New Member Impression ESL 11A

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dctom

Reaction score
These are my first Martin Logans, driven by an Audionet Amp 1 V2 (300w into 4 ohms) Technics SL1200 G TT, Mola Mola Makua preamp with phono module and DAC.

Attachments

• system 1.jpg
    system 1.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 0
  • system 2.jpg
    system 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • system 3.jpg
    system 3.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
These are my first Martin Logans, driven by an Audionet Amp 1 V2 (300w into 4 ohms) Technics SL1200 G TT, Mola Mola Makua preamp with phono module and DAC.
are those Impressions or Expressions?

WOW!!! For some reason in your pic they look larger...but very nice. I am anxiously awaiting for mine to arrive. I ordered the 11A's in blue so they're being built (4 week process).

Looks like you have the isoAcoustics installed? What kind of platform is that or is it DIY?

Luckily I managed to get mine on an offer so they are just the standard veneer, I am sure the blue will look great. Yes isoAcoustics on 25mm perspex/25mm rubberised acoustic insulation material. Seems to work well as there is no bass transference into the timber floor.
Is your avatar another of your systems?

Luckily I managed to get mine on an offer so they are just the standard veneer, I am sure the blue will look great. Yes isoAcoustics on 25mm perspex/25mm rubberised acoustic insulation material. Seems to work well as there is no bass transference into the timber floor.
Is your avatar another of your systems?
"is the avatar of my system?" H.E.C.K. NO!!! (and I don't mean that in a bad way!) :) Just thought it was a cool pic. I'll post pics of my setup once the 11A's come in.

Last edited:
Thank you - I am enjoying the sound produced by the system with the MLs.

Welcome Dotcom,

I haven't heard the Impressions so anxious to hear your take on them. Are these your first ESL speakers?

Thank you for your welcome.

These are my first Martin Logans having used ATC actives for almost 20 yrs. I switched due to moving house and having to downsize my system and felt the MLs would be more informative at lower volume.
I have fitted IsoAcoustic Gaia footers.
Sound wise I find the 11a has a similar tonal signature to the ATCs however the 11a is a bit more realistic particularly on stringed instruments and vocals.
The ATC in contrast has a more powerful presentation, they need to be driven a bit harder than MLs. I am a big believer in actively driven speakers I able to hear a pair of 100s recently (similar to the ones I owned so able to get a recent comparison) and they sounded very good with a strong underpinning of the music in the lower registers.
Overall I am very happy with the MLs they suit the rest of my system and room very well. the integrated subs are very good giving a more textured upper base than the ATCs. They also produce those surprise moments when the music sounds completely unreproduced.

Glad to welcome you here Dotcom,
I hadn't heard of ATC until your post so I had to look them up. I've always admired UK gear, especially Tannoy and Quad. I spent a lot of time studying Peter Walker's equations for modeling ESL's, but it's mostly beyond my poor math skills.

I think ESLs have an addictive sound, especially the midrange.

I'm probably the only ML Forum member who doesn't own any ML's. I built my own ESL's but the good folks on this forum welcomed me here anyway :)

Back