New Summits on the Way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOGANLOVE

Reaction score
Well I forked up enough money to get myself a nice new pair of Dark Cherry Black Aluminum Martin Logan Summits. I am very excited!!! I have been told it will take about a month to a month 1/2 to come in. They must have a lot of orders for these bad boys. I will be using them in a 2 channel setup with a Krell Kav-400xi Integrated and a Krell SACD Standard Disc Player. I will be using Audioquest CV-8 and Type 8 speaker cable in a 8 ft. Double Bi-wire setup. I am also using Audioquest Balanced Cheetah interconnects in a 1 meter length. I have also changed the factory power cords on the Krell pieces to Audioquest NG-5. I would love to have your opinions on my setup as well as any more upgrades you think I should make. I will soon be a true member of "The Club"

Show your Logan Love

Wonderful two channel set-up

LOGANLOVE said:
Well I forked up enough money to get myself a nice new pair of Dark Cherry Black Aluminum Martin Logan Summits. I am very excited!!! I have been told it will take about a month to a month 1/2 to come in. They must have a lot of orders for these bad boys. I will be using them in a 2 channel setup with a Krell Kav-400xi Integrated and a Krell SACD Standard Disc Player. I will be using Audioquest CV-8 and Type 8 speaker cable in a 8 ft. Double Bi-wire setup. I am also using Audioquest Balanced Cheetah interconnects in a 1 meter length. I have also changed the factory power cords on the Krell pieces to Audioquest NG-5. I would love to have your opinions on my setup as well as any more upgrades you think I should make. I will soon be a true member of "The Club"

Show your Logan Love
LOGANLOVE,

Welcome to the ML Club!

IMHO, I think your set-up is gonna "Rock" Big time! :D Yeah Baby Yeah! Have you always had this Krell equipment or did you just recently purchase it? I love the fact that you have totally awesome speaker / inter connects / power cords too. Audioquest has had some excellent reviews here on the ML Club. My question is, how do your ears like the sounds of your Audioquest cables? Also, an you tell me (us) what is your HT like? What are your HT room dimensions, please?
How exciting to have Summits coming soon directly from the ML factory... :D Congradulations! Enjoy your beautiful system.

PS - I hope you are planning to post your system at the "Member System" section of our site after your Summits come in. I for one would just love to see your totally awesome set-up... :D

It is great to have you here.

Thanks Robin, I will def provide you all with pictures when I get the speakers. The Krell equipment was just recently purchased for my two channel setup. I don't really want to comment on the Audioquest cables just yet because I have only used them on the Krell while hooked up to my Home Theater M&K speakers. Obviously these are not made for 2 channel playback. Don't get me wrong, the cables seem to be wonderful, but until I get them in my 2 channel enviroment I do not want to give much feedback. I am sure you can understand. I will include pics of my home theater also even though there are no Logans in that particular setup. My Theater room is small only about 11x11 feet. I have 4 reclining movie chairs, M&K THX 750 Speaker fronts and center, 150 sub and 150 rears. 6.1 surround setup, Denon AVR 3805 receiver, Yamaha DVD 2300, HD Tivo DirecTV, Monster HTS 3600

Last edited:
YES!!!

You are gonna be part of the club now with your shiny Summits! I want pics and more pics! I, too, am waiting for my ultra custom Birds Eye Maple Vantage... less than a month away!

Yay for the both of us!

Joey :D

Glorious Summits...

LOGANLOVE said:
Thanks Robin, I will def provide you all with pictures when I get the speakers. The Krell equipment was just recently purchased for my two channel setup. I don't really want to comment on the Audioquest cables just yet because I have only used them on the Krell while hooked up to my Home Theater M&K speakers. Obviously these are not made for 2 channel playback. Don't get me wrong, the cables seem to be wonderful, but until I get them in my 2 channel enviroment I do not want to give much feedback. I am sure you can understand. I will include pics of my home theater also even though there are no Logans in that particular setup. My Theater room is small only about 11x11 feet. I have 4 reclining movie chairs, M&K THX 750 Speaker fronts and center, 150 sub and 150 rears. 6.1 surround setup, Denon AVR 3805 receiver, Yamaha DVD 2300, HD Tivo DirecTV, Monster HTS 3600
LOGANLOVE,

I totally understand... I trust you will let us know how your Summits sound once you hook them up to your Krell & Audioquest gear?
I see your HT is smaller just like mine... :) Do you plan to continue to have the smaller room as your HT, long term? I kinda like my small HT. It has a unique sound all it's own and cosy as well... :D For coned, non-electrostatic speakers my ears really liked the sound of M&K's speakers. May ask what are you planning to do with your M&K system, after your Summits arrive?

Summits and Vantages...

Joey_V said:
YES!!!

You are gonna be part of the club now with your shiny Summits! I want pics and more pics! I, too, am waiting for my ultra custom Birds Eye Maple Vantage... less than a month away!

Yay for the both of us!

Joey
LOGANLOVE & Joey,

Hip Hip Horray for both of you! :D :D Joey, your BEM Vantages are the ultimate in cool. Seriously, I am so excited for you both... :D

Your ears and eyes will be sooooo happy, I am a bit envious, but in a good way. :D

Robin said:
LOGANLOVE,

I totally understand... I trust you will let us know how your Summits sound once you hook them up to your Krell & Audioquest gear?
I see your HT is smaller just like mine... :) Do you plan to continue to have the smaller room as your HT, long term? I kinda like my small HT. It has a unique sound all it's own and cosy as well... :D For coned, non-electrostatic speakers my ears really liked the sound of M&K's speakers. May ask what are you planning to do with your M&K system, after your Summits arrive?
I would like to look into upgrading my room setup, but until I move I am stuck in this room. As far as my speakers go, I would love to upgrade them as well, but I will have to pay off my new 2 channel setup first. Hopefully that will be done by year end.

