New Member (Hopefully!) with Sistine 4XC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luca42

Reaction score
Hi to all. Hoping to become a new member of the Martin Logan family. I am making some changes to my home theater set-up and have decided to use four Sistine 4XCs as my surrounds/Atmos speakers. I've been doing research for a month but the information on these speakers is so limited (because they are so new?). I was hoping to get some owner impressions and advice on them. Would welcome any information, comments, impressions, advice on these speakers. Thanks!

Robert!

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I'd love to hear your experience with the ElectroMotion ICs.

What is your full set up? What are you using to power them? How big of a room?

Believe me, I am worried about the same thing. My advisor initially recommended the Vanquish, knowing how much I value clarity and an accurate soundstage. When I tested them, I really enjoyed the sound but they seemed very imposing (the gloss black, the huge cutouts-- and I know they can be covered by the white grilles). I asked for alternatives and the Sistine was suggested as a worthy replacement. Slightly smaller, matte finish, but with the same wonderful sound as the Vanquish (and pricier!). Problem is, all of this is theoretical -- I haven't actually heard the Sistine. Was wondering if anyone had gone through the same analysis in choosing their in-ceiling speakers.

As background, I have a 5.1 setup now, in which my two surrounds are in-ceiling speakers, because of the inability to have true floor or wall surrounds. It's worked really well for almost 8 years. But upgrading the TV and the AV pre/pro, I wanted to also add speakers to improve the soundstage. Now as we finalize the build, I am committed to Martin Logans. Just wondering if there is a flaw in my analysis and I should be thinking of something else.

Thanks Robert.

Luca

I use a new Marantz receiver to power all of my speakers except for the two front mains. For the mains I run an Aragon off of the receiver.
SR8015 Deliver exquisitely detailed home cinema with the Marantz SR8015 11.2 channel 8K AV receiver and enjoy the most musical sound in all of your entertainment. AV Receivers

I have 4 of the Martin Logan ICs in the ceiling for atmos. I use a Martin Logan Theater i for center channel, a pair of Prodigy speakers for fronts, two Speaker Craft speakers for the sides, and two Sinclair Audio in wall speakers for the rears. I also use a Depth i for a subwoofer. It is set up in my family room.

The sound is very good IMO. Plenty of power to drive all of the speakers and using Audyssey makes them all work together very well. I dont think the Atmos speakers in my ceiling have to process a lot of sound, so the ICs seem to be plenty. I am happy with my choice.

When I build a dedicated home theater, I plan on probably using all Martin Logans in the walls and ceilings.

Nice set-up, Robert! I bet it sounds great. For me (where home theater is the main use), the center channel is always the focus. Your Theater i is a great choice. I've heard and know how clear it sounds, especially with voices/dialogue.

Agreed on the Audyssey making a huge impact on the sound stage -- I am currently using it and have been wholly pleased with the results. I will be moving to Room Perfect in this new set up and am hoping for the same satisfaction.

This is really tough. Your point about the Atmos speakers not having to process much sound is duly noted (and appreciated). When I sampled the Vanquishes, it was really a two channel demonstration, which certainly displayed how well the speakers could handle the full range of sound. As Atmos and surround channels, they would not be asked to do anything quite so demanding.

I do note that my current two surrounds get a workout with certain content (e.g., and don't laugh -- the Hallmark Channel) and I have wondered if a better speaker might handle the content better. In those situations, the room is filled with sound and creates a pleasing effect for other listeners. But as a critical listener, I can tell that the in-ceiling speakers do not match the timbre or power of the front L, R and Center speakers. I'm hoping to address that with this change.

Again, the desire is not to play loud. Instead, it's to create a seamless array capable of creating an integrated sound stage -- to the point that you forget where the speakers are and just focus on the sound.

Again, the desire is not to play loud. Instead, it's to create a seamless array capable of creating an integrated sound stage -- to the point that you forget where the speakers are and just focus on the sound.
"Seamless", that's the all important description that is the ultimate goal.

