New Member Question regarding black dots

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rik_Rankin

I have a pair of sl3s. I noticed that there are little black spots on the panel that you see right in the center of each perforation. You have to really look to see it and I assume it's from the panel attracting dirt from the air. These were bought new in 2000. I tried to vaccuum the panels which helped make them sound even better. Is this anything to be concerned about? Should I just leave it alone?

Rik_Rankin said:
I have a pair of sl3s. I noticed that there are little black spots on the panel that you see right in the center of each perforation. You have to really look to see it and I assume it's from the panel attracting dirt from the air. These were bought new in 2000. I tried to vaccuum the panels which helped make them sound even better. Is this anything to be concerned about? Should I just leave it alone?
Hola and welcome...perhaps with the aid of a 3" paint brush you could scrub the dots. If you do it carefully, wont harm the plastic. If you don´t mind the look, leave it as it is now. [B]Don´t apply any cleaning liquid or solvent! you could wash out the conductivity coat[/B]!. If you want to do the washing process, only warm watter and you have to leavethe panel aside about two days, until it l is dry. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

Rik,

Those spots do indeed form over time from dust and other airborne pollutants bonding to the Mylar. They seem to get worse when the panels are driven really hard.

I have 13 year old Sequel (same size as SL3s) panels that have the same spots, but they still sound pretty good. They are due for a panel refresh, but since they are my rear speakers, not so critical.
Vacuuming improves the situation, but will not totally get rid of the spots.

I just obtained SL3 panels (for my little center speaker project) and the replacement panels are substantially better than the ones on the speakers I got.
The new panels also feature ClearSpar (transparent spars) and are much prettier than the old gen. And they sound much, much better.

I’d recommend just forking out the $550 and get a pair of replacement panels and enjoying much improved sound and visuals. If your SL3’s are ten years or older, this a great upgrade.

JonFo said:
Rik,

Those spots do indeed form over time from dust and other airborne pollutants bonding to the Mylar. They seem to get worse when the panels are driven really hard.

I have 13 year old Sequel (same size as SL3s) panels that have the same spots, but they still sound pretty good. They are due for a panel refresh, but since they are my rear speakers, not so critical.
Vacuuming improves the situation, but will not totally get rid of the spots.

I just obtained SL3 panels (for my little center speaker project) and the replacement panels are substantially better than the ones on the speakers I got.
The new panels also feature ClearSpar (transparent spars) and are much prettier than the old gen. And they sound much, much better.

I’d recommend just forking out the $550 and get a pair of replacement panels and enjoying much improved sound and visuals. If your SL3’s are ten years or older, this a great upgrade.
mY SPEAKERS WERE BOUGHT NEW IN 2000 AND STILL SOUND GREAT> they were stored in their original packing unused for 3 years, so they only have 3 years of use. Do they still need new panels? The little spots are hard to see and don't bother me, really. Is this the same as a speaker that's only 3 years old as far as the panels are concerned?

Rik_Rankin said:
mY SPEAKERS WERE BOUGHT NEW IN 2000 AND STILL SOUND GREAT> they were stored in their original packing unused for 3 years, so they only have 3 years of use. Do they still need new panels? The little spots are hard to see and don't bother me, really. Is this the same as a speaker that's only 3 years old as far as the panels are concerned?
do you smoke?...this could be tar from the cigarrette...
Roberto.

roberto said:
do you smoke?...this could be tar from the cigarrette...
Roberto.
Absolutely not! And the speakers have not been anyplace near cooking. Again, let me emphasize, it is something you have to look for; it's just a little black spot in the center of each perforation. Do other people here have that too? If the speakers were in airconditioned storage in their original packaging for 3 years, is it the same as the speakers only being 3 years old as far as the panel life is concerned?

I have these black spots on my speakers as well. My speakers still sound great and are now 5 years old. Just Vacuum the panels from time to time and maybe wash it too. I would not buy new panels in 3 years time. Panels should last 10 to 15 years if well maintained.

Regards

Cherian

I've got that black spots as well on my 5 years old Ascent panels. I vacuum them on regular basis, everything is fine at the moment, and the speakers sound great.

Rik_Rankin said:
it's just a little black spot in the center of each perforation. Do other people here have that too?
The speakers attract dust when used, so everyone gets them. That is unless you live in a "Clean Room" with perfect filtration.

Like others here have suggested, perform regular vacuuming and when they get older or extremely dirtly, you can wash the panels.

Dan

DTB300 said:
The speakers attract dust when used, so everyone gets them. That is unless you live in a "Clean Room" with perfect filtration.

Like others here have suggested, perform regular vacuuming and when they get older or extremely dirtly, you can wash the panels.

Dan
Do they affect the sound? Mine are hard to see unless you look really close.

Rik_Rankin said:
Do they affect the sound? Mine are hard to see unless you look really close.
Over long periods (read: many, many years) of time, yes. Effect: High end reproduction levels are reduced. This time frame is escalated when used in heavy dust or smokey environments with lack of maintenance.

If your dots are that hard to see good for you!! Just keep vacuuming and it will help delay the mighty onslaught of the dreaded DOTS!!! :eek: :D

But with frequent maintenance (vacuum) this helps with the build-up. Just unplug them before going to bed, and vacuum them the next morning, then plug them back in. I start out with my drapery brush, then use my crevase tool on my sweeper. Works very well. Someone made a great post here that if you see dust on the edges of the cabinets (top of panels/cabinet), it is time to vacuum them.

Also another user here acutally spent a few hours on each panel cleaning the dots with some Q-Tip devices and removed most of the dot. They are the first to claim this type of cleaning method. It can be found in the threads here with a search.

I vacuum mine once a month no matter what.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Over long periods (read: many, many years) of time, yes. Effect: High end reproduction levels are reduced. This time frame is escalated when used in heavy dust or smokey environments with lack of maintenance.

If your dots are that hard to see good for you!! Just keep vacuuming and it will help delay the mighty onslaught of the dreaded DOTS!!! :eek: :D

But with frequent maintenance (vacuum) this helps with the build-up. Just unplug them before going to bed, and vacuum them the next morning, then plug them back in. I start out with my drapery brush, then use my crevase tool on my sweeper. Works very well. Someone made a great post here that if you see dust on the edges of the cabinets (top of panels/cabinet), it is time to vacuum them.

Also another user here acutally spent a few hours on each panel cleaning the dots with some Q-Tip devices and removed most of the dot. They are the first to claim this type of cleaning method. It can be found in the threads here with a search.

I vacuum mine once a month no matter what.

Dan
Agreed 100X100 and also I have a cover for my CLSs, for when I am not using them, or else...happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back