New ML Owner and Loving It

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstpeter

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently bought a pair of the discontinued Aeon i's for a great closeout price. So far, I absolutely love them. I'm re-listening to every album I own and continue to be amazed at what these speakers can do.

The rest of my system is as follows: Sapphire Audio center and surround speakers speakers (for home theater duty), a Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Denon 3806 (pre/pro), Rotel RB991 2-channel amp, Pioneer DV-563A (as transport), Pro-Ject Xpression TT, and Audioquest Copperhead IC's. I'll post pictures soon.

Two questions for you veteran ML owners:

• What bass management settings should I use? I currently let my Denon's auto setup handle it, with speakers set to large and a crossover of 80hz. Is there a better option for 2-channel music?

• What should be my next upgrade? Do you see a particular component that is limiting the potential of my ML's?
Thank you for any input. It's great to be part of the club!

cstpeter said:
Hello everyone. I recently bought a pair of the discontinued Aeon i's for a great closeout price. So far, I absolutely love them. I'm re-listening to every album I own and continue to be amazed at what these speakers can do.

The rest of my system is as follows: Sapphire Audio center and surround speakers speakers (for home theater duty), a Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Denon 3806 (pre/pro), Rotel RB991 2-channel amp, Pioneer DV-563A (as transport), Pro-Ject Xpression TT, and Audioquest Copperhead IC's. I'll post pictures soon.

Two questions for you veteran ML owners:

• What bass management settings should I use? I currently let my Denon's auto setup handle it, with speakers set to large and a crossover of 80hz. Is there a better option for 2-channel music?

• What should be my next upgrade? Do you see a particular component that is limiting the potential of my ML's?
Thank you for any input. It's great to be part of the club!

Hola and welcome to the club. The bass setting that you are using now in your Denon is correct. 80 Hz is just fine with your new Aerius i. These are wonderful sounding speakers, try to listen to them in stereo mode, and you will be very happy with how they perform. Great with the size of the instruments and the female voices are so natural, and also the scenario is great too. Try to put them at least 2 to 3 feet away of their's back wall. Tilt them toe-in at least 1/3 of the panel facing you. With this array, it is the most common set up, but experiment in your room and listening is a must. Your Rotel amp will do a fine job. You will find here, that there are a lot of different liking and opinions regarding the gear in electronics to be used with ML. Trust your ears and keep what you like most. I like tube sound with the panels and SS with the woofers. Again, welcome and happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Aeon System...

cstpeter,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I agree whole heartedly with what Roberto said, but I would also add for bass adjustments you have to play with sub-placement and HT room acqustics. Most folks biggest piece of audio equipment is the HT room it self. I'm not familiar with ML's Dynamo what kind of bass adjustments does it have? Level, phase, 50 -25Hz and cross over adjustments? I would recommend the SMS-1, for Bass management, even though I do not own one myself. Personnally, for now, I'm using the room equalizer of my Pioneer 59TXi, but I know the SMS-1 is vastly superior, judging by what I've read and psoted here.

As for up-grading your gear, it just depends on what you want to ear from the music? What do you want your system to be able to do audio/ acqustically speaking when you listen? For example, I listened to some tubed equipment (amps and SACD/CD player) the other day from McIntosh that was extremely moving to me and my ears. The experience just opened my ears up to whole new sound and possibilities... :) Let me ask you this... Movies vs. Music -What percentage do you listen - HT (Movies) vs. Music (Vinyl/SACD/CD's)? I listen to, 70% HT (Movies) and 30% Music (SACD/CD's).

You have an awesome system. ;)

It's good to have you here. :D

I am still playing with placement and will be sure to adjust the system consistent with your recommendations.
For the last few months I have been listening to 80% music--thus the upgrade to ML's for 2-channel listening. From checking out this forum it would appear tube gear and ML's are a great match (maybe tubes are a great match with anything).

Thanks for the input so far!

P.S. I used to have Polk LSi9's and would hang around the Polk Forum (a great forum, by the way). Another former Polk owner, Joey V, made me aware of this forum. Looks like a knowledgeable crowd--I'm eager to learn from everyone!

I'd also try without bass management - just run the Aeons full range and adjust the sub to blend in. The Aeons can handle their bass so there is little reason to hold it off! Less processing [MAY] = better sound.

As with all ESLs, amplification is always important - maybe something with valves? - but you will have to listen and decide for yourself - maybe you can keep the Rotel on the woofers and put valves on the panels? There are so many options - but for now, just listen and enjoy your music - that is the most important thing. Oh, and getting your postitioning right!

Welcome to the club.

So this is where it all began for Chris... well well well. I forgot about the Polk connection we had before this ML connection we have now.

Glad to have met you in person!!! :D

Amps for MLs

Welcome

Do try and listen to some of the digital amplification out there too - some of which really does seem to offer 90% of the benefits of valves with none of the drawbacks (and a lot nicer than analogue S/S amps I've heard).
I use Lyngdorf (TACT) and it's a match made in heaven for my Prodigies.

Now, what would they sound like bi-amped ???

Latest posts

Back