MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Born in 1949 & raised in Western Mass. but moved to Vancouver BC Canada, in 1977. So glad I did. Recently retired after 50 years in the addictions rehab field. My music appreciation experience began in 1948. My mom and her mom (my French Memiere) used to go to band concerts at Szot Park in Chicopee Mass. That's right...my first musical journey started in utero! Just like my attendance @ Boston Red Sox games! Got my first basic system in 1968; an HH Scott receiver, a Garrard turntable, and a pair of Advent speakers. Have come a long way since then.
I just bought a pair of ML ESL speakers. I've had so many speakers over the years, but my favorites were the ML Motion 40's. I'd like to be able to power my "new" (to me) ESL's with a good tube amp. But, I can't spend more than about $750, for such an amp. Does anyone have experience with the tube amps from China Hi-Fi, like the Boyuurange MT 34? Or any other affordable tube amps? Are tube amps with the ESL's really that much better than solid state? Sometimes, at higher volume, I find the ESL's to be a bit too bright. I'm using a 60 watt (8ohms) Harmon Kardon with them now. Thanks. Alan in British Columbia.

Last edited:
Oh...how do I post a picture over my name, and does it have to be of me? Alan the Pods...

Attachments

• bitches 2.jpg
    bitches 2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
Born in 1949 & raised in Western Mass. but moved to Vancouver BC Canada, in 1977. So glad I did. Recently retired after 50 years in the addictions rehab field. My music appreciation experience began in 1948. My mom and her mom (my French Memiere) used to go to band concerts at Szot Park in Chicopee Mass. That's right...my first musical journey started in utero! Just like my attendance @ Boston Red Sox games! Got my first basic system in 1968; an HH Scott receiver, a Garrard turntable, and a pair of Advent speakers. Have come a long way since then.
I just bought a pair of ML ESL speakers. I've had so many speakers over the years, but my favorites were the ML Motion 40's. I'd like to be able to power my "new" (to me) ESL's with a good tube amp. But, I can't spend more than about $750, for such an amp. Does anyone have experience with the tube amps from China Hi-Fi, like the Boyuurange MT 34? Or any other affordable tube amps? Are tube amps with the ESL's really that much better than solid state? Sometimes, at higher volume, I find the ESL's to be a bit too bright. I'm using a 60 watt (8ohms) Harmon Kardon with them now. Thanks. Alan in British Columbia.
I've been a ML listener/lover/owner since the late 80s. I also fell in love with the VTL (tubed amp) back then because of the openess and transparent soundstage tubes normally present. Until I listened to my first electrostat - a pair of Magnapans, then a Martin Logan. "To my ears" - the natural openess, huge soundstage and transparency the stats present was too much when driven with tubes. Too bright, too airy, too open, kinda sloppy... "For me!". So for me, I've always loved my MLs driven with a decent to great solid state amp for a phenomenal balance. Just remember, at the end of the day it ONLY matters how it sounds to your ears and wallet. 😉

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

I trail you by about 20 years, and still hope to retire in the Vancouver area (on the island, actually). While I (sorta) get the allure of tube amps, I'm also a bit of a pragmatist - for your first ML set up, I'd recommend going with some straight-forward, easy to maintain, no-nonsense "non-coloring" driving equipment. There's a great Canadian amp company (Bryston) that has been producing terrific gear for decades. You can try their stuff on the second hand market (anything from before 2007 (I think) has a transferable 20 year (no typo... TWENTY year) warranty. Newer stuff still has a 20 yr warranty for original owners. Other great (and not stratospherically-priced) amp options include Anthem (owned by the same umbrella organization as ML (Paradigm), etc.

Also, probably some good reading on here about care/maintenance for the ML speakers that live close to the ocean (covers, vacuuming, etc.).

All the best with your retirement and hifi slections!

Russ

Alan,
I'm jealous. My wife and I fell in love with Vancouver years ago but family issues won't allow us to leave Connecticut yet. I have started trolling real estate prices though. YIKES!
Welcome aboard. I'm mostly a lurker but I hope someone will be able to help you out with your amp question as there are a lot of great members here.
Kevin

Alan,
I'm jealous. My wife and I fell in love with Vancouver years ago but family issues won't allow us to leave Connecticut yet. I have started trolling real estate prices though. YIKES!
Welcome aboard. I'm mostly a lurker but I hope someone will be able to help you out with your amp question as there are a lot of great members here.
Kevin
The prices aren't as bad, once you get more than 30-40miles out of Vancouver. Other nice parts of the province are a lot less expensive.

Sunfire amps are great match for Martin Logan Stats, you shouldn't have problem finding used one at your budget. And there is a service/repair facility south of BC across boarder in Stevenson, Washington.

Hello and welcome. By chance can you share a pic or two of your system?

Latest posts

Back