New Summits - need more amp power?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anthement

I have a pair of new Summits on their way (I'm upgrading from Ascent i's). While I'm waiting about 2 weeks for them to arrive, I'm thinking about what to do with my amp and whether I should upgrade it as well to supply the Summits with more power.

I currently have a Lexicon LX-7 powering the Ascents (200w for each speaker). In my demos of the Summits my dealer was using a pair of 500w McIntosh monoblocks. Obviously I can expect some difference between the amps, however I am wondering how much and if its worth adding a second amp to bridge the power.

The option I was thinking of going with is to add a Lex LX-5 and bridge two of the channels for each of the Summits to give me 400w. I have heard different comments from a couple ML dealers on the benefits of doing this for the Summits and they have varried on their recommendation of staying with the current amp.

Any comments/advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

In my opinion, you don't need new amps. The Summits have a sensitivity of 92 dB which is easier to drive than your current Ascent i speaker. Besides the recommended power on the Summits is between 100 - 300 watts/channel @ 4 ohms. So if your Lexicon is rated at 200 wpc @ 8 ohms, you have enough, but of course, what is enough?

Rudy

Hey Michael, I'm also in Orange County. I have my Summits already but I'm still waiting for my custom cabinet to get done so my dealer can install them. Maybe we can hook up and compare notes.

Last edited:
I don’t think you need more power for the Summits. True the summits are more sensitive then the Ascents, the duel woofers on the summits are self powered. Unlike the Ascents single woofer that’s dependent on the power of your Amp. The Summits woofers only need an audio single from your LX-7 amp, your amp only has to power the panels.

I would wait for the Summit’s to arrive and see how they do with what you have before you start changing things around. I think the Summits are going to like a quality amp as apposed to a quantity power amp.

Last edited:
Zip3kx07 said:
I don’t think you need more power for the Summits. True the summits are more sensitive then the Ascents, the duel woofers on the summits are self powered. Unlike the Ascents single woofer that’s dependent on the power of your Amp. The Summits woofers only need an audio single from your LX-7 amp, your amp only has to power the panels.

I would wait for the Summit’s to arrive and see how they do with what you have before you start changing things around. I think the Summits are going to like a quality amp as apposed to a quantity power amp.

Hola. I could not say it better. Quality versus quantity (power)...the Summits will reveal any kind of electronics that you will use with them easy. So it is better to have quality than quantity. Trust you ears and not in specs!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

I would even vouch for a more subtle amp instead of a more powerful one. Although I think the Lexicon processors are brilliant in every way, I think the amps (made by Crown) are very rugged and neutral, but not the last word in refinement. Don't bridge, it degrades sound quality in many cases.

Back