New Member with Monolith ii, Infrasub-12 pro, Rogers EHF-100, Bluesound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufrct

Reaction score
Hi, Ive had this set up for about 8 years and love it! My 16yo son blew out one of the woofers on the monolith so I signed on to figure out if there is an upgrade or what woofer is best to replace it with (I will replace both).

Im lucky that im really the only one in my family that uses our setup for listening to music. Sounds like your son turned it up to 11?

We have several members that post on here a lot that own Monoliths. You should get a good idea of what to use.

Welcome, are your monolith crossovers active or passive? The active ones used a seperate box.
Thanks for having me. Attached are pics. I’m not very knowledgeable about audio except that I have owned monoliths since they came out (my stepfather won them at a random event and gave them to me when I was about 18!) So back in the day I ran them with Haflers, Carver other random amps until I bought a used Rogers and have been very happy. Anyway I think they are passive but I don’t even understand the difference.

Attachments

• F8AB7685-1C98-4A46-B792-7F1DB410E307.jpeg
    F8AB7685-1C98-4A46-B792-7F1DB410E307.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 99F7A615-A7BA-4C24-BEE2-4CDFC9ACC611.jpeg
    99F7A615-A7BA-4C24-BEE2-4CDFC9ACC611.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F7162EB1-7F69-4E07-9DD7-73A95BFADD79.jpeg
    F7162EB1-7F69-4E07-9DD7-73A95BFADD79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0E7314D0-EB4C-4803-92AF-0894B00DE089.jpeg
    0E7314D0-EB4C-4803-92AF-0894B00DE089.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
This is what ML customer service said……Brian was great 👍

Hello David,

From what we can tell, these are Monoliths made sometime in 1984-85

The panels were made in December 2000

We really don't have service instructions for anything on this model. I will attach what we have just so you have it for reference and it may be nice to have these in case you don't...

Here is a link to an aftermarket woofer that has similar specs and will work well.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DCS305-4-12-Classic-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-204?quantity=1

You may also be able to find info on reconditioning, replacing woofers, etc on this unofficial fan forum for ML:

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Let us know if you have any questions.

The foam surround looks good.
So the part that your son blew out is probably the voice coil.
There are individuals and small companies th5at do this repair which will probably be equal in cost after shipping to buying new woofers fromParts Express.
So it’s a matter of do you want to keep the speakers original or do you want a quick simple easy replacement.
There is no wrong answer.

As someone who wound up ditching the original ML woofers on my Monolith III's after 14 years of operation, I think your best option is to replace both of them with model recommended by ML.

Your Monolith II has a passive XO built-in, but there are options for how to use it with bi-amplification, and maybe even external active. Do a search on this site.

You might find this useful to know if some of the recommendations apply or not: Monolith series - differences and resources

Thank you. I think I’ll just replace them. Thanks for the input 👍

Welcome Rufrct, glad you found us.
There are many here that would like to hear more about your system. I have not looked to see if you posted your system yet.

Holy crap, being given Monolith II at 18. Thanks Dad. Guessing he wasn't into music?

Welcome Rufrct, glad you found us.
There are many here that would like to hear more about your system. I have not looked to see if you posted your system yet.

Holy crap, being given Monolith II at 18. Thanks Dad. Guessing he wasn't into music?
Actually the full story is that he won a gold Revox (I think can’t remember) aa a prize at some event and didn’t even own a stereo so he just gave it to me. I took it to the audio dealer in Brooklyn and told them I wanted to trade it for speakers. Apparently it was worth a lot of money because they brought me into the CRAZY speaker room and told me to pick anything I wanted…..lol. It was between the Monoliths and those massive Polk speakers. But I chose the monoliths and have been very happy. I think they sound best with tube amp and a sub….

Hey, I'm curious about what you end up doing with your ML. It would be great if you could give us updates. I wish I had such kind of audio equipment.

Latest posts

Back