Those Sistines look amazing! And yes, they're overkill for ATMOS - at least at first glance. But to achieve a seamless, or as I call it - cohesive system, better is better. I'm using little 4i's for the four Tops, and IW's for the Surrounds and Rears, and the "system" works great, but there's a lot of room for improvement. 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2 to infinity means there will never be an end to possible improvement.

When I tweak the system and do a sound check, my go-to movie is Bladerunner. The soundtrack is so immersive. That movie sounds great on my system, and I'm very happy with the result in a multi-function room, and, I cannot install in-ceiling speakers because it's the roof and it's only built with 2x8's so there's not enough depth for speakers plus insulation.

"As Atmos and surround channels, they would not be asked to do anything quite so demanding."

Not quite so demanding most of the time. In a 5.1.x system, the Surrounds will get a lot of activity. When Rears are added, that activity is spread out into the extra speakers. Same goes for ATMOS. When ATMOS speakers are added the sound level from any individual speaker is less than before. When I listen to only the ATMOS there's not a lot of volume and not a lot of activity, MOST of the time, because most of the time it's added ambience, but when that helicopter flies over, or that spaceship (that should not be able to make a sound in space) rumbles overhead, those ATMOS speakers get a workout! So yes, better is better. The Sistine and its 8" woofers will never feel any strain!!

Probably the best advice to give in a situation where there's a choice to be made between one speaker that's obviously qualified, and a step down that's still a fine choice: If you choose the step down, you may always wonder - What if? I had that decision to make less than two years ago and it was between the 11A and 13A. I could afford the 11A and had been drooling over it for many months. I actually completed the purchase - and without listening to the 13A on purpose because I didn't want to spend the extra money. But, before leaving the store, curiosity forced me to listen while still holding the paid invoice in my hand, and 5 seconds into the demo I laughed, shook my head, and told the salesman to sell me the 13A. That is one of the best audio decisions I've made.

Nice set-up, Robert! I bet it sounds great. For me (where home theater is the main use), the center channel is always the focus. Your Theater i is a great choice. I've heard and know how clear it sounds, especially with voices/dialogue.

Agreed on the Audyssey making a huge impact on the sound stage -- I am currently using it and have been wholly pleased with the results. I will be moving to Room Perfect in this new set up and am hoping for the same satisfaction.

This is really tough. Your point about the Atmos speakers not having to process much sound is duly noted (and appreciated). When I sampled the Vanquishes, it was really a two channel demonstration, which certainly displayed how well the speakers could handle the full range of sound. As Atmos and surround channels, they would not be asked to do anything quite so demanding.

I do note that my current two surrounds get a workout with certain content (e.g., and don't laugh -- the Hallmark Channel) and I have wondered if a better speaker might handle the content better. In those situations, the room is filled with sound and creates a pleasing effect for other listeners. But as a critical listener, I can tell that the in-ceiling speakers do not match the timbre or power of the front L, R and Center speakers. I'm hoping to address that with this change.

Yeah, I get that seamless sound now, including those Martin Logans in the ceiling. Many times you can't tell what speaker is making the sound. Its like one big collage of sound.

"Seamless", that's the all important description that is the ultimate goal.

Those Sistines look amazing! And yes, they're overkill for ATMOS - at least at first glance. But to achieve a seamless, or as I call it - cohesive system, better is better. I'm using little 4i's for the four Tops, and IW's for the Surrounds and Rears, and the "system" works great, but there's a lot of room for improvement. 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2 to infinity means there will never be an end to possible improvement.

When I tweak the system and do a sound check, my go-to movie is Bladerunner. The soundtrack is so immersive. That movie sounds great on my system, and I'm very happy with the result in a multi-function room, and, I cannot install in-ceiling speakers because it's the roof and it's only built with 2x8's so there's not enough depth for speakers plus insulation.

"As Atmos and surround channels, they would not be asked to do anything quite so demanding."

