New member here with a dilemma. I have a desire...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flimchance

Reaction score
Hi, gang. I joined here because I'm currently in the market for ML EMs and need some advice.

I currently own Polk Monitor 60s for fronts but one fateful day I went to Magnolia Home Theater and auditioned ML EM's and unfortunately they ruined me for box speakers forever. :(

Now I have to have them. Only problem is that it's gonna take me a while to save up for them and I can't wait that long. The wife seems to think we need a new kitchen or something first, although she's been pretty reasonable with my audio obsession in the past, God bless her. I've had dreams about these Electromotions and I've even downloaded the owner's manual and know it inside and out.

Anyway, a pair of Sources is more within my grasp but will this satisfy my insatiable desire for the electrostat sound for the time being? Or should I wait until I have the coin for the EM's?

Just to make things even more stressful, the Egg has Motion 12's (I know they're not stats) on sale for 279 each right now, free shipping...and someone's selling MMG's in my area for $500 in like new condition.

Don't know what to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here's my current setup:

Room size: 13x13, hardwood floor, one wall opens to kitchen area.
AVR: Denon 1611 7.1
Fronts: Polk M60
Center: Polk CS2
Rears/Front Heights: Polk RCi85
Sub: BIC F12
TV: Aquos 53" LED.

Thanks in advance for restoring me to sanity.

Bill

Last edited:
I would say save your pennies & get a demo or used EM's. The maggies are good but the ML are faster & image better. I keep both speakers MMG & MG-1.6 & the ML's are the winner.
Where L.I.? The MMG's dont wake up till about 400W a side, thats gonna cost you. :D

I would say save your pennies & get a demo or used EM's. The maggies are good but the ML are faster & image better. I keep both speakers MMG & MG-1.6 & the ML's are the winner.
Where L.I.? The MMG's dont wake up till about 400W a side, thats gonna cost you. :D

I'm in the Babylon area.

I kind of resigned myself to waiting for the EM's. I'm looking at better AVRs right now that will give me more options when I finally get the EM's:

Onkyo TX-NR709
Marantz SR5004
Pioneer VSX-1121-K

Does any one stand out over the other? They seem to all offer the features I need at the price I can afford.

I'm in the Babylon area.

I kind of resigned myself to waiting for the EM's. I'm looking at better AVRs right now that will give me more options when I finally get the EM's:

Onkyo TX-NR709
Marantz SR5004
Pioneer VSX-1121-K

Does any one stand out over the other? They seem to all offer the features I need at the price I can afford.

I'd get the features you want but make sure it has pre-amp outs so you'll have flexibility when you add the additional amp.;)

Hi Bill & welcome. Mate, if you're smart & you sound like you know which way is up, my advice would be to get the kitchen or whatever first, because you're going to need the brownie points. Once you buy into the ML family you will be trying to hold onto a whirlwind of upgrades that you will 110% convince yourself that you must have because your uber revealing speakers deserve nothing less & they will need refined gear to hang out with to shine. :D

my advice would be to get the kitchen or whatever first, because you're going to need the brownie points.

good advise..........after 36 years of marriage I concur ! .........BTW, welcome to the fold

Get yourself a bestbuy store card and put them on 36 month interest free credit .Pay the bare bones on it till the kitchen is done . Dont buy pioneer with electrostats ever!!!!!! .Go for the onkyo as it will sound great or denon but they are spendy and you could by a HT preamp for that price.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. I may wind up going the bestbuy card route. I'll have three years to pay it off with no interest and I'd probably put down a significant amount in cash to bring the monthly payments down. I figure that with EM's in the house, I'll probably never need another upgrade, ever, right? They will definitely be my last audio purchase. Aside from CD's, of course. Well, yeah, maybe a new center, but that's it. Has to be timbre matched you know. I've heard that when you run the F-L-C through external amplification the sound is amazing.....

a pair of Sources is more within my grasp but will this satisfy my insatiable desire for the electrostat sound for the time being? Or should I wait until I have the coin for the EM's?

ML Sources are nice and will definitely give you that ML electrostatic open sound. Good place to start.. Never heard MMGs.

I figure that with EM's in the house, I'll probably never need another upgrade, ever, right? They will definitely be my last audio purchase. Aside from CD's, of course.

If you say so! Seems I said the same thing many years ago. I was mistaken!!!!

Gordon

Back