New member without ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantodea

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm Cantodea (nickname of course). Lives in Belgium, Flanders. Belgium is a country and not a city ;). Anyway, I have a lovely wife and married for over 28 years. I have two adult kids. My wife and I are both working for SAPA, which is a worldwide manufacturer of extruded profiles (construction build and transport, are the main) and welded tubes in aluminium.

My hobby's are, listening to music, playing tennis and jogging. Few times a year we take time for traveling. It is the music thing I'm here for of course. As for now, I have no ML speakers, but I'm planning to buy them in the next 16 months (still have to save for them) Main problem here in Belgium, is the lacking of a dealer network. There is to my knowledge no dealer. I know however, that there are users of Martin Logan in Flanders. I hope that I can make contact via this forum and maybe so I can go and listen to a pair.

I do know the sound of electrostatic speakers. I've heard them a few years a go on a fair. It were Finals, but the brand went broke. I remember they were very special, the sound is still captured inside my brain :D

My current setup is:

Primare I22 amplifier
Quadral M4 speakers
Modificated Thorens TD 160 MKII with AT 150SA cartridge
Lehman Black Cube phono pre-amp
Bluesound Node 2
Roon Audio software
AudioQuest cables (nothing fancy)

My goals for the next 24 months:

Martin Logan speakers (with extra sub?)
Primare power amplifier

So I hope you guys and girls can help me in my search.
See u,
Cantodea

Oh, and sorry for the English, as it is not my native language.

Welcome, your English is great, better than most that live over here I suspect !

As for your pending M/L purchase tell as a little more about your listening environment, room size, etc.

Welcome, your English is great, better than most that live over here I suspect !

As for your pending M/L purchase tell as a little more about your listening environment, room size, etc.

Hello,

About my room, in fact it is our living room. It is L-shaped and it's about 485 square feet (45 square meters). Speakers are 3 feet from the front wall and about 7 feet apart. Listening position is 9 feet from the speakers. This is not ideal, but is due to WAF ;-). Anyway, with some help from dsp (Dirac for music and minidsp for TV set ) it all sounds excellent to me. Stereo image is wide, deep and sharp. Bass is deep and fast. Highs can sound a little bright and sharp, but this is the speaker itself, my previous speakers were better in that part (ribbon tweeter). I listen to Pop-Rock, Folk, Jazz, 70 and 80's Electronic, Classical (more and more), mostly around 80 to 85 dB. I like a good deep bass, but more importend, it has to be clean and quick. When playing loud, I like to feel drums and bass. Detail, like in voices and instruments, is very important. As for ESL I have the Electromotion in mind, maybe with a good subwoofer. The other ESL's from Martin Logan maybe to big, not for me, but for my better half!

P6270005.jpg

P6270002.jpg

P6270004.jpg

Attachments

• P6270003.jpg
    P6270003.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Welcome Cantodea. Those are some good-looking speakers. Take your better-half to the dealer and convince her on buying the Theos instead. They are not much bigger than Electromotions. You will be glad you did so.

Hola Cantodea. Welcome! Martin Logan has a lot of models, some are discontinued, as the Theos, but you can read about them here: https://www.martinlogan.com/theos/index.php

There is a model that here in Costa Rica is liking a lot: https://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-esl-x.php This model offers biwired config, and also two 8" woofers. The panel is about the same as the Theos, but they are only available in black color.

https://www.martinlogan.com/classic-esl-9/index.php This model is replacing the Theos. And the config is about the same as the Electromotions X. Two 8" woofers. This also uses aluminum woofers, not paper cones. Its an improved model over the Electromotions ELS X. Also, has a lot of possibility in aesthetic design.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Try to look for closeout deals on Theos. I have them and they are fantastic. If that is not possible, as Roberto has indicated, go with a pair of ESL X.

Good idea, however chances are very low in Belgium and The Netherlands (lack of dealers and interest in electrostatic speakers). The Classic ESL-9 will be to expensive (for my beloved wife) so Electromotion (X?) is the way to go. Other problem is, where to listen? There are a few shops in Belgium. I contacted them and they don't have the electromotion (X). They are not willing to order a pair just for a demo..

Good idea, however chances are very low in Belgium and The Netherlands (lack of dealers and interest in electrostatic speakers). The Classic ESL-9 will be to expensive (for my beloved wife) so Electromotion (X?) is the way to go. Other problem is, where to listen? There are a few shops in Belgium. I contacted them and they don't have the electromotion (X). They are not willing to order a pair just for a demo..

Perhaps, a little trip to France or Germany is in order for you to go and demo the X.

Latest posts

Back