Not quite so demanding most of the time. In a 5.1.x system, the Surrounds will get a lot of activity. When Rears are added, that activity is spread out into the extra speakers. Same goes for ATMOS. When ATMOS speakers are added the sound level from any individual speaker is less than before. When I listen to only the ATMOS there's not a lot of volume and not a lot of activity, MOST of the time, because most of the time it's added ambience, but when that helicopter flies over, or that spaceship (that should not be able to make a sound in space) rumbles overhead, those ATMOS speakers get a workout! So yes, better is better. The Sistine and its 8" woofers will never feel any strain!!

Probably the best advice to give in a situation where there's a choice to be made between one speaker that's obviously qualified, and a step down that's still a fine choice: If you choose the step down, you may always wonder - What if? I had that decision to make less than two years ago and it was between the 11A and 13A. I could afford the 11A and had been drooling over it for many months. I actually completed the purchase - and without listening to the 13A on purpose because I didn't want to spend the extra money. But, before leaving the store, curiosity forced me to listen while still holding the paid invoice in my hand, and 5 seconds into the demo I laughed, shook my head, and told the salesman to sell me the 13A. That is one of the best audio decisions I've made.
I bet if you have 4 ceiling speakers for atmos like I do, that will lessen the load on each speaker compared to a system with just 2 atmos channels.

I bet if you have 4 ceiling speakers for atmos like I do, that will lessen the load on each speaker compared to a system with just 2 atmos channels.
Yep. Front and Rear Tops. And yes, the more there are, the less the load for all the normal ambient stuff. But when a helicopter roars overhead, or the airplane in Ford Vs Ferrari, those things get LOUD!!! The point being that those are expected to be as good as the Surrounds, which mine aren't. I already had them, so I just moved them from Surround duties to ATMOS duties when I bought the IW's for Surrounds.

Here's what Dolby expects for ATMOS:
"4.4 Surround Loudspeaker Sound Pressure Level: 99dB
Each loudspeaker and associated amplifier must have a maximum output capability of 99 dB continuous SPL at the RLP (defined on page 1). Loudspeaker capability must be determined, as described in Section 6. We recommend an amplifier with 3 dB of headroom (that is, twice the required continuous power).

4.5 Surround Array Sound Pressure Level: 105dB
Each surround array and the associated amplifiers must be able to produce 105 dB continuous SPL at the RLP. To meet this requirement for surround arrays with fewer than four loudspeakers, each loudspeaker must be able to produce more than 99 dB continuous SPL.

4.6 Surround Sound Frequency Response: 40Hz to16kHz,+3/–6dB
Dolby Atmos auditoriums must support playback of full-range surround signals. To meet this specification standard, cinema surround loudspeakers with limited bass response require bass management. If bass management is used, the surround loudspeakers frequency response (±3 dB) must extend to 90 Hz or lower. The crossover frequency should be set based on the capabilities of the surround loudspeakers, but must not be higher than 100 Hz.
"

I've read through this a lot to get an understanding of what's expected because it's a 4-or-more-of-one or 2-of-another. If there's an array of 4 or more ATMOS speakers, the array must be capable of 105dB. If only 2 ATMOS then each speaker must be capable of 99dB at the frequency response listed above.

Further, I find that the sound in my system's 4i's that I use for ATMOS sound much cleaner if I up the crossover to 120Hz. Yes, this is way out of bounds, the the subs I'm using for Bass Management are next to the Main Fronts so it sounds fine. It's not ideal, but sounds fine. Trying to problem solve for my system's weaknesses. The more bass I can take away from the 4i's, the better. The IC's would be a huge improvement for when Movie Night! is really loud like it's supposed to be. For me some FX2's would probably be the way to go.

Lol! You sound exactly like me! It doesn't matter what it is, I always think about the incremental cost and think "what if?" I'd much rather spend an extra $X now instead of having to revisit or think about this again in a year or two. I want to "do it right" the first time.

