New ML Owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alzee

I have a brand new pair of Clarity's and a Vignette. I am running everything off of a Dennon 4802R receiver. I will upgrade to a real center channel(cinema i), However, do you think my reciever can power everything at 125 watts per channel. I will also use the Vignette(s) as background or surround speakers. Maybe , I might go with some scripts. In any case, I love the claritys can not wait till they are broken in. :) :)

In a word

Alzee said:
However, do you think my reciever can power everything at 125 watts per channel.

No. Receivers never provide their rated power into anything. Add to this the fact that you're driving electrostats with it, and the receiver becomes the weak link in your audio chain. Ideally, you should be driving the MLs with a dedicated power amplifier.

There are plenty of options that you can use, but the main items to consider are:

Add a 2-channel power amp to drive the claritys, and leave the receiver driving the centre. You'll need to fiddle with gain control here.

Add a 3-channel power amp to drive all 3 speakers - the better option if you plan to add an electrostatic centre as well.

If you think that the system sounds good now, try a highly capable power amplifier, and you won't believe how much better it sounds!

Cheers,

David

DavidG said:
No. Receivers never provide their rated power into anything. Add to this the fact that you're driving electrostats with it, and the receiver becomes the weak link in your audio chain. Ideally, you should be driving the MLs with a dedicated power amplifier.

There are plenty of options that you can use, but the main items to consider are:

Add a 2-channel power amp to drive the claritys, and leave the receiver driving the centre. You'll need to fiddle with gain control here.

Add a 3-channel power amp to drive all 3 speakers - the better option if you plan to add an electrostatic centre as well.

If you think that the system sounds good now, try a highly capable power amplifier, and you won't believe how much better it sounds!

Cheers,

David

Agreed, but at the same time, I ran my Aeon's and Cinema off a Denon 4802 for a long time and it sounded fine. Obviously major improvements when I upgraded to seperates, but the Denon does a decent job of it as far as recievers go.

-D

Any amp's come to mine under $1000

Thank you David for your input. Everything that you said is logical. Any suggestions on good amp's? I currently have an Onkyo amp and pre amp setup driving my in wall speakers throughout the house hooked up to a niles speaker selector.

Now I am really confused

Wow I have some learning to do here. Honestly, I don't know what amp to get to drive my Clarity's. There is so much to choose from. I do have an Onkyo 501 amp that pushes about 150watts per channel. However, am I cheating here? Can I get a good quality amp for under $1000. Help!

Welcome!

Alzee said:
Wow I have some learning to do here. Honestly, I don't know what amp to get to drive my Clarity's. There is so much to choose from. I do have an Onkyo 501 amp that pushes about 150watts per channel. However, am I cheating here? Can I get a good quality amp for under $1000. Help!

HEY ALZEE! :D

Welcome to this fun place! Take your time and listen to everything you can home audition. Let your ears make the decision. If your like me, the longer you take, the more you can afford to spend. I would also look at the used market on audiogon.com. I watch stuff on eBay but the prices seem for the most part, to be way higher than audiogon's. You can run into some good deals on used equipment out there. You could get an amp that retailed for a few thousand for a thousand bucks easy. Don't limit yourself and don't rush it and have fun doing it!

Mark :cool:

Alzee said:
Can I get a good quality amp for under $1000. Help!
Definitely! I just went on A'gon to take a peek and saw that there are lots of good contenders for $1k price range. Classe', Threshold, AVA, Bryston, just to name a few. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Good Luck.

Alzee said:

Oh yes, you just have to buy used. I'd suggest three brands that will all make Claritys sing:

Bel Canto
Musical Fidelity
Meridian

I currently run a Meridian 557 power amp, although I'm thinking of swapping it for a Bel Canto eVo 2. The 200.2 mentioned in this thread is also a great amp.

Get down to your friendly dealer, arrange some home auditions (it's important to audition at home with your own room and system), then go with the sound that you like best.

Cheers,

David

Also see if you can check out some LINN amps. They happen to be one of my personal favorites, although don't seem to be too popular 'round this neck o the woods.

-D

Hi, Iam also a new owner of a set of Clarity speakers. I would like some help with the rest of my system. I have a NAD 773 and would like to pick the best sub (Grotto or Depth) and center (Logos or Fresco) or what ever you suggest. I can wall mount the center if needed. I will probably use Frescos for the rear due to space restrictions. Any advice wolud be greatly appreciated.

MLfan,
Congrats on the new Clarity's. The only thing I can offer is that given the choice between the Grotto and the Depth, I would choose the Depth. There is a difference in money so that too may be a deciding factor. I run a Depth with a pair of CLSiiZ's and they are amazing. To my ears, even in HT, the Depth works well.

Let us know what you decided
Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

MLfan welcome, I have had my clairty for about a year and just ordered my upgrade I am hooked on ML. That said IMO I do not like their subs. I started with the Grotto then moved up from there and sold both. IMO the do have the bang for the buck. I am a big SVS fan. People who have tried them are as loyal as ML owners. IMO one of the best subs for the $$$. I justed added my second. Give them a ring they are also a great help and they know subs that is all they do. They are very honest will talk you in to a lower price if that fits your room better. And they stand 100% behind what they build. I have not heard from anyone not happy. I am sure they are out there but far and in between.

Thank-you for your advice. Any suggestions on the center choice?
I will check out the other subs. It is nice to get input from peopel that have been there. Thanks again.

Back