new model CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in the new CLX's. If they're priced right - that may be my next upgrade path.

roberto said:
...this is also a never ending history. When you have too much bass energy in your room, the stage is difficult to get...I start listening the quality, speed. right in size of the bass notes and the player at the stage, and I start to bring down the sub level at a certain point where I said there to myself...

I have noticed that with my Summits, as they're running in, I'm reducing the bass level controls. Too much bass energy in the room really does detract from soundstaging, imaging and musicality. Both the 25Hz and the 50Hz controls are now set in the minus.

They must be close to releasing these. . .

Great posts JFM and JonFo. I'm thinking that ML must be pretty close to releasing these, if they are already showing off a Descent with a crossover setting to match them. What a tease these guys are.

JonFo, you jokingly bring up a point that I have been thinking fairly seriously about. When are speaker manufacturers going to get a clue about the desire of some to have truly equal speakers across the front in a home theater/multi-channel audio setup and sell speakers individually, rather than in pairs? A lot of us would spend the bucks to have three identical speakers across the front if they made it easy on us. I'm thinking three CLX's, with matching custom JonFo line array bass towers, a pair of Descent i's, and I can use my Ascents for the rear channels. Hey I can dream, right?

edwinr said:
I have noticed that with my Summits, as they're running in, I'm reducing the bass level controls. Too much bass energy in the room really does detract from soundstaging, imaging and musicality. Both the 25Hz and the 50Hz controls are now set in the minus.
Hola Edwinr, and your stage is more stable, and much less ping-pong notes. The cymbals are with the drummer, and not too forward (like the plastic man playing drums :D) and a lot of depth, 3 dimensional sound. Bass energy is great for HT application, due to sound effects and it is needed definitely. With the control at the Summits, you can adjust the energy for great bass and right size in any room. If you play a bass, then getting the instrument natural resonance is more easy with these controls. The Vantage is another winner too, even that they have only one control at 35Hz. You can tune your room for the right amount of bass enery for music and this is what most of us are...listening to music. The new CLX will be a challenge for ML team. It will be not an easy task, but not impossible. I agreed that they would be, thinking loud, perhaps smaller...but the know control at the subs are in the order of 30 Hz, so I am assuming that they will go that deep too. (my teacher teached me never ass-u-me because it will make an ass of you and me :D ). I think that we have to wait and have a very careful listening session at this new athomic bomb product...will have his lovers and will have the ones that perhaps will not like them at all, but I do assure you: it would be a high class product with tons of listening hours before the product will get in our hands. ML team is very dedicated to the best sound, and if this is not true, why we have this club? It is because we hear, listen, feel, sense, see, get and much more than any other speaker of the whole world for what we paid, the best of the music and the musician(s) playing for us through them, right?...Have you notice that I don´t say trust your ears so often as I did before? Any time you read my posts, you already are thinking so...the best tool that we have is our own ears, nothing can match them...and does not matter is your are partially deaf, no sir!!! Our own ears are the ones that tell us how great and natural with right size, air between instruments, voices, etc., you are getting from your system...happy listening my friends,
Roberto.

lugano said:
Looks like Joey's timing might be just right...I bet he'll be the first one here to get the CLX !! :)

As of tonight, my Summits are already sale pending....

Man.... CLX.... uh oh.... few years, few years! :D

Joey_V said:

Hi Joey, out of curiousity, what will you be listening to in the meantime ??

Joey_V said:

Now, buddy. Just take a few deep breaths. Breath in... breath out... :D

Joey_V said:

Don't worry Joey - your timing may be perfect. Play with a small stand mount monitor for a bit, get that M.D. and let yourself consider the new 'fullrange' panel.

The banks will be falling over themselves to induce massive debt and have a customer for life (and in death) - I don't think the CLX is too far away. Good stage of life to be a little more transportable anyway.

Kevin

I always love your posts roberto, really the ones I read carefully! :cool: You must be really anticipating this speaker!

garmtz said:
I always love your posts roberto, really the ones I read carefully! :cool: You must be really anticipating this speaker!
Hola Garmtz...Gee, thanks for your kind words...I think could be because I have the ML bug in my heart!...I am a frustrated musician, I had an accident and broke my back and can´t play anymore my guitar as I did before. Now I only can play just few minutes, then I have to stop. Due to this little problem, I decided instead of playing music, listen the music was the way to go. The accident was long time ago, had back surgery for two discs (L4 and L5). The accident was in 85, and at that time I was already with Conrad Johnson with Magneplanar, but was searching for a sound that I had the instrument with me! I met the CLS in 87, and since then, I am stuck to ML sound!!! To my personal liking, it is not due to highs or mids, lows etc, it is to the quality of the size and feeling of the musican(s) playing the instruments what makes me to be like this. No other speakers brands of the world regardless of price, produce in me this feeling. I am not saying that ML is perfect, no...but tweaking them is so easy to listen the changes, and so diverse in positions of the stage and what you would like to have in your own room is granted. Many of us, due to this feature, moves the speakers all over, trying to find the perfect place to listen music, and the surprise is that all the positions are great and difficult to say this is not the one that I would like...then we start again the search for a new one. As an example, me, I have three different positions of my CLSIIz for different kind of music that I liked most. When I am going to listen solo instruments or vocals, are the one that must of us uses...one third of the panel facing you, little tilted to theirs back. For combo and jazz music, I open them a little more, about two or three inches, this means less panel facing you and for big orchestra or rock or playing loud, I use another two to three inches more open, in this position, they are almost in parallel to the back wall, just about one inch to inside...as you know, this is my liking and not necessary yours!...I have had marked the positions with masking tape, and this is problem with the wife...she has a very good left hook... :D :D
Truly, it is better to listen the music than hear transparency, mids, highs, bass, etc...I know that I have an advantage of must of you, because I did played and studied for 14 years classical guitar. This allow me and teached my ears for good, how this fine instrument sings...if I don´t get the left hand, in other words, understand the fingering what the musician(s) is doing, they are in trouble with me. My advise to all of you, if you don´t mind to move them a little bit, is to choose a certain position for different kind of music...perhaps this will make you have all the joy that I have with ML sound!!!....happy listening my friend,
Roberto.

As always, a great post! :cool: How brave to share with us your misfortunate accident. Listening to ML reproduce the instruments is the next best thing to playing!

garmtz said:
As always, a great post! :cool: How brave to share with us your misfortunate accident. Listening to ML reproduce the instruments is the next best thing to playing!
Yes Garmtz, and gives the same pleasure and joy like being playing...same thing, thanks God. And also, make us to be like there...in our own room...something that only ML provides...the musician next to you. Also I have to be honest...I was not that good playing, because with the classical guitar lessons, I was always the last to present it to the teacher, in other words, had to work more than the others...didn´t mind that, but had to work harder. My dad always said, :( Roberto, you play nice and good, but must have another way to make a living, :cool: then I studied electronics next to my guitar. I listen all kind of music, but my favorite taste is classical and jazz. Here, my CLS are unmatch, and the only rival that they have is another ML :D ...
Happy listening my friends...
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Garmtz...Gee, thanks for your kind words...I think could be because I have the ML bug in my heart!...Roberto.

Hey, Roberto. Thanks for your great post. I haven't been in this forum long, but I've learnt to look forward to your posts.

Edwin.

Back