New Room for My New Aeon's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregLett

Reaction score
This is the new home for my Aeon's. Three brick walls (front three) back wall is sheet rock. Room size is 10' 11" L ,14' W, about 7' H measured between the floor joist. If I put in a dropped ceiling, the height will be a little over 6' so I wont.

Attachments

• front of room.jpg
    front of room.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 284
  • ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 284
  • new back wall.jpg
    new back wall.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 286
  • frontfinnew.jpg
    frontfinnew.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 289
  • backwallfin.jpg
    backwallfin.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 287
More pics of room.

Attachments

• frontfinnew.jpg
    frontfinnew.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Aeon I.jpg
    Aeon I.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 283
Very nice.... I'd throw some diffusion or absorbtion behind the panels on that back wall (depending on your taste...in a smaller room I'd shy towards absorbtion) and you should be all set!

If only our MLs knew what we went through for them :p

Last night I put up some drapes along the back wall to see what is would do. It made the sound dull. I Know I need some bass traps in the corners (all four) and I will try some absorption on the wall behind the sitting position.

A crazy question. Do bass traps go low in the corner of high?

Last night I put up some drapes along the back wall to see what is would do. It made the sound dull.
Complete wall absorption will do that for the high end. Usually you do not treat an entire wall with either absorption or diffusion.

First reflection points, side walls and behind your seating position are also crucial points to treat. But usually require a different type of product than what you would use for bass trapping - i.e. less thickness

Ceilings, like what you have, can also be treated, though with our ML we do not get as much ceiling interaction due to their dispersion properties.

A crazy question. Do bass traps go low in the corner of high?
Both, as bass energy gathers anywhere two walls meet, and gather even more where tri-walls meet.

The best trapping for the corner is floor to ceiling coverage.

If unsure of what to do - and most of us are in regards to room acoustics, contact Glenn at GIK Acoustics, or Ethan at Real Traps. First decide on which product you want to purchase, GIK or Real Traps, then contact that individual and have a nice discussion about your room. No need to talk to one, and purchase the others product.

BTW, I can really relate to your room, as it is very similar to mine - basement, low ceilings, furnace and HW tank, drop ceiling, concrete everywhere, etc. etc.. My downside is when I moved into the house it was already finished :(

Dan

Last edited:
Another question. Besides the bass traps should I put any absorption material on the front wall (behind the speakers)? I was thinking of just putting a foam panel
in the center of it.

yeah, that was my comment about dispersion vs absortion per taste. Though my comment about a smaller room was thrown in there too. I suggested absorbtion for a smaller room because you often have many very early reflections, because all surfaces are so close to each other...so reducing the overall energy in the room might be good. I agree though, that maybe diffusion in the back and absorbtion on the side would be good to try...and if even that sounds dull to your ears...try diffusion all around.

Realistically...that "dullness" you hear is a reduction in reflected high frequencies...which are time delayed and thus "smeared" somewhat. By absorbing, though...you also reduce the amount of energy in the room (at the frequencies being absorbed...which with drapes, I would assume, would be almost entirely high frequencies) which unless you get absorbtion that works evenly across the frequency spectrum, you will change the tonal balance of the sound.

If you get the speakers far enough away from the front wall, the time delay is long enough that your ears percieve them as seperate sounds, and so they no longer smear the sound. That's essentially what difussion does, which is that it reflects the energy all around the room, so it maintains the same level of energy within the room, but changes the time delay so that at any one point the amount reaching your ear is too little to percieve as smearing.

The only thing that matters isn't theory...it's what sounds good to you. Let us know the differences you hear with different treatments!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Dan. I had planned on purchasing 3" studio foam wedge for the side walls and behind the listening
position. They also have a starter pack with both, what do you think?
I have tried both of the Auralex products and here are my opinions on it. For first reflection points and mid/high end absorption the Aurlex stuff works great.

For bass trapping, I would suggest the GIK Acoustic products, talk with Glenn for best results. For Real Traps, talk with Ethan about best product. Check out the absorption values between the two and see which may do better for you, then contact them by voice and have a drawing or pictures of your room ready to send to them for evaluation.

