New panels for Sequel II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If refurbishing the Sequels, I'd do the following:

New Panels
New Scanspeak woofers (if the unit has a sealed box)
Bypass old passive XO and go active XO with a DriveRack Venu360

The only elements left in the speaker will be totally passive (except the energizer board), see my SL3XC build thread.

If the DriveRack is daunting, then the DEQX is a great option, as it is much more user-friendly and approachable for an audio fan. The HDP-Express II is the recommended model It even allows integrating a sub and does room correction.

My 28 year-old Sequels are still on original panels and woofers, but since they are my surround rear speakers, they are not that stressed and still perform well. But I'm figuring I'll need to replace the woofers and panels some day soon, or consider newer models. But I really like the fact that Gen1 speakers are the full 6' height, which for rears is a good thing.

If refurbishing the Sequels, I'd do the following:

New Panels
New Scanspeak woofers (if the unit has a sealed box)
Bypass old passive XO and go active XO with a DriveRack Venu360

The only elements left in the speaker will be totally passive (except the energizer board), see my SL3XC build thread.

If the DriveRack is daunting, then the DEQX is a great option, as it is much more user-friendly and approachable for an audio fan. The HDP-Express II is the recommended model It even allows integrating a sub and does room correction.

My 28 year-old Sequels are still on original panels and woofers, but since they are my surround rear speakers, they are not that stressed and still perform well. But I'm figuring I'll need to replace the woofers and panels some day soon, or consider newer models. But I really like the fact that Gen1 speakers are the full 6' height, which for rears is a good thing.

I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD that would work. ML says XO for the Sequels is at 250hz@12db/oct pretty good place to start. Pretty simple XO point.
It would be interesting to nudge up that XO point relieving the panels of some lower frequencies that might stress them out.
The 10’s would need an amp, Parasound is a two ch integrated, hipass and lowpass only go up to 140hz.
Maybe do a diy woofer system with a column of 6.5”dayton woofers like the
IRS V’s, and bypass the 10” woofer all together, skys the limit Lol. Dayton makes 6.5” 7” 8” woofs that are damn good quality…. I use them in my HT diy speakers

I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD that would work. ML says XO for the Sequels is at 250hz@12db/oct pretty good place to start. Pretty simple XO point.

A miniDSP HD will do. I'd use 320 to 350Hz on the panel @24/dB / Octave. That's what I do on the exact same size panel in the SL3XC.
Panel is much happier and the new woofer can handle that.

Use a sub <80Hz and the Sequels will play nice and clean.

The 10’s would need an amp
A $370 Crown XLS 1002 will do the job, or any amp ~100 to 200w/ch if running a sub.

Measure impulse responses on both panels and woofer and time-align them. Double-check using group-delay metrics (smoother plot = better alignment).
Same for Sequel to sub, ensure the Group Delay is minimized.

Maybe do a diy woofer system with a column of 6.5”dayton woofers like the
IRS V’s, and bypass the 10” woofer all together, skys the limit Lol. Dayton makes 6.5” 7” 8” woofs that are damn good quality…

Yep, that works marvelously well. The SL3XC is better in the mid-bass region than my customized Monoliths.

finaltopfrontview_sml-jpg.1189

A miniDSP HD will do. I'd use 320 to 350Hz on the panel @24/dB / Octave. That's what I do on the exact same size panel in the SL3XC.
Panel is much happier and the new woofer can handle that.

Use a sub <80Hz and the Sequels will play nice and clean.

A $370 Crown XLS 1002 will do the job, or any amp ~100 to 200w/ch if running a sub.

Measure impulse responses on both panels and woofer and time-align them. Double-check using group-delay metrics (smoother plot = better alignment).
Same for Sequel to sub, ensure the Group Delay is minimized.

Yep, that works marvelously well. The SL3XC is better in the mid-bass region than my customized Monoliths.

finaltopfrontview_sml-jpg.1189

Ok, now we’re talking !

Back