New Public Movie Theater...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Hypothetically, you want to be a very good, creative entrepreneur and offer the public something new and never before attempted, an "all Martin Logan", equiped sound system, in your new business, a public Movie Theater.

For your new business, your "Movie Theater", requires you to choose all of the Martin Logan speakers... Your movie theater's room dimentions are 160 feet long, by 90 feet wide, with a room height of 25 feet.

"Your mission, Jim, should you choose to except it....," is you must choose the very best, Martin Logan (Fronts, Surrounds and Rears) speakers possible. Generally, you need, four front speakers, twelve surround speakers, and four rear speakers, for a total of twenty, ML speakers. Additionally, you need to choose four subwoofers, but they do not have to be, ML subwoofers, that is optional. Your speaker budget is $300,000.00 (USD).

What would you do?.... What would you do?..., but please state, for the record, why would you chose, the ML speakers, you listed. Please tell me what, you would expect from the ML speakers sonically, in such a large venue.

;) *** For extra credit --> If you want to to recommend amplifiers, processors and cabling, it has to be of, "commercial" grade / quality, 10.2 (x2) capable. You can spend an additional, $300,000.00 (USD), for the amp., processor, cabling, etc...

-Robin

"This tape will self destruct in 10 seconds". "Good luck Jim..." :D

Last edited:
ML does not make PA speakers. The great benefit of ML speakers is the subtle details you get at home with a well set up system, but which are not possible in a large public venue. You want theater sound look for Klipsch, Bose etc for this application. :)

I'll agree with Atty on this one also. If I were building a theater, I'd use horn loaded speakers. Durable, not placement sensitive, easy to drive and louder than bejesus.

Tom.

TomDac said:
I'll agree with Atty on this one also. If I were building a theater, I'd use horn loaded speakers. Durable, not placement sensitive, easy to drive and louder than bejesus.

Tom.

Me too. All or most of the clubs in my local area use custom speakers/cabinets built by a local outfit. They're surprisingly high-fidelity (I have no idea what component parts that they use), but will also push serious SPL. While Logans can get loud, I don't think that they would do PA-loud very well...

Martin Logan speakers for a public movie theater...

Well guys, I do respect your oppinions to the max, and I thank you for your replies, so far...

IMHO, I think, an all Martin Logan speaker system, in public movie theater setting, could be possible. This is all hypothetical, I realize..., but here is my dream, and how, I would proceed, with my $300,000.00 (USD) speaker budget:

1). Center speakers: Four, Theater i's, or four, Stage's, mounted along the bottom of the theater screen. Cost, ...$12,000.00.

2). Fronts, and a major part of the Subwoofer system: I would purchase a complete, "ML Statement E2x". Cost, ...$120,000.00.

3). Surrounds and Rears: Sixteen, "Summits", mounted evenly around the movie theater. Mounted on cabling suspended from the sides angled to the audience (like in my system#57) Cost, ...$160,000.00.
Well, what did you guys expect... It's my fantacy movie theater... :D
As long as the kiddies, in attendance at the movie theater, don't start swinging on them..., but hey that's what "good" theater attendants are for, to prevent that kind of thing from happening, right?... :D :D

4). Subwoofers: I would use two, "Descents", to suppliment the, "Statement E2x" - two subwoofer towers. I would mount / position them in the front and back corners, I think. Cost, ...$6,000.00.

Total cost ............................................................. $298,000.00 (USD).

IMHO, I think, the above ML speakers, with alot of tweaking, would work, as well as, handle most all of the sonic challeges. Of course, I did not do the extra step i. e., Choosing the proper; amplifiers, processors and cabling, which as you guys know, would be extremely crucial... Well, maybe later, after some more resreach. Well, that's the real fun of this, kind of fantasy...

Oh Well, It is just a dream system. A mental excersize if you will..., but IMHO, it is fun just to wonder, what this kind of movie theater would sound like, tweak and try to make it all work well... I would, of course, want to invite all of you over, just to help me make it work, sucessfully. After that, we would have a big party, to celebrate in fine, "Martin Logan Club" style too... It's one of my dreams anyway... :D

What do you all think?

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
can I come to your theater , sounds awsome , especially the hanging surrounds, that is your trademark any ways , for amplification ......what else ....Krell master referance that is the system in Dan D'agastino's house big Krell big amps and E2 statement

Commercial grade - Processors, Amplifiers, Cabling...

C.A.P,

I think, "Krell Audio", is on the below listed web-site... I am researching, this more, but this sight has soooo, many Movie Theater - Processor, Amplifier, and Cabling companies to choose from, for a, "Public Movie Theater"... Check this web-site out:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/tmays/audio/cinema.htm

"Krell" sound cool too. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Well guys, I do respect your oppinions to the max, and I thank you for your replies, so far...

Oh Well, It is just a dream system. A mental excersize if you will..., but IMHO, it is fun just to wonder, what this kind of movie theater would sound like, tweak and try to make it all work well... I would, of course, want to invite all of you over, just to help me make it work, sucessfully. After that, we would have a big party, to celebrate in fine, "Martin Logan Club" style too... It's one of my dreams anyway... :D

What do you all think?

1. Me thinks you have been at too many Wine Tastings lately :D
2. I view ML's as Quality not Quantity. While we would like the sound, could it provide enough SPL's in that large setting?
3. I would agree with others on the horn or large drivers for this type of venue
4. If you are ever in the Boston area, make sure to go to the IMAX Theater at the Science Museam. Great sound, and the only wrap-around screen (180 degrees) that I know of for IMAX. Are there other IMAX theaters with this type of display?

Dan

Martin Logan's are not possible in a large venue...?