Don't buy new bi-wire cables for your new speakers. They are not needed. (See product manuals for further details.) If you're using existing cables that you already have, different story. Because woofers are amplified internally, bi-wire becomes superfluous.

aliveatfive said:
Don't buy new bi-wire cables for your new speakers. They are not needed. (See product manuals for further details.) If you're using existing cables that you already have, different story. Because woofers are amplified internally, bi-wire becomes superfluous.
I read that in the manual on line so I called Martin Logan and Audioquest and here is what they said...True the Bass is powered internally in the Summits, however by using a double biwire I am keeping all the low end freq. out of the mids and the highs, thus ridding my system of any distortion caused from the bass freq. I will just not gain any advantage from the actual power side of things.

LOGANLOVE said:
True the Bass is powered internally in the Summits, however by using a double biwire I am keeping all the low end freq. out of the mids and the highs, thus ridding my system of any distortion caused from the bass freq.
I failed to see how bi-wiring can keep the low-freq out from the mids & highs. The full-range signal is available at the Krell KAV-400xi end of the cables and will go through BOTH wires of your speaker cables! I think this is marketing gimmicks to sell you a more expensive set of cables.

Spike

LOGANLOVE said:

Show your Logan Love

Well other then your cables looking a little mismatched it should be a grate system.

To clarify what I mean by mismatched, I think the cheetah interconnect with CV-8 speaker cable is going to be more of the interconnect then the CV-8 needs. The cheetah would be better shouted with the KE-8, Kilimanjaro, Everest or just about any of the earth series cables. That’s not to says you can’t run the cheetah with the CV-8 you just wont see the full performance of the cheetah, the jaguar, or panther would have been a batter match with CV-8. But hay if you ever fell like upgrading your speaker cables your interconnects will be ready.

Congrats on those new summits, and enjoy them.

I used to have bi-wired Transparent MusicWave Plus on my Ascents. I kept these when I got my Summits. I then got a single-wire pair of AQ Mont Blanc. The AQ (single) made a significant (positive) difference.

Zip3kx07 said:
Well other then your cables looking a little mismatched it should be a grate system.

To clarify what I mean by mismatched, I think the cheetah interconnect with CV-8 speaker cable is going to be more of the interconnect then the CV-8 needs. The cheetah would be better shouted with the KE-8, Kilimanjaro, Everest or just about any of the earth series cables. That’s not to says you can’t run the cheetah with the CV-8 you just wont see the full performance of the cheetah, the jaguar, or panther would have been a batter match with CV-8. But hay if you ever fell like upgrading your speaker cables your interconnects will be ready.

Congrats on those new summits, and enjoy them.
I plan on keeping the speaker cables I have unless I am just not pleased with what I hear when the Summits arrive. Then I will check out further options.
What are most people's opinion when it comes to Audioquest vs. Transparent cable?

Regarding biwiring.. I thought biwiring wasnt necessary with the new Logans since the sub is amped.

Joey_V said:
Regarding biwiring.. I thought biwiring wasnt necessary with the new Logans since the sub is amped.
It is not necessary, however, by using double biwire it feeds two independant feeds 1. to the binding posts for just the mids and highs and 2. to the binding posts for just the bass. As the old saying goes two is better than one. I agree that a single biwire is pointless but a double bi-wire still makes perfect sence.

loganlove, congratulations on your purchase of the Summits. I am sure they will sound great with the associated equipment you have, provided you do not set them up like the poor guy with all the guitars in Joey's thread. Surely he hasn't been actually trying to listen to them set up in the corners!?

There is no advantage to biwiring the Summits since they are internally amped. All biwires connect into a single point at either end of the speaker cable anyway. The frequencies are split up at the crossover inside the speaker and the low frequencies have no power going through the cables on the Summits.

You can use biwire and it will work just fine but you'll be wasting money if you spend more just to biwire. You're better off with a higher quality single wire with jumpers than a lesser biwire. Not needing jumpers is really the only benefit to biwiring on the Summits/Vantage.

On a different subject: I heard the Vantage speakers powered with the Krell SACD, 400xi integrated amp, inexpensive monster cables (single wired with the supplied ML jumper plates and it sounded great. I liked the sound of the Vantages enough to trade-in my beloved Cremonas for a pair of Summits with no regrets.

By the way, for wires I alternate between a single wire pair of Audience AU24 with homemade jumpers using nordost flatline wire and a pair of biwire Harmonic Tech Pro-9. They both work well with each having slighty different characteristics. You're really going to enjoy the Summits.

Last edited:
Well I made a little change for the better...I am getting my Summits with the Clear Aluminum instead of the Black and will have them within the week, so no more having to wait for a month. It did come with a price though...1000.00 upgrade charge for the Clear vs. Black Aluminum (ouch!)

Be careful with the clear aluminum.... dont confuse it with the $4K upcharge of the Chrome aluminum. The Chrome Aluminum is the one you see on most press releases of the Summits.

The clear aluminum is more like matte aluminum.

This is what I am getting

Attachments

• 140091.jpg
    140091.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 409

Latest posts

Back