New ReQuest Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davioj

Reaction score
New panels ordered 6 to 8 weeks to be produced, anyone who has changed the reQuest panels about how long do they take to install. Very excited to get the new ones should go real well with the rest of my ML home media room. Anyone have trouble with power supplies or do you just wait for one to go before ordering ML said if the power supply is good then don't worry so i've asked them if they think that part will become obsolete, any opinions on that, because you can't get new caps any more.
Dave

I got some new panels for my Prodigy speakers a couple of years ago and they sound great. It was a huge improvement and the best $2800 I ever spent. I would not worry about upgrading any internal parts unless something breaks down. My speakers have been very reliable.

Yes these are 27 years old going to set them up to bi-wire them today and see if that improves them, even though they still sound good without the new panels I notice a loss when you add a little volume to them, thanks for the upgrade info, that's what ML said so I wanted to know if the power supplies would be going obsolete they are going to get me an answer because if so it would not be a bad idea to buy a spare.

Dave

New panels ordered 6 to 8 weeks to be produced, anyone who has changed the reQuest panels about how long do they take to install. Very excited to get the new ones should go real well with the rest of my ML home media room. Anyone have trouble with power supplies or do you just wait for one to go before ordering ML said if the power supply is good then don't worry so i've asked them if they think that part will become obsolete, any opinions on that, because you can't get new caps any more.
Dave
About an hour to swap the panels with a helper. It won't take as long to replace the panels as it will to get the speaker placement spot on.

Ya I know about speaker placement I had Ethoes for the fronts, now in rear, centre c esl and ceiling are motion series now reQuests for front, even though I think they need panel replacement still sound incredable for 27 year old panels, can't wait for new ones.

Dave

It probably takes longer to get the speakers in a place to work on than it takes to swap out the panels.

Did you get clear spars or micro perforated stators? I was bugging Ron in tech service and they agreed they'd make me Aerius I panels with clear spars but no micro perf. Can't have it all I guess.

No they are the perforated ones to match the rest of the system, also didn't know about clear spars might look into it now though.

Dave

Did you get clear spars or micro perforated stators? I was bugging Ron in tech service and they agreed they'd make me Aerius I panels with clear spars but no micro perf. Can't have it all I guess.
Where do you find clear spars and are they more expensive

Thanks there wink can't wait for them to make them, just talked to them today wondering if they made the speakers in Kansas or if they were made up here in Canada, new stuff is mfg. in Canada but they make the panels for the older stuff down there thought it would be good if they were made up here, the plant is only about 20 miles from me I could save on the shipping. Just finished bi-amping the reQuests an hour or so ago, they sound alot better bi-amped can't wait for the panels.

Dave

Thanks there wink can't wait for them to make them, just talked to them today wondering if they made the speakers in Kansas or if they were made up here in Canada, new stuff is mfg. in Canada but they make the panels for the older stuff down there thought it would be good if they were made up here, the plant is only about 20 miles from me I could save on the shipping. Just finished bi-amping the reQuests an hour or so ago, they sound alot better bi-amped can't wait for the panels.

Dave
Dave - is there a thread where you've described/taken pics of your bi-amp project?

Never thought about taking pics but here is what I did, out of receiver Anthem 1120 used a y adapter in the preamp section of front left and front right, ran them to the Anthem 50 amp, 2 amps left and left surround, same for the right side, last amp is still used for the centre . Then just used the surround amps in my receiver to run the surround speakers and left the atmos amps the same 4 height speakers, I use the back amps for zone 2, reQuests really changed doing this, they sound really good for 26 year old panels.

Dave

Takes about 20 min to replace each one Replace the Velcro strips and install stat stops…

Dan
Hey Dan is there any special velcro to use or just go to a fabric store and buy some self adhesive valcro.

Dave

Ouch - I paid $600 for a set in 2010. ML said they were the last set made - when did they restart production?

Well I heard they were stopping some tech support of older products then reverted to saying they were going to keep supporting older stuff but I don't know if that is true, but I phoned them and they said they could make me a set so I jumped right on it, they don't make them at their plant in Canada which is 20 miles from me but they make the older stuff in Kansas, just glad to know that they still do. Inflation really sucks though doesn't it, everything is tripling now but that's life. I wouldn't have bought these if I couldn't have repaneled them they are 26 years old with the same panels and they still sound decent but I know with a new set of panels they will sound that much better.

Dave

Well I heard they were stopping some tech support of older products then reverted to saying they were going to keep supporting older stuff but I don't know if that is true, but I phoned them and they said they could make me a set so I jumped right on it, they don't make them at their plant in Canada which is 20 miles from me but they make the older stuff in Kansas, just glad to know that they still do. Inflation really sucks though doesn't it, everything is tripling now but that's life. I wouldn't have bought these if I couldn't have repaneled them they are 26 years old with the same panels and they still sound decent but I know with a new set of panels they will sound that much better.

Dave
Inflation is insane now. Prices are so high that I actually do a double take to make sure that I didn't read it wrong.

Latest posts

Back