new ML owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.N.

Reaction score
hi guys. just purchased a s/h pair of aerius i to put together a second system. at the moment the front end is a meridian 206b cd but i am in a quandry as to what amplification i am going to use.

do the aerius's benefit from a more powerful amp? and does the sound become more open with more power?
your thoughts much appreciated.
thanks,
A.N.

Your Meridian player has a relatively laid back sound - we still have a 208 that gets an occasional outing. I think for a second system I would be looking integrated and secondhand. Go for as much current delivery that you can get for your budget Krell, Plinius, Bryston etc. ML's typically respond to power.

I'm sure some of the Aerius owners will have other suggestions.

Kevin

Do ML Aerius i's benefit from a more powerful amplifier...

A.N. said:
hi guys. just purchased a s/h pair of aerius i to put together a second system. at the moment the front end is a meridian 206b cd but i am in a quandry as to what amplification i am going to use.

do the aerius's benefit from a more powerful amp? and does the sound become more open with more power?
your thoughts much appreciated.
thanks,
A.N.

A.N.,

Yeah baby!!! :D :D IMHO, all ML electrostatic pannels love an amplifier with plenty of, "peak to peak current" and/or "peak to peak ampheres". The reason is ML electrostatic pannel, can and do, depending on the music or dynamics of the DVD effects soundtrack, dip down in ohms to, 1 ohms or less. IMHO, I perfer powerful Class "A" type amplifiers for my ears, Anthem's Statement P5, was the amp. I chose, after auditioning several amp.'s in my own HT (which I highly recommend- Thanx to Dan). I do plan to add tubes to the path someday, visa vee a tubed preamp. I would recommend (in addition to Anthem P5), Cary Audio's Cinema X, Sim Audio's Moon Aurora. for processor I would recommend the Anthem D1 processor. Ultimately, It is up to your own tastes though, and as the, "Audio God", Roberto says, "Trust your ears." :D

Enjoy your audio quest for the sound of your hearts desire... :D

And by-the-way, Welcome to the ML Club! It's good to have you here...

Cheers

-Robin

thanks, i have the chance to buy a pair of linn lk280 power amps (to biamp the ml`s).
these have a wattage of 2 x 80 watt into 8ohm, 2x 160 watt 4 ohm and 2 x 320 watt 2 ohm with a current delivery of 100 amps.(each time the power doubling with impedence halving)
will these suffice?

A.N. said:
thanks, i have the chance to buy a pair of linn lk280 power amps (to biamp the ml`s).
these have a wattage of 2 x 80 watt into 8ohm, 2x 160 watt 4 ohm and 2 x 320 watt 2 ohm with a current delivery of 100 amps.(each time the power doubling with impedence halving)
will these suffice?
Hola A.N.welcome to the club...well, it is my liking, please note my liking, that I prefer quality than quantity. The first wattage of the amplifiers are the ones that tells you the quality of the amp. Only when you are going to play loud is when you are going to need the power. For only 3 dBs of gain, you need the double of the power...I'm not saying that the Linn is not enough, what I'm saying is first: trust your ears!, second: choose the one that you like most. The behaviour of any ML panel at high frequencies, the impedance drops like a brick, so it is not easy to drive them. There are good power amps out there that can handle this without a problem. When you have a power amp that could not work with this kind of product, you can listen very easy the lack of highs. On the other hand, Tube amps have more laid back highs than SS, and to my liking, they are more 3D, but again it is my liking. Try to listen first with your Aerius i, and also try to use recordings with not to many musical instruments. It is easier to detect flaws this way...your Aerius i are a wonderful speakers and they will give tons of enjoyment...happy listening,
Roberto.

the lk280 are notoriously powerful and arguably one of the best linn amps made (think driving linn isobariks, theres not many amplifiers out there that can drive these properly,as they drop down to 1 ohm regulary ,apart from one of which is the lk280) and they do sound superb in the midrange and treble,and especially in the bass too, with great Pace rythm and timing added in as a bonus.
i`ll give these a try in passive biamp mode as there are 2 available.i`ll let you know.
thanks.