DTB300 said:
1. Me thinks you have been at too many Wine Tastings lately :D
2. I view ML's as Quality not Quantity. While we would like the sound, could it provide enough SPL's in that large setting?
3. I would agree with others on the horn or large drivers for this type of venue
4. If you are ever in the Boston area, make sure to go to the IMAX Theater at the Science Museam. Great sound, and the only wrap-around screen (180 degrees) that I know of for IMAX. Are there other IMAX theaters with this type of display?

Dan

Dan,

So..., you are saying, ML's could not handle a larger, 'Public Movie Theater', venue? They are more suitable for in home HT's only?... :confused:

Similar, to what kach22i, Tom, and Steve said, in this previous threat:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=535

Cheers

-Robin

PS - If ever, I am in Boston, I will definiatly stop by the, "IMAX Theater", at the museum of science. Thanks for the information, Dan... :D

Robin , as in imaginary thinking , horns are better suited for theater use, on that note, I think we could build the ultimate mini theater system , with all Logans

Excelent , web site , gives me the jitters looking

Mini theater sounds good...

C.A.P,

Yes, a 'mini theater' would be great fun too, especially, the building of the mini theater. The building of "Public Movie Theaters", is a very big business, apparently, as that web-site purports. It all seems facinating to me. :)

When do we start, just kidding. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin , as you know we would start asap , however $$$ stops us , we are a few die hards who want everybody to relize what we already know , MARTIN LOGAN ROCKS . I wish every body pursued our passion for the advancement of high end audio. :D :D :D

Robin said:
So..., you are saying, ML's could not handle a larger, 'Public Movie Theater', venue? They are more suitable for in home HT's only?... :confused:

From my experience and opinions, I think Logan's sound better at moderate volumes and not the kind of volumes one would expect in a theater setting. Again just my opinon on the matter.

PS - If ever, I am in Boston, I will definiatly stop by the, "IMAX Theater", at the museum of science. Thanks for the information, Dan... :D

It is quite an amazing experience. Ever see one of those movies where you are taking the view of a bird flying and your a trucking along, and suddenly, you go over a cliff setting? Well at the IMAX in Boston, your stomach will drop during this shot. Some people have to walk out of the theater due to the visual affects the 180 degree screen gives them.

I have seen IMAX flat screen and the one in Boston. Once you have seen an IMAX film in Boston you will understand what all the hoopla is about IMAX films. On the flat screens, they are just nice films :)

Also in Boston, before the movie starts, they have an audio check with Leonard Nimoy talking and you hear his voice pan around the theater and on different sides. It is a great way to start off a film.

Dan

Martin Logan Rocks!

C.A.P,

Thanks for the kind words... :) I'm with you Martin Logan Rocks! :D

Dan,

Yes, I see what you are saying about ML's. Thank you, for giving your excellent and thoughtful opinion, as you know, I respect and appreciate it... :)

I think, I have seen a, 360 surround IMAX show, at "Disneyland" in Anahiem, southern California, but that was about 15 years ago. As I remember, the theater at Disneyland, was one in which everyone just had to stand and looked up or to the sides. Unfortunately, as I recall, some folks got veritgo, and had to leave the theater. You are quite right it was truly a wonderful experiance. I want to see Boston's IMAX, as you suggested. :D

I want to see the "USS Constitution" too. I love fighting sailing ships. I have researched so much about the USS Consitution, and I just want to see it in person, someday. I know that for it's 200th Birthday, I was sailed to New York Harbor, for the July 4th celebration... It's the oldest, active, registered war ship in the US Naval fleet. Their is soooo, much history in Boston. Someday I'll come to see it for myself.

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
I want to see the "USS Constitution" too. I love fighting sailing ships. I have researched so much about the USS Consitution, and I just want to see it in person, someday. I know that for it's 200th Birthday, I was sailed to New York Harbor, for the July 4th celebration... It's the oldest, active, registered war ship in the US Naval fleet. Their is soooo, much history in Boston. Someday I'll come to see it for myself.

Been there, done that too. :)

It is amazing how small below deck is on the Constitution and how people/sailors lived in those days - no wonder they had such short life spans. Boston is a great city to visit for culture, entertainment, and food. I really enjoy myself each and everytime I go to visit my friend.

Dan

Boston...

Dan,

What you discribe, sounds just wonderful... :D Also, one of my favorite rock bands, comes from there, and just happen to have used the name, "Boston".

Boston, Mass., someday... :D :D :D

Sorry, for going a little bit off topic.

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
C.A.P,
I think, I have seen a, 360 surround IMAX show, at "Disneyland" in Anahiem, southern California, but that was about 15 years ago. As I remember, the theater at Disneyland, was one in which everyone just had to stand and looked up or to the sides. Unfortunately, as I recall, some folks got veritgo, and had to leave the theater. You are quite right it was truly a wonderful experiance. I want to see Boston's IMAX, as you suggested. :D
They have one in the St Louis Science center. It's really cool. You sit in a reclining chair and watch up, down, left, right, etc. Imax has nothing on Omnimax (what it's called). The speaker system is pretty nice too.

-Chris

Omnimax...

Chris,

Welcome to the ML Club! The very best web-site on the internet for all things Martin Logan. ;)

St. Louis's, Science center - Omnimax.... Sounds interesting, and the name, 'Omnimax', does sound familiar too... I bet, at least a few big cities, must enjoy, these kind of rap-around theaters. I think, Las Vagas, has one too, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for the information, Chris. :D

It's good to have you here at the ML Club! :D

Cheers

-Robin

welcome toTHE CLUB, :D I didnt post about the IMAX in boston but have seen the place in travel, however I do travel alot these days to ST Louis to do seminars, and will look to going there, again welcome and post your sig as to what you are runing :p

Back