New Preamp is here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know I told several of you guys at the Meet about this and my plans for conquering the world... I mean... conquering my end of the audio world.

I received the preamp today and was able to test it out at a local audiophile's system to make sure it's running in tiptop shape. Works good, looks good... and I am happy!

Cary SLP-98P (basically similar to my old preamp, but with upgraded Teflon capacitors AND a stellar MM PhonoStage).... not to mention in a cool black and silver color combo!

Anyway, here it is as I unpacked it this morning....
DSC01562.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

Will post impressions as they come along, but I figure this will be so close to my old preamp that I wont have anything new to post.

Oh... he did include 4 of Sylvania GTA tubes.... I've been running the GTB tubes so I am pretty excited to hear the two when I go back to school and my Summits.

Joey

You really need HELP!

Hey Joey,
Looks like you have a serious case of...Joeyitis. It was only...yesterday that you got on the Cary SLP-98 bandwagon and now you're getting the new 98P. If that's the case, DON'T (I repeat DON'T) get near the new all-tube ModWright 36.5 full-fledged pre-amp! I understand that the built-in phono stage is an option, but you'll need to get a dual-mono outboard power-supply for this. Do not go to Jam'n Audio for an audition! :D

Anyways, congrats on the new toy, but I really wonder how long it'll be before another "The new preamp" is here post!

Spike

Attachments

• modwrite 36.5.jpg
    modwrite 36.5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 253
Joey don't stop there just jump to ARC REF-3 and PH-7 and b done for a few years :D Only kidding, congrats on the latest upgrade sit and enjoy it a few days before upgrading again :eek: ..........Steve

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 238
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Somewhere along the line Joey MUST try the new Plinius Tautoro Pre-amp... only $8500 with optional phono stage! Besides, who needs toobs if you're gonna have an analog TT source! :D

Attachments

• tautoro.jpg
    tautoro.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 238
Dems dere fightin words!!!! :mad:

Just tryin' to pull him back from the "Dark Side", who's gravitational pull one cannot escape from! I too have crossed that abyss, now owning the tube-rectified Modwright SWL 9.0SE. Next thing ya know, by winter, Joey will have sold his Plinius and will be heating his dorm with a pair of McIntosh MC275 monoblocks! :D

Congratulations on the new preamp. We look forward to a review. Wouldn't it look nice in a system with those leather and chrome Summits we saw in Lawrence?!

Joey,

Congrats on the new preamp. Hopefully, it will be even better than your current one. If not, there's always the ARC Ref 3 as Stesom alluded to. ;)

Now all you need to do is sell those new speakers and you will have some money available for a good turntable. In fact, I am going out on a limb right now and predicting that Joey's next upgrade will, in fact, be a turntable.

Joey -
Strongly suggest you try to listen to a Ref 3 and a Ph 7 with some good vinyl records. That pair is as close to the live experience as I've ever had listening to reproduced music. Once you've had this as a reference point, you can then see how other choices stack up. I do not at all regret my purchase of those 2 ARC components and would advise their audition.

Joey -
Strongly suggest you try to listen to a Ref 3 and a Ph 7 with some good vinyl records. That pair is as close to the live experience as I've ever had listening to reproduced music. Once you've had this as a reference point, you can then see how other choices stack up. I do not at all regret my purchase of those 2 ARC components and would advise their audition.

Could not agree more with you......just throw in a REF CD7 and your done :D .....Steve

Leather and chrome? Tell me you're kidding!

No, watch one of the video's, it shows them, but you don't ever see the leather "box" part of the speaker. I would like to have seen that. The guy being interviewed said they were $20,000!!! YEOW!

Joey -

You guys are nuts..... no way in heck am I going to be able to scrounge up the $15000+ I need for that combo!!

This new preamp of mine was my way of circumventing an expensive phonostage since Cary said that the phonostage on this preamp is killer because it uses the preamp's circuits instead of having to build the circuits around a separate phonostage. Basically, I got far more than what I paid for in terms of the quality of the phonostage....

Until I get my feet firmly grounded with analog, I wont be going crazy.....
;)

Joey,

Congrats on the new preamp. Hopefully, it will be even better than your current one. If not, there's always the ARC Ref 3 as Stesom alluded to. ;)

Now all you need to do is sell those new speakers and you will have some money available for a good turntable. In fact, I am going out on a limb right now and predicting that Joey's next upgrade will, in fact, be a turntable.

Thanks Rich!!

I think this should be "slightly" better than my previous preamp, especially with the extra set of NOS tubes that I can play with... it's going to be fun! The phonostage is really what I'm after.... so I don't really know what to compare it to at the moment... hehehe, so much for a review right?

And you are right... once the SF sells... it's time for the TT!

You see what that Meet did?!?! And not to mention, talking to you?!?!? :)

Joey

I just realized that my tube collection is growing because of this most recent Cary preamp acquisition!

Cool... I'm becoming a bonafide nutcase!

DSC01589.jpg

You guys are nuts..... no way in heck am I going to be able to scrounge up the $15000+ I need for that combo!!

This new preamp of mine was my way of circumventing an expensive phonostage since Cary said that the phonostage on this preamp is killer because it uses the preamp's circuits instead of having to build the circuits around a separate phonostage. Basically, I got far more than what I paid for in terms of the quality of the phonostage....

Until I get my feet firmly grounded with analog, I wont be going crazy.....
;)

I didn't say you have to buy them now. Just listen. Get some perspective before you make some more expensive choices. I always liked to listen to what other people considered the best available before making choices. Who knows? You might despise the ARC house sound!

I didn't say you have to buy them now. Just listen. Get some perspective before you make some more expensive choices. I always liked to listen to what other people considered the best available before making choices. Who knows? You might despise the ARC house sound!

You're right... I will listen...

I'm just afraid that if I do, I may put myself in a spot where I "have" to upgrade. And that's never fun. :p

Enjoy your new preamp, Joey. I think you should get a turntable BEFORE you think about upgrading your preamp further-you'll want to use your best source to audition new preamps! That said when the time comes do be sure and listen to the ARC gear. Ref 3 technology is available in less elaborate ARC gear and the PH5 is great bang for the analog buck.

Back