New panels, sound the same?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think on here Summits are one of the most favored models. Im willing to bet that they will sound great. They do have an amp in them for the woofers, so thats nice.

I'm fortunate enough to have a pair of SL3's I bought in 2002 basically new. Later that year due to some electrical faults in my new home, I ended up getting new panels, power supplies, crossovers, etc., all funded by the idiots who installed the electrical system in my home! I felt nothing, BTW - those bastards could quite easily have killed my if I had even changed out a switch before the issues manifested. Turned out the old panels were fine, so I left them in (even tho' replacements only cost ~$500 at the time)... Not sure what storage in the original box/plastic packaging might've done to them in 20 years, but I still have the unsused replacement panels!

I think if I were in your situation, I would replace the panels, and maybe follow @Brandon Hartwick's thread (How to: active bass section) on bypassing crossovers and using an active system.

Reason I say this is:
1) if you decided to go with Summits, you'd end up having to replace the panels sooner-or later, so add #3,000 USD or more to the $5,000 price for used Summits...
2) To replace with current (equivalent panel area) speakers (allowing for gains in efficiencies), that's still the 13's @ ~$15,000
3) Panels replacement is $3,000. Amps like Brandon used for Bass would cost you about $1,000 for BOTH channels. In this model you wouldn'y have to buy expensive Crossover componenets and futz around with tuning them, either.

Lastly, maybe consider adding a (musical) subwoofer to your system ($1,000 - $2,000).

Just my $0.02. Enjoy whichever path you choose!

My Prodigy panels we around $2900 over 1 year ago. Well worth it IMO. My panels were original, so built in 2000. You can tell when the panels were built by looking at the serial number on them. The speaker cabinet also has its on serial tag.
My new panels sound much better and have much higher volume as well.

Possible to describe difference old vs new ?
For me it was much better high frequencies and much more volume. Prior to replacement, I had to turn up the gain on my receiver to as high as it would go in order to get the volume on the speakers correct. Before replacing, if I didnt use Audyssey on the speaker, they sounded all muffled and absolutely terrible.

You shouldnt have to turn up the gain on your receiver or preamp much at all for those speakers. My new ones I think are at +1 or so.

@Jazzman53
I really like what you've doing, but I DO think it's pretty poor form to hijack (yes, you did) a thread in this fashion. The OP asked about a comparison of the sound before/after re-paneling his speakers. That does NOT equate to "Hey, here's another option that may/may not be of financial benefit to me" Just sayin'

@Jazzman53
I really like what you've doing, but I DO think it's pretty poor form to hijack (yes, you did) a thread in this fashion. The OP asked about a comparison of the sound before/after re-paneling his speakers. That does NOT equate to "Hey, here's another option that may/may not be of financial benefit to me" Just sayin'

Other speaker options were mentioned in this thread prior to my posting but I do apologize if I've offended anyone, and have no objection to the moderator moving (or removing) my post.

Back