New music help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
Ok,
I got a $50 gift/debit card for Christmas from my boss. I was hoping for something more like $1k so I could pick up a sub, but unfortunately my boss likes his money more the I do (rats!).

I'm looking for some advice on new music. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and need to explore a bit. I'm feeling in the acoustic guitar-ish mood (can be pop or even classical, I'm not big on Country). Any suggestions?

Kruppy said:
Ok,
I got a $50 gift/debit card for Christmas from my boss. I was hoping for something more like $1k so I could pick up a sub, but unfortunately my boss likes his money more the I do (rats!).

I'm looking for some advice on new music. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and need to explore a bit. I'm feeling in the acoustic guitar-ish mood (can be pop or even classical, I'm not big on Country). Any suggestions?

If you like acoustical music, I highly suggest that you check out the "Acoustic Alchemy' Blue Chip" CD. It may not be something that is in stock at you're local record store but they can most likely order it. It has ten tracks of pure listening bliss! :cool: I love to play it for people that have never heard it. They always ask me what it is after hearing it. Makes fantastic background music for dinner parties or small gatherings too! Oh, and this is certainly not of the country genre! If you do get it, I would like to hear what you think of it!

Oh, and sorry to hear that you're boss is so cheap! :(

if you like blues try Chris Thomas King " RED MUD" its a great acustic blues album wonderfuly recorded.

For Acoustic Rock try ALICE IN CHAINS "MTV Unplugged" . I wasn't crazy about it at first but this CD grew on me after a few spins. It's recorded very well for a live session and the acoustic guitar plays nicely through MLs. Very good soundstaging.

Also, try any of the Fourplay or Acoustic Alchemy CDs.

I know I'm deviating a little since you asked for acoustic guitar but here are 2 recommendations that you might like. I believe some songs are acoustic and some are plugged in. However these are some from my collection that bring out the best of MLs.

1. CHIELI MINUCCI "Got It Goin' On".
2. CRAIG CHAQUICO "PANORAMA, THE BEST OF CRAIG CHAQUICO". Craig Chaquico was Jefferson Starship's lead guitarist.

Last edited:
1. "Flamenco Passion" Various Artist XRCD2
2. Jackson Browne "Solo Acoustic, Vol.1" CD
Excellent sound with my logans!

I'll second (third?) Acoustic Alchemy, in particular, "Red Dust and Spanish Lace" is a favorite. About the best description of the style would be jazz with a bit of flamenco influence.

Thanks for the ideas everyone,
I'm currently visiting my Mother-in-law in northern MI. As soon as I'm back in town I'm going to do a little research/sampling hopefully followed by some spending. Will report back with results.....

Kruppy said:
Thanks for the ideas everyone,
I'm currently visiting my Mother-in-law in northern MI. As soon as I'm back in town I'm going to do a little research/sampling hopefully followed by some spending. Will report back with results.....
Hola Kruppy. I will recomend to you: Flamenco, an old Philips recording with Pepe Romero playing spanish guitar. This particular recording is one of my favorite. I use it as a reference. On track no. 2 you will find a guitar player located at the center left, in front of you and a spanish dancer (zapateado) dancing all over the stage. You can listen how this dancer snaps his fingers and also moves all over while the guitar remains still and clear with the right size and timbre. It is one of those rarities recordings of the world. Also at track no. 4, you have the "cantador" (male singer) with guitar and castañuelas (castanets). These castañuelas are made of ebony wood and you can listen both, the bass castañuelas and then the alto castañuelas. They are played in different rythm, the first castañuela is different than the second one. You will hear a lot of air between them, and also crystal clear recording, The funny thing here, is that they seems to be at the height of the player, with the hands almost in front of their face...good for imaging. On track no. 7 you will have this great guitar player, with a lot of soul playing for you!. On track no. 12, you have it all, spanish hand clapping, castañuelas, zapateado, cantador and guitar...try to get it!...its an old recording...but one of the best!...highly recommended.
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto,
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist suggesting some Flamenco music :) .

I'm looking forward to checking it out....

You expressed an interest in classical guitar...have you heard Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (it's a concerto for acoustic guitar and orchestra)? The second movement is famous, I think most people would recognize it, even if they didn't know it as such.

Kal_S recommends a recording of this piece in the 'best recording on your system' thread
www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=337&page=3

Give it a try - I bet you will really enjoy it.

Sky Saw said:
You expressed an interest in classical guitar...have you heard Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (it's a concerto for acoustic guitar and orchestra)? The second movement is famous, I think most people would recognize it, even if they didn't know it as such.

Kal_S recommends a recording of this piece in the 'best recording on your system' thread
www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=337&page=3

Give it a try - I bet you will really enjoy it.

Hola Sky Saw. Yes, the "Concierto de Aranjuez" it´s a master piece. There are many recordings with great guitar players like John Williams, Narciso Yepes, Jullian Bream, Paco de Lucía, Manuel Barrueco, Luis García Navarro, Siegfried Behrend, Chirstopher Parkening, Ernesto Bitetti, etc. But my favorite is Pepe Romero-guitar, St Martin in the Fields-orchestra. This recording is unique to my ears, the work and comunication with the strings and the way that the director follows the guitar is remarkable. Also, the recording is very good. As all of you know, I studied for 14 years classical guitar until I had a severe back accident at home, and I can´t play anymore. Of course, once in while I play some easy works like La Romanza, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, Capricho Arabe...imho, Pepe has a great sound and the way that he feels specailly the second movement, to my liking, it is one of the best. Try it also, you won´t be dissapointed. One thing that I like of classical music is to have on hand such great players, and we can listen how different each player feels the music and the way to perform the work. ML show us this without any effort. This is why I´m so crazy about ML...thanks for your suggestion Sky Say, happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
The new Jackson Browne CD does sound wonderful. Also the Glen Phillips live at largo and the John Mayer trio live in concert. For a not so new disc try Graham Parker Live! Alone in America.

Latest posts

Back