New to me Sequel II’s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kgveteran

Reaction score
Hello All, first post here! I bought a pair of 1991 Sequels, one woofer was shot so i found a used woof on Reverb.

My plan is to aquire a Parasound Hint6, i just aquired a Denon dp59L turntable and a DL-110 cartridge.

Does anyone here own Sequel’s they are MkII’s, i was emailing ML and they said that nothing in the XO needs to be updated.... why all the talk about caps needing replacements, i see both poly caps and electrolitics

Hi Kgveteran, I have Sequel IIb from 1993 running as my rear speakers.

I would recommend replacing both woofers with identical replacement drivers.

If the speaker is performing well, then the XO is probably OK, but at 30 years, it would not be surprising if something goes or is not to spec.

My favorite way to deal with the XO is to just bypass them and run my own speaker processor and fine-tune them to my room. But that's often more than others want to deal with (and requires 2x the amplification).

Hi Kgveteran, I have Sequel IIb from 1993 running as my rear speakers.

I would recommend replacing both woofers with identical replacement drivers.

If the speaker is performing well, then the XO is probably OK, but at 30 years, it would not be surprising if something goes or is not to spec.

My favorite way to deal with the XO is to just bypass them and run my own speaker processor and fine-tune them to my room. But that's often more than others want to deal with (and requires 2x the amplification).

one of the woofers was cooked so i found one online, but of course after i had purchased it, i contacted ML and they recommend a 10” scanspeak driver that was only $130 each. I’ll give a listen to the used one when it arrives next week, if it sounds balanced and good with no rattles, i’ll go with that for awhile. Other than the system only having one functional woofer the panel sounded great.

we just got availability notice for my Parasound Hint6, i set one up for a customer of ours and i just fell in love with that integrated amp. Im super excited to listen to some vinyl i’ve been buying !

one of the woofers was cooked so i found one online, but of course after i had purchased it, i contacted ML and they recommend a 10” scanspeak driver that was only $130 each.

Could I ask you which model they recommended? I'm assuming you purchased it and have tried them out. How are they?

Welcome Kgveteran! Hope you enjoy your speakers. I still remember the first time I heard Sequels-At AJ Conti's (RIP) in New Hampshire, 1987 . He was selling stuff from his house. The electronics were all Counterpoint, the source was his (then prototype) turntable and the cables were the then new MIT MI 330 Shotguns (which I still own). I was a poor moonlighting resident and bought a meter run of the Shotgun, the only thing from that system I could afford! It started for me a lasting obsession with Martin Logans.

Thank you! If I have a problem with my woofers, which I'm thinking I eventually will since they're over 20 years old, I'll pick those up.

if i were a bet’n man, im probably gonna get a set of the woofers and new panels…..

Just repositioned my Sequel II’s after letting them sit in the last place for a few months while i got a good idea of what they sounded like.
Ok, Norah Jones is hovering inbetween them, guitars and bass sound nicely spread out, drums are centered :0)
Cant believe they are 30yrs.old. My buddy said they had 3 owners, him being one, and they had real little use. I dont think they’ll last forever, but i will always own ML! I have been listening to speakers since the mid 70’s…….nothing has been more true to the music

Back