Real Traps also has a great graph of how their products work compared to Auralex, Foam By Mail (junk), etc. Here it is:

http://www.realtraps.com/data.htm

Later....Dan

Greg, nice job - I have "room envy". :drool:

I've got a nice spot in my basement all laid out al la Les Nessman from WKRP with duct tape defining where my dedicated space will be - but won't be able to realize construction for another year or so. I have the system in a semi-dedicated room right now (it's also the home office), but can't wait for the day when I can give the ReQuests some room to breathe and add HT back into the equation.

Mitt,

If you can do the work yourself you can start this weekend:D
After buying the Aeon's I'm on a shoe string budget for now.
Room treatment can get expensive..boy!!

Thanks.

Nice project Greg. Seems like you might need more electrical outlets in front?

Nice project Greg. Seems like you might need more electrical outlets in front?

Thanks. No. I have enough for now and if and when I get mono blocs. I'm actually going to have the pre and cd player on a table right in front of my seating position, and they will be pluged into an outlet there.
It's that way now but they are sitting on some home made stands for now.

I still have to get my couch, a trip to Ikea is in order:D

Excellent Tweak

I was told by a a fellow forum member (Don't know if he wants me to mention his name, please let me know) to give this a try due to my cement walls.

I went out and purchase one 36" x 84" door at H.D. I put one half behind each speaker. about 2' from the Panels.. It helped tremendously with the focus, and the bass. I also tried them together in the center, that also had great results with the focus of
my vocals. Can't believe how simple that was. I'm going to buy two more doors and experiment with three doors.

Attachments

• bifoldcenter.jpg
    bifoldcenter.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 176
I was told by a a fellow forum member (Don't know if he wants me to mention his name, please let me know) to give this a try due to my cement walls.

I went out and purchase one 36" x 84" door at H.D. I put one half behind each speaker. about 2' from the Panels.. It helped tremendously with the focus, and the bass. I also tried them together in the center, that also had great results with the focus of
my vocals. Can't believe how simple that was. I'm going to buy two more doors and experiment with three doors.

Gregg

It's perfectly allright to mention your sorces here! I'm glad that worked for you. OBTW, that tip I picked up here awhile back. Works like a charm...cheaper than most other solutions.

Gregg

It's perfectly allright to mention your sorces here! I'm glad that worked for you. OBTW, that tip I picked up here awhile back. Works like a charm...cheaper than most other solutions.

You bet! Seems like anytime something is made specifically for treatment is cost a bundle

You bet! Seems like anytime something is made specifically for treatment is cost a bundle
That is because Acoustic Treatment is very high on radar screens now for audiophiles. Three years or so ago, the only thing for acoustic treatment were the ASC Tube Traps and other associated products. Mostly used either in audio stores or studios, but never in the home.

Companies realize this, hence the extreme pricing. Yet if one searches there are companies out there that make a great product for just a little more than making it yourself. GIK Acoustics is one such a company.

Dan

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

That was me who posted about the slatted doors being used for diffussion purposses behind martin logans. I had posted pictures with them behind my oddessey's. The slatted doors redirect the rear wave to the sides and middle of the room instead of bouncing off the back wall and travelling right back to the stator. I have attached the pictures again for you.

To speed things up, prime the slatted door with white spray primmer , then you can paint them to match the color of paint on your walls so the doors blend in , better W.A.F. You can cut the doors down in height also, as I did with my previous set I had for my Aerius i's.

I can't take credit for the tweak as I read about it in the March 2002 Stereophile issue. As you said , it is cheap to do and the results are amazing. Here are the pictures again. I will be starting a dedicated room also, can't wait !!!

Cheers

Attachments

• Oddessey and bi-fold.jpg
    Oddessey and bi-fold.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Oddessey-right closeup.jpg
    Oddessey-right closeup.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 136
  • Oddessey-hall view.jpg
    Oddessey-hall view.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Oddessey-front close up.jpg
    Oddessey-front close up.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Very good "Moon", now I understand the moniker !!! Nice stuff, our neighbors to the North make some mighty fine audio gear !!!

Latest posts

Back