New (old) CLSs!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanusa

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum!

I just bought a pair of CLS and they arrived on Monday. :D After many searches on this site, and many emails exchanged with Jim Power, I have finally got them to play without buzz or static. The breakthrough was this morning when Jim guided me through removing the stiffener tape from the panels that was causing a lot of buzz. You can see what's left of the stiffener tape on the floor between the speakers.

These are original CLS with slightly upgraded power supplies by Martin Logan to lower the high voltage. They also have the newer style panels although panel age is up there (11 and 16 years). I will probably replace the panels before long but right now they sound just fine!!

Attachments

• DSCN1472-1.jpg
    DSCN1472-1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 258
First off Welcome you lucky S.O.B.! I've been sort of looking around for CLS's in the background. Where and how did you find them! You lucky S.O.B.

I'll bet they sound great and that you'll have many hours of great listening through them. Enjoy rediscovering your music collection.

You lucky S.O.B.!:welcome:

Thanks, these were on Ebay Saturday before last. I had just lost out on another pair (in the last 20 seconds) the night before so I jumped on these! These were available pick up only but the seller changed his mind and they ended up being shipped (safely) to me!

Once I got all the buzzes and pops out, they really began to sing

Seriously, I'll bet that you'll have countless hours enjoying music through them. You should get your setup into our Members Systems section. Looks like you're driving them with a Mac amp, what else is in the system?

I echo what Tim just said... lucky S.O.B.!

:welcome: to our little clan! Make yourself at home and stay awhile... much to do, much to see, much to talk about!

Joey

Thanks to all, great to be here! Checkout System #210 for a full description of my system!!

These are original CLS with slightly upgraded power supplies by Martin Logan to lower the high voltage. They also have the newer style panels although panel age is up there (11 and 16 years). I will probably replace the panels before long but right now they sound just fine!!
Welcome! I did the ministatement thing too (replaced with a Depth -- much better) and still have my Studietto (see system). One thing I hope you'll consider this time around is putting the CLS on Sound Anchor stands (it only took me 13 years to figure out that was the trick ;-)

Welcome! I did the ministatement thing too (replaced with a Depth -- much better) and still have my Studietto (see system). One thing I hope you'll consider this time around is putting the CLS on Sound Anchor stands (it only took me 13 years to figure out that was the trick ;-)

I did have stands on the IIzs, I think they were Arcici. I did use them and prefer them to floor placement. Probably hard to find stands for CLSs these days though.
:(

Not so . . . . .

I did have stands on the IIzs, I think they were Arcici. I did use them and prefer them to floor placement. Probably hard to find stands for CLSs these days though.
:(
Check it out mon! http://www.soundanchor.com/page24.html
They're $575/pr. and beautifully made (way nicer than the Arcici.)
Larry Diaz at www.highendpalace.com in Hollywood, FL will usually give you $100 off.
Click my system to see what they look like.

Check it out mon! http://www.soundanchor.com/page24.html
They're $575/pr. and beautifully made (way nicer than the Arcici.)
Larry Diaz at www.highendpalace.com in Hollywood, FL will usually give you $100 off.
Click my system to see what they look like.

Thanks for the tip on the stands, I'll check em out! :cool:

You and I have tread a lot of the same ground! I became frustrated with noisy tubes in the CAT preamp and replaced it with Mark Levinson a No. 26 and 25s combo. I liked these a lot although I got tired of the Camac connector business.

I just recently sold my Mac MC275 IV since I had too many amps and needed the cash. :( I agree this is one heck of an amp and people would not believe how it could drive my MG-IIIas full range!!

I had a Studietto with a Syrinx PU-3 before I got the Studio/T-3b. I liked the Studietto/Syrinx combo, it was a more practical product than the Studio/T-3b.

It seems I had better luck than you with the SW-800s. I was able to get a really nice blend with the IIzs in my room. My room was very big though and I needed a high crossover to get extended bass. The SW-800s were the only speakers or subs I have ever owned that actually were flat down to 18 Hz, amazing! One thing I did not like was the gold plating flaked off the RCA jacks on the crossover-- not cool!

Back