New Ownership for Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also heard the Neolit some years back at a Hi-Fi fair. Although good, not that good, but maybe this due to the the rest of the gear or the rooms with too many people. In any case even if I had that kind of money to through after a set of speakers I would not allow them in my home - and wife would likely demand a divorce. My wife was also not that impressed at the fair.

I also heard the Neolit some years back at a Hi-Fi fair. Although good, not that good, but maybe this due to the the rest of the gear or the rooms with too many people. In any case even if I had that kind of money to through after a set of speakers I would not allow them in my home - and wife would likely demand a divorce. My wife was also not that impressed at the fair.
Yeah, I think even for the rich spending that much on a set of speakers would be hard to convince the wife. Why is it that men seem so much more into audio than women!? I honestly dont understand.

Because men seem to need the unneeded an most oversized whilst women will go to the edge of what they can really benefit from and also enjoy the house. In our case my wife will say yes as long she sees/hears it is genuinely better and we can still enjoy the house (goes for me too). Ok I'm the one driving it, meaning she'll rarely ask for anything to be upgraded.

Just out of interest, what is the ratio of men to women on MLO?

Over the 15+ years I've belonged, I can only recall a couple of women, out of hundreds and hundreds of guys.

There are several spouses of members who really enjoy the music, and some even participate in systems setup (my wife was instrumental in creating the custom sidewall treatments in our HT).

But my wife, in spite of 40+ years with an avid audiophile, is just as happy listening for hours to her Apple HomePod (just one) as she works on her computer. Was not all interested in high-quality headphones, her AirpodPros are all she wants.

My wife loves music and buys CDs to play on our system all the time. She says she appreciates our gear but I know that deep down
if we were playing mp3 files on computer speakers, she would be fine with that as well.

My wife and kids are the same. All are ladies, im on my own here! I'm having my Prodigy panels refurbished now and using 20 year plus old Definitive DR 7 speakers until the work is done. They tell me that they can't tell the difference. :confused: I think the DR 7s I have are the original. Just one little tweeter and one small woofer.

Same here, I'm always tweaking and listening to my ML systems. She's happy listening to music on Google Home. And she works in video production!

Once in a while after tweaking (example, expensive new cables) and I'd tell her the sound has improved and I can hear a difference and she'll reply "that's nice dear". 🤷🏻‍♂️ There's absolutely no chance she'd ever be on a web forum discussing audio equipment.

I'm married to a women with a music degree who understands more about music than I ever will, and has a better set of ears as well. She LOVES to listen to music on our system, but she seems to find a lot of it a big mystery (too many boxes, buttons, switches, displays, cables, etc). Anyway, she is definitely into audio... but I don't think she really wants much more than an On/Off switch and a volume control (although the flip side of this is that she was the one that ultimately convinced me to go for the ESL 15's over the ESL 13's)! Just my two cents...

I'm married to a women with a music degree who understands more about music than I ever will, and has a better set of ears as well. She LOVES to listen to music on our system, but she seems to find a lot of it a big mystery (too many boxes, buttons, switches, displays, cables, etc). Anyway, she is definitely into audio... but I don't think she really wants much more than an On/Off switch and a volume control (although the flip side of this is that she was the one that ultimately convinced me to go for the ESL 15's over the ESL 13's)! Just my two cents...
So she is able to tell the difference between a great set of MLs and a set of Bose and appreciate it! You're a lucky guy. :love:

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.
I feel it's mostly males who like to devote lots of time to equipment and setup. The women I've known over my lifetime (I'm 78) only want to hear whichever genre of music they prefer over anything that can reproduce sound, mono or stereo or surround. That always saddened me, as I wanted someone to respond to the changes and upgrades I felt I had made to the experience. Was never to be. BUT !!! Now that I'm 78 and have most of my hearing intact (up to about 10kHz), I find I am more content with any reasonable sound system, although it's nice to settle down with the best I can afford from time to time. I have several "systems", from computer 2.1 to a desktop 2.0 to a garage system with separate components to my main M-L system. If I had to, I now feel I could live out the rest of my life with any of them, dependent on my circumstances. Although I HATE earbuds, I even manage to be content walking with my MP3 player ;-)

Altec-Lansing 2.1 computer speakers
415QToSAbHL.jpg

Sony desktop system (mainly for motorhome)
sony-cmt-nez5-front -grilles off.jpg

Garage system: Technics receiver, Sony CD with Burr-Brown DAC, Onkyo tape deck, Mission 760i speakers, ProLinear 8" powered sub (not shown).
Garage system in 2015 small.jpg

Main system: Sony CD with TDA1541 DAC, Rotel preamp/Proc, Adcom power amp, Onkyo tuner, M-L original Aerius.
My front end Aug 2010.jpg

interior angle.jpg

turntable and left speaker 2013 small.jpg

Last edited:
I especially love the Care Bear Bass Traps!
The house is filled with bears. In fact my wife did a cull recently, as she felt we had just too many ;-) There are +24 in the family room still plus more scattered throughout the house. You have to move at least one bear if you want to sit down ;-) We have more in boxes in the garage ;-) The bear necessities of life !!! OOps I forgot: there are 14 more behind the M-L's on and around bookshelves (you can see a Boyd's bear above the black Sony CD).

My wife liked the sound out of our tv speakers as much as my surround system. So, I sat in her chair and it sounded TERRIBLE. I had it all tweaked to my chair where it sounded AWESOME. So, I took a day and retweaked it to her chair and then she said, "this really sounds good". Now she demands we use our surround sound Martin Logan based system. Of course I lost some of my awesome (a little bit) at my chair, but it was well worth it to get her onboard. A happy wife is a happy life!

My wife liked the sound out of our tv speakers as much as my surround system. So, I sat in her chair and it sounded TERRIBLE. I had it all tweaked to my chair where it sounded AWESOME. So, I took a day and retweaked it to her chair and then she said, "this really sounds good". Now she demands we use our surround sound Martin Logan based system. Of course I lost some of my awesome (a little bit) at my chair, but it was well worth it to get her onboard. A happy wife is a happy life!
How far apart are your chairs? Just curious.

Our chairs are about 5 feet apart or so. But the room has serious problems and we are only about 10 feet from the speakers themselves. Remember I'm in a one bedroom apartment. When I had my house I had concert level reproduction at 105 DB with ease. But those days are gone. I still have a very nice sounding system but it is not AWESOME and AMAZING like it was years ago. I had different speakers then that are not even made any more and a big open room. Im happy with my current set up.

Our chairs are about 5 feet apart or so. But the room has serious problems and we are only about 10 feet from the speakers themselves. Remember I'm in a one bedroom apartment. When I had my house I had concert level reproduction at 105 DB with ease. But those days are gone. I still have a very nice sounding system but it is not AWESOME and AMAZING like it was years ago. I had different speakers then that are not even made any more and a big open room. Im happy with my current set up.
Yikes, lots to deal with now. I remember when I lived in an apartment after college and had a nasty neighbor that was always calling the police on me for noise.

Now that's funny. Calling the police for your noise? I'm wondering what your noise was and how loud? Enquiring minds want the info!

Latest posts

Back