New member, long Aerius i owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak2000

Reaction score
Aerius i owner looking for suggestions, Amp and Center

Hello all, great forum and glad to be here.

I've had my Aerius i since purchased new in 2001 and love them. They replaced an over 20 year old set of Acoustat 2+2s that would not fit in my new house at the time as the basement ceiling is just less than 8'. Have been very happy with them over the years and at least as good as the 2+2s for sure. Recently set up a HT using the new NAD T775 receiver and while the sound quality is excellent, I just keep thinking that I may be missing something. Previously always had a 2 channel system and ran a Museatex Amp/Preamp combo ACC/STR55. Maybe the dynamics/bass levels aren't as good, but clarity and soundstage is as good, if not better. Of course the quest is always to better at the best value possible, so I was thinking a NAD or Rotel amp perhaps, looking at the T975, M25, or RMB1095. I'm only doing 5.1 with a Grotto i sub and Snell center/rears, so the advantage to the NADs would be the ability to bi-amp the Aerius i. Really looking for the best sound possible for under 2k, likely from the used market. Thanks

Last edited:
Also wondering about the Logos center channel speaker as I see a few used ones available at a-gon. Compared to the Matinee maybe?

ak- first off welcome. I don't know that I can be much help w/ amp - I'm actually somewhat looking for one myself. Tons O' info in this site though that I've found useful. I'm running Aerius as surrounds now with a Logos Center (SL3 mains). I really like the sound from the Logos as most of my listening is HT. That being said I'm sure that technology has progressed and some of the newer centers are worth a listen (as always, let your ears and wallet be your guide).

I've got my mains bi-amped (passive) and i noticed a nice improvement w/that. I'd guess you'd benfit from that on the aerius as well. I may play with that for my HT surrounds (I dragged an old amp out of storage and am looking to add another pari of speakers to my HT :D ). Will let you know if I get a chance to play with this on my aerius. Good luck with the Amp - see recent thread on amps under $1k - good starting place.

Incidently, I will vouch for Sunfire and they are great at driving MLs. all set to bi-amp fronts as well (cinema grand at least...)

Jasper

I like NAD's 2 channel amps, can't comment on their multi-channel stuff or on Rotels.

You wrote that you like best value. In that case check out the Emotiva XPA-5. Here are photos. http://www.emotiva.com/xpa5.gallery/photos.html

Emotiva builds components like tanks. I once had Rotel 1091 Class D mono blocks which cost $3000 plus tax for the pair. The build quality was poor, the materials flimsy. By contrast, you can literally stand on an LPA-1 (the entry level Emo amp for $500 plus shipping). The LPA-1 weighs over 60 pounds, the XPA-5 70.

The top of the line MPS-2 weighs even more and costs $1700 plus shipping. It has 7 modular mono channels, you could use 2 to bi-amp the mains.

Thanks for the comments. I know about Emotiva, but the problem is the inability to audition prior to purchase and the lack of track record/longevity.

Originally I had similar concerns but have learned a few things since.

Auditions are most useful when done in your own system and room. Emotiva customers can test their purchases for 30 days at home. Only shipping charges apply if the customer decides to return a product.

The products are covered by a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

Emotiva have been in the business for a long time building components for other manufacturers.

Back