL-3s I use for mains are ridiculously bright by comparison.

I'm thinking the panels might have died (3rd party power supply), and the previous owner might have cranked them up to compensate, which might have taken out the tweeter array.

When I first got a pair of MLs (in 2000, a pair of 2nd hand Aerius's), I had to get replacememnt panels. Jim in tech support was a god, great advice, replacement parts, just great.

I'm terrified to reach out to ML now... apparently after new corporate owner, they charge 3 arms and a bunch of legs these days.

Anyone performed DIY repairs on a Theater i?

Russ

I also have a feeling they don't make replacement panels for center channel speakers. I have a theater i too, but mine luckily still sounds ok. Original power supply.

Contact them via email and see what they say. They are making me a set of Prodigy panels now. Cost on the pair is $2800.

I just bought a Theater I that is missing the Power supply. Any one have some info regarding the PSU and size of the Power connector (then maybe I could source an aftermarket one).

The ML ones cost $35 plus shipping. While a plug-is-a-plug, and a voltage/current spec is just that, I owuld just buy the authentic ones. Most power supply/wallwart manufacturers take whatever shortcuts are available, and if you have issues, you have to put the power supply on a scope and start troubleshooting from there...

Sounds resonable.
However I live in Denmark, and I am not sure where to get it.
I will have to investigate...

I have not been able to get a price or delivery date from the Danish ML importer.
can anyone guide me to an aftermarket powersupply that I can get until I can get ahold of an original one?

The ML ones cost $35 plus shipping. While a plug-is-a-plug, and a voltage/current spec is just that, I owuld just buy the authentic ones. Most power supply/wallwart manufacturers take whatever shortcuts are available, and if you have issues, you have to put the power supply on a scope and start troubleshooting from there...
Well the Danish importer wants 275$ for it!!!
Could someone support me with an aftermarket one instead?
I will not spend that much money for a simple and cheap PSU like that.

SUNOFABEACH!
How difficult (paperwork, duties, etc.) is it to send a component like that (power supply) from the US to you?

Do you know anyone in the USA that can buy it and ship it to you, then you wire them the cash? I know there are some crazy forms and such along with extra costs, but jeeez.

I sent something to Canada last year that was a gift and still had to pay $5 on top of the $42 shipping fee and declare that I wasn't an exporter or that it was a business for me, and sign 4 pages of forms.

So many international rules. Living in the US Ive ordered stuff from the UK, China, and Japan and never had to do anything special. I guess other countries are more strict? I know importing drugs here is tough but never heard of trouble with electronics goods.

it says right on the back of your speaker.. 15 to 18 v and .08 to 1 amp. Just go online and buy an AC adapter. Or do one better and go by and Ifi low noise adapter. Ive used those on my old eslx with great success. They also come with little tips that you can put on them to make sure that you have the exact size you need.
iFi iPower Low Noise DC Power Supply with International Travel Adapters 15V - Upgrade Your Audio / Video / Electronics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXF2QMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_j-gbGb5XHG609?psc=1

I've never had a power supply on a cord go bad. Isn't that basically a transformer on there? None of my devices has ever had one go out. Have many of you had it happen? Hoping i don't have to deal with it.

Not all are created equal. Lookup how the Apple power supplies are made, there's a lot of tech inside those things which make them supply smooth quiet power.

Back