A.N. said:
the lk280 are notoriously powerful and arguably one of the best linn amps made (think driving linn isobariks, theres not many amplifiers out there that can drive these properly,as they drop down to 1 ohm regulary ,apart from one of which is the lk280) and they do sound superb in the midrange and treble,and especially in the bass too, with great Pace rythm and timing added in as a bonus.
i`ll give these a try in passive biamp mode as there are 2 available.i`ll let you know.
thanks.
Welcome again...and good to know that you liked the Linn power amps.. Linn :D is one of the good high-end brands out there!...happy listening, and trust your ears, not in specs!
Cheers,
Roberto.

Excellent...

A.N. said:
will these suffice?

A.N.,

Yes, that is great..., and, IMHO, is a good first step... :D The Linn amp. should give you enough juice to power and open up the sound. However, having said that, IMHO, the next step is: How will the Linn amp. sound in your home on your system and in your room? But, more importantly how will it sound to your ears? You might not like the sound of the Linn amp., but then again, you may love how it sounds with your Aerius i's... Personally, I have never had the opportunity to audition the Linn amplifiers, but I have read some outstanding reviews regarding Linn amps. I am just suggesting something, which has worked well for me, and has really made a positive impact, in my limited audio experiance... :D

What ever you decide enjoy the process, that what it's all about... :D

Cheers

-Robin

i think i will try them with the linns, passivly biamped.

currently, i hooked them up to my naim amps (pre/power/power supply) and a linn sondek lp12. the naims are putting out only 35 wpc, and even before i hooked the aerius up, i knew they didnt have the sufficiant wattage/current swing to drive them. they actually dont sound that bad, but the ml's sounded very dark and the mid was shut in. i just had to hook them up tho, just to satisfy my curiosity :D :D

is this a common trait with the ml statics? low ampage and wattage on amps making the ml's sound dark and shut in.

*the aerius i's are in immaculate condition, no marks on the panels, not even a spec of dust ANYWHERE, so definately dont need any attention re cleaning and servicing/new panels etc...

forgot to add, the speaker cables are audioquest crystal bi-wire, 2x 4.5m runs.

thanks again guys, what a great bunch you lot are :) ;)

Last edited:
well, tried these with the linns and JESUS KERIST!!!!!!!!!

THEY SOUND ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON. :D :D :D

as i thought, needed more control.

Good - expected result. Next trick is to turn the volume down and check resolution at low volume. Should be great/best you may have heard.

After that silver interconnects to get every bit of highend detail you can - the Meridian is relatively soft there. Tone control stuff but may work well in your system.

Welcome to the world of electrostatics. You may never go back.

Kevin

A.N. said:
well, tried these with the linns and JESUS KERIST!!!!!!!!!

THEY SOUND ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON. :D :D :D

as i thought, needed more control.
Hola...good to know that the Linns are the ones...I also have my LP-12, and besides it has some time, still one of the best turtables around. When you play your system at low level, the detail and the resolution is breath taking...you can sense every musicians at the stage and a lot of "air" between the instruments. Also tilt them a little bit on their´s back, using their feet. Listen carefully the change in sound using differents I.C. and speaker cable. Silver is more bright, and cooper is great for bass...sometimes using both, you can get a very nice "timbre" and awesome feeling from the musicians!...you don´t hear the music, what you get is them playing for you at your own room! This is what drive us nuts with ML sound. For the money what you pay, it is very difficult to get other speakers doing the same thing. Of course they are not perfect, but they are getting closer to the real thing...right? Go to the tweak section and read the way that Mr. Jim Power use for the right angle of toe in...if you toe in them about 1/3 of the stat panel facing you, usually the sense in 3D is outstanding.
Happy listening,
Roberto.

and here she is :-

ml003.jpg

What do you have under the speakers?

You should post this in the "Members System" section whenb you get a chance.

:)

Your system looks cool...

kach22i said:
What do you have under the speakers?

You should post this in the "Members System" section whenb you get a chance.

:)
A.D.,

Your set-up looks great... :D

I agree with George, I think you should post your system, under our ML Club - member systems.

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
i have posted this in the members systems, just waiting it to be approved :D

the platforms that are under the speakers are mission cyrus isoplats. (usually used for cd players etc)
they have really tightened up the bass, especially since the speakers were on a floating laminate floor.

cheers for the nice comments, v much appreciated

A.N.

Back