new system setup for both music and HT

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejchen

Reaction score
I recently completed the system with the following major components that were all purchased brand new within the past few weeks ago:

Onkyo PR-SC5509
Wyred4Sound MMC-7
Sony KDL-60EX645
Sony BDP-S590
Martin Logan EM-ESLs + EM-C2 + Dynamo-700w + Motion-4s
(considered the EM-FX2s but size is too big as the surround speakers)

2 questions:

I'm not sure whether this is a generic question or would this be specific for the Onkyo PR-SC5509 configuration
Q1. What would be the recommended crossover frequency settings for the above ML speakers? Do I need different setting for music and movie?
(currently, I'm using 45 for the front speaker and 55 for the center speaker)

All ML speakers have faint hum, the 60 Hz sound?, after powering on the pre-amp and amp even when no other device around, such as tv/DVR/cable box, and no input is connected to the Onkyo PR-SC5509. only the pre-amp+amp+speakers. The hum is persistent at a constant low, but noticeable, level when the family room is quiet.
At first, I thought this might be the "ground loop" issue and I've tried the hospital grade Isolation Transformer and Panamax M4300-PM but none of them can help.

Q2. Is this humming normal? Do all audio consumer electronics emit certain degree/level of 60 Hz hum from the on-board electrical components?

any comments/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Humming is not normal. Disconnect all from speakers and listen. Then add one component at a time.

Listen to each speaker closley and see if you hear a hum at each stage of the process.

Once you find the guilty connections or component you can work from there.

J

Last edited:
For the xovers, run the audyssey setup and let the 5509 decide.

There is a nice sticky on using Audyssey with electrostats in this forum.

J

I suspect that you have not solved your "ground loop" problem. Looking at the back of the Onkyo, I only see a 2-prong power connection, vs the 3-prong connection for the W4S amp. A mix of 2-prong and 3-prong cables in your system may contribute to ground differential between your components. You should try to get some 2-prong cheater plugs to lift the ground pin of the W4S and Logans to see if that helps. Good luck.

Back