Lol! You sound exactly like me! It doesn't matter what it is, I always think about the incremental cost and think "what if?" I'd much rather spend an extra $X now instead of having to revisit or think about this again in a year or two. I want to "do it right" the first time.
Yeah, problem is that $200 here $200 there adds up. I thought about getting the Electro Motion R instead, but thats an extra $800 for the four speakers. I knew I was going to probably be selling the house in less than 5 years so I figured dont spend too much. Im glad I went with the IC speakers. They seem more than enough for what I need now. If I ever build a home theater I will probably go with something a bit more hefty since it will be a dedicated home theater and I will crank up the volume a bit more.

Yeah, problem is that $200 here $200 there adds up. I thought about getting the Electro Motion R instead, but thats an extra $800 for the four speakers. I knew I was going to probably be selling the house in less than 5 years so I figured dont spend too much. Im glad I went with the IC speakers. They seem more than enough for what I need now. If I ever build a home theater I will probably go with something a bit more hefty since it will be a dedicated home theater and I will crank up the volume a bit more.
Yes, things add up quickly when you're talking about Surrounds and Tops, whether it's two of each or four of each.

And yes again to the IC. It's basically the same as the IW I put in the walls. It's a very capable speaker. I wish I had those on the ceiling, but I'd need to build boxes for them. hmmmmm . . . . .

Hi to all. Hoping to become a new member of the Martin Logan family. I am making some changes to my home theater set-up and have decided to use four Sistine 4XCs as my surrounds/Atmos speakers. I've been doing research for a month but the information on these speakers is so limited (because they are so new?). I was hoping to get some owner impressions and advice on them. Would welcome any information, comments, impressions, advice on these speakers. Thanks!
Hello how’s it going, I would like to introduce myself I’m Shawn I’m the owner of DaVincu Media in Milwaukee Wisconsin I have been a long time sponsor on this board and a Martin Logan Masterpiece dealer since the late 90s. I always do my best to make sure that members of the forum get the best price and service possible. Plus I always work very hard to bring a personal dedication to any sales and support. I’m pretty sure if you check with anyone on the forum they will let you know that I’ve always given 110% for my customers. So, if you’re ready or if you have any other questions let me know. I’d love to get these speakers for you. I can be reached by voice or text at 830-DaVinci (840-328–4624) Or email [email protected]. Let me know if you have any questions, take care and have happy new year!

Hello how’s it going, I would like to introduce myself I’m Shawn I’m the owner of DaVincu Media in Milwaukee Wisconsin I have been a long time sponsor on this board and a Martin Logan Masterpiece dealer since the late 90s. I always do my best to make sure that members of the forum get the best price and service possible. Plus I always work very hard to bring a personal dedication to any sales and support. I’m pretty sure if you check with anyone on the forum they will let you know that I’ve always given 110% for my customers. So, if you’re ready or if you have any other questions let me know. I’d love to get these speakers for you. I can be reached by voice or text at 830-DaVinci (840-328–4624) Or email [email protected]. Let me know if you have any questions, take care and have happy new year!
Hey Shawn -- thanks for the introduction.

Have you sold or installed any Sistine speakers? If so, can you give your impressions of the sound? Also, can you give some details of the set-up?

Thanks.

Luca

Hey Shawn -- thanks for the introduction.

Have you sold or installed any Sistine speakers? If so, can you give your impressions of the sound? Also, can you give some details of the set-up?

Thanks.

Luca
Hey Luca, I have used these as the Atmos speakers in a 7.4.2 system. The front three speakers were electostats the rest were motion series. The entire system matched up sonically very well. I actually have a pair here that I can pull out and take some pictures if you’d like to get a better idea of there design. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Shawn

Hey Luca, I have used these as the Atmos speakers in a 7.4.2 system. The front three speakers were electostats the rest were motion series. The entire system matched up sonically very well. I actually have a pair here that I can pull out and take some pictures if you’d like to get a better idea of there design. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Shawn

Shawn,

Never going to say no to photos (although hearing them is what I really need)! Please post. Would love to see what you've done. Thanks in advance.

Luca

Here are a couple photos though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Thanks to all. I'm excited. Thanks Shawn for the videos and photos. Ready to join the ML fold!

Luca

Back