New Summits ... have arrived...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AudioFanKJ

Greets to all - As of a couple of days ago, a new pair of Summits went into the listening room. Perhaps the first pair of Rotary Cut Bubinga with black rails? Perhaps not... I haven't seen others as of yet.

I have attached two photos of the veneer. They really turned out great.

Question for owners, what was the total break in time for the speakers? I know the manual states 72 hours, however in past experience manuals are rarely acurate. I had owned the SL3's (also purchased new) in the past, and recall them taking longer. Perhaps things have changed...

Also, what areas break in first, the bass, etc., etc. Just trying to get some guidelines on what to listen for...

I will try to post my system up here soon. That will take a few minutes... :)

Thanks for the information.

Attachments

• MLSummit012.jpg
    MLSummit012.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 709
  • MLSummit01.jpg
    MLSummit01.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 761
AudioFanKJ said:
Question for owners, what was the total break in time for the speakers? I know the manual states 72 hours, however in past experience manuals are rarely acurate. I had owned the SL3's (also purchased new) in the past, and recall them taking longer. Perhaps things have changed...

Also, what areas break in first, the bass, etc., etc. Just trying to get some guidelines on what to listen for...

They brake in best in my listening room. Just Fed-Ex them over to me and I will be more then happy to take care of that for you. :p

You will probably notice changes in sound for about the first 100 hours. The panels will be a little bright at first and the woofers will be tight, and probably be very apparent that the panel and woofer are playing. After a wile the woofers should loosen up and blend in with each other. In the end the integration of panel and woofers should be seamless.

They look grate, that for posting them.
You should add yourself to our members system when you get a chance. :D

WOW, those are absolutely beautiful. Please post some high-rez images soon.

New Summits...

AudioFanKJ,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Your Summits look Beautiful. I love the Rotary Cut Bubinga with the black rails... Awesome! :D What kind of electronics do you have driving your new Summits?

It's good to have you here... :D

As far as break-in goes, the panels achieve the magic before the woofers. True for my Ascents; true for my Summits. I did not "sit up and take notice" of the lower frequencies for about a month. Now I say: "WOW!"

break-in

Just right out of the box, my Summits sounded wonderful. I can't believe they will even get better after break-in. But if they do, I will listen to them and think I must be in heaven.

If I knew they offered that veneer.... well... wow. That is absolutely gorgeous. :)

Summit Break In

Although I don't know about the break in time, I thought you might be interested to know that The Absolute Sound has an awesome review of the Summits in this month's issue(3/06). Check it out. You'll be most proud of your new addition.

mevans216 said:
Although I don't know about the break in time, I thought you might be interested to know that The Absolute Sound has an awesome review of the Summits in this month's issue(3/06). Check it out. You'll be most proud of your new addition.
We have a thread or two going about that review. You can use the search function up top to find the threads if your interested.

The bubinga is beautiful. I have to admit I didn't like the looks of the summit design initially but it's grown on me.

You'll find that the improved efficiency of the Summits will really open up your possibilities for amplifiers that can drive it. It's truly a sensitive 92db speaker that responds well to tube power including some SETs. I currently have an Art Audio Carrissa on loan and it's sounding great with my Summits. This amp is a two tube 845 based amp with a volume control knob built in and puts out a mere 16 watts but with plenty of current.

I found they don't need much toe-in at all. Experiment with various locations and don't be in a hurry to pull out the spikes but the spikes seem to help tighten up the bass.

Congrats on your beautiful Summits. Post some more pictures and tell us what you'll be driving them with.

update & system info

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes, they do sound decent out of the box... however, I am expecting a lot as they are replacing a stellar speaker the Meadowlark Audio Blue Heron 2's. I recently moved into a new home and was having some room anomalies, specifically down 18-22 dB at 31-42 Hz. This was due to the builder not reinforcing the double stagger stud wall behind the speakers... long story short that entire wall was acting as a tuned bass absorber for that frequency range. I was only down 4 dB at 20 Hz, and 3 dB at 25 Hz... it was just from 31-42. Long story short the wife was not going to allow me to tear apart the new home we just moved into in November so my beloved Blue Heron 2's went up for sale. And I ordered a pair of speakers I hoped would work - the Summits - with tuneable bass. Long story (omitting a lot - trust me) a bit shorter, after my Meadowlarks had sold and the Summits were ordered, I was able to somehow get my wife to allow the renovation of that wall. (pics and story posted on Audiogon on my system thread)...

So, I am not saying I don't think the Summits will be a great speaker. They just have very large shoes to fill. I am sincerely hopeful they can do it!

My system consists of:

Speakers - ML Summits
Amp - H2o Audio Signature Monoblocks (www.iceh2oaudio.com)
Preamp - First Sound Presence Dlx Mk II w/NOS Amperex PQ white label 1962
Digital - Audio Aero Capitole II SE
Analog - Nottingham Spacedeck w/ Ace Space Arm
Cartridge - ZYX Airy 3S-SB
Phono Amp - Whest .20
Line Conditioner - BPT 3.5 Signature Plus
All Power Cords - Electraglide Epiphany's (except Epiphany X's on Summits)
Interconnects - Purist Audio Aqueous Anniversary (single ended)
Speaker Cable - Purist Audio Aqueous Anniversary (bi-wire)

Room is dedicated, 16'W x 22'L x 9'H with exposed 6"x8" beams/coffered ceiling... built in bookcase/shelving for vinyl in the rear of the room. Frise(kinda shag like) carpet, one side wall floor to ceiling drapes over triple side by side windows.

System thread and pics of renovation (listed under system components with pictures as tweaks) along with very long explanation of the room renovation posted near the end of my thread in the last few days.

Link to my system thread on Audiogon:

My System Thread

Thanks for all the advice and info. I currently have about 100 hours or so I am guessing on the Summits. Will keep all posted and perhaps list my system here as well... just have to figure out how to do it.

Welcome !

AudiofanKJ,

Congrats for your new acquisition and welcome to the ML club !

I've read with interest your system thread on Audiogon and feel we are lucky to count you as a club member ! Furthermore, it's always nice to see another ML owner mostly interested in 2 channel listening ! :)

Thanks for being there !

PS: I like your writing style. You indeed are a fine reviewer !

Last edited:
hey AudioFanKJ... the only meadowlarks i heard were a pair of kestrel monitors, but they were really awesome. open, big sound, liked them better than all the other monitors i heard in that price class.

i'd love to hear how the summitts are working out. is this your first pair of electrostats?

Another pair of Summits / Bubinga trim

Now I know that there's a twin out there. I, like you, had the SL3's prior to upgrading to the Summits. Prior to the SL3's, I had the Aerius and the CLS2 speakers.

I would count on 150 hours of break in based on my experience with the Summits. Usual stuff to listen to is highs and midrange becomming more liquid and the bass deepening and warming. Based on my previous experience with the SL3's, the difference between the two models is stunning. I normally check SPL to make sure I am listening at somewhat safe levels. In my old house, the SL3 DB level averaged 98DB or so. The new sound pressure level with the Summits is 88 to 90DB. So much more detail, transparency, slam, etc. Enjoy. It's a phenomenal speaker. Just take time and be patient with the final positioning. You will be well rewarded for your efforts.

GG

Latest posts

Back