MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome

Lots of great info around here. Feel free to share your setup, it's always interesting to see other people's stuff.

Someone recommended I should get a tube Amp. Checked those but they are listed as around 3 watt per channel. Does it make sense?

Someone recommended I should get a tube Amp. Checked those but they are listed as around 3 watt per channel. Does it make sense?
No, tube amps can work very well with electrostatics but I'd be looking at something with at least 50W or so. What model of speakers do you have? Some more information would help us point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum, Ikehgl. By chance, can you share a pic or two of your system?

Thanks. I'm wondering if other members have used tube amps with the ESL's, and what was the output power in watts please. As the ESL's are a 6 ohm load, what does your tube amp put out @ 6 ohms?
Many thanks. Alan

Bob Latino M-125 mono tube amps (www.tubes4hifi.com), 125 Watts each in UL mode or 65 Watts in Triode mode which is the mode I preferred, with Expressions rated optimistically at 4Ω and dip to 0.7Ω at high frequency. At 11kHz the frequency is -4dB vs the level at 7kHz.

Even with this decrease in output at upper frequencies, the soundstage is glorious!

I bought AntiCables ZERO Autoformers to help match the impedance better with the tube amps' 4Ω output. This greatly flattened the frequency response and brought back the sparkle that was missing, and, the amps ran cooler as a result. Win, win.

I used these amps for 3 years, then went back to solid state and now have a Krell Duo 300 XD which has a great soundstage, however the tube amps are still better at this. But the Krell is just better in all other respects, except for cost.

I purchased Theos speakers and am looking now for a used integrated Amp. My budget is up to $1000
The Theos are rated at 4 ohms but are compatible also with 6 or 8 ohms.
Does it mean that any amplifier with one of these ohms is equally good?
And how many watts per channel should I get? Is there a minimum wattage below which I shouldn't ger?
Will be glad to get recommendations
I'm in a 220V 50 Hz area.

I purchased Theos speakers and am looking now for a used integrated Amp. My budget is up to $1000
The Theos are rated at 4 ohms but are compatible also with 6 or 8 ohms.
Does it mean that any amplifier with one of these ohms is equally good?
And how many watts per channel should I get? Is there a minimum wattage below which I shouldn't ger?
Will be glad to get recommendations
I'm in a 220V 50 Hz area.
Replied in the other (way old) thread you posted your question on.
https://www.martinloganowners.com/threads/new-electromotion-compared-to-theos.12216/#post-206263

Back