New Member (Hopefully!) with Sistine 4XC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shawn,

Thanks so much. Just looking forward to sampling. I got to hear the Vanquish recently and was super impressed. Can't wait to hear the Sistine.

Luca

Sorry for the delay in posting. It's been two weeks of having the Sistine 4XCs in my setup. I will take more time to give a fuller response later, but also wanted to share some first impressions.

I've made considerable changes to improve the sound in my HT system. Some of the improvements can be linked to those other changes/additions. That said, the Sistine 4XC is a phenomenal speaker in so many ways (and I think that I have only just touched the surface).

First impressions on the install -- these are serious speakers. You can see the quality construction when removed from the packaging. There is a purpose and logic to each component -- the housing, the installation handle, the wire connects, the materials used. These speakers exude quality. They are huge and heavy, but once installed, disappear into the ceiling. Nothing about the install reveals what magical and powerful speakers are hidden behind the covers.

Setup -- I have four Sistine 4XCs in my setup. They are powered by a McIntosh MC205. I am also learning a new pre-pro, so the Sistines have alternated between surround, Atmos and global duties. Since I'm still learning, I admit that I have not found the optimal use for them. I do have two experiences that have truly impressed me.

My son is twelve and rarely impressed by "Dad's stuff." We sat down to watch one of his anime shows (Naruto Shippuden), streaming from Crunchyroll. I add this so you understand the sources feeding into the speaker. In this particular episode, there is a battle between two characters that involves the flying of innumerable paper bombs flapping through the air and then exploding. After the scene, he turned to me in wonder, adding "wow, that sound was cool!" (Small victories :))

On movie night, we watched The Martian from a blu ray source. This time it was the early scene with the storm on Mars. Not only did it feel like the sound was coming from everywhere, but it felt like you were in the middle of the storm. While it lasted only a few minutes, I've been smiling ever since.

What I've found is that these speakers not only handle sound well -- clear and accurate, but also silence. The imaging is exceptional because they do not need to be loud or blaring to create engaging sound. I have found that I am hearing things that do not sound like they come from the speakers. It's only upon replaying that I realize that the origin of the sound is from the speakers! I cannot tell you the number of times that I have looked around because of the ability to project sound all over the room.

I am only at the beginning of discovering what they can do. I hope to try more engaging sources to hear how the speakers handle them. I am impressed and excited and glad that I selected the Sistine 4XC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back