New Member Here, Need Suggestions For Speaker Cables (Aerius i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

djmika

Hello Gentlemen,

I recently aquired a pair of Aerius i's. I've been an audiophile since I was 13 and after hearing the Sequel II's in a local retailer's shop years ago I've always wanted to own a pair of ML's. The Aerius' have not dissapointed! But I have a problem...

I'll start by listing the associated equipment:

-Primare D 30.2 CD Player
-Canary Audio CA-801 Signature (Dual-Mono Preamp w/ outboard power supply)
-McCormack DNA-125 Power Amp
-Wireworld Eclipse V Interconnects

This leads to my question... I am having a more difficult time finding speaker cables that work well with my system than I would have imagined would be the case. I recently purchased a new set of Audioquest Rockafeller 9' shotgun to bi-wire cablesAudioquest Rockafellers . After break-in they accentuated the already lush lower midrange in my system. The problem was, the bass was sloppy and the top end was very dark, or rolled off. Finally, after waiting long enough to make absolutely sure they were completely broken in, I called the dealer who sold them to me and aranged to return them. I replaced them with a pair of Harmonic Tech Pro 9-Plus 15'Harmonic Tech Pro-9 Plus (what the dealer had as a demo), also shotgun to bi-wire. The differance was night and day. The bass is much tighter, the highs are extended and smooth, the soundstage is wider and deeper and image location is "tighter." The problem is that at times the midrange sounds rather recessed. Vocals can sound small and distant with some recordings. It's bad enough that I can't get past it. My only guess is that could be attributed to the deviation in wire guage between the low and high pass cables. The low pass cable is visibly heaver guage than the high pass and with the ML's lower than average high pass-450hz, and more complex load coming from the panel I thought this could be the possible culprate. While the dealer has been fairly patient, I have been warned that my next cable will be the last.

So, what cables have you more experience (than myself) ML owners experimented and succeeded with? Bi-wire or not, and if so is a deviation in guages between low and high-pass okay? I appreciate any assistance/advice you all can offer.

Thanks In Advance,

Micah

Welcome to the club!

I'll let the others chime in with their cable recommendations. ;)

Last edited:
djmika said:
I recently aquired a pair of Aerius i's. I've been an audiophile since I was 13 and after hearing the Sequel II's in a local retailer's shop years ago I've always wanted to own a pair of ML's.
That is how it all started for me...Hearing the Sequel II's at a Stereophile show in LA...hooked from that day forward and now own CLSIIz's and use the Sequel II's for surround speakers.

I'll start by listing the associated equipment:

-Primare D 30.2 CD Player
-Canary Audio CA-801 Signature (Dual-Mono Preamp w/ outboard power supply)
-McCormack DNA-125 Power Amp
-Wireworld Eclipse V Interconnects
Nice equipment.....Never heard the Wireworld cables though....

So, what cables have you more experience (than myself) ML owners experimented and succeeded with? Bi-wire or not, and if so is a deviation in guages between low and high-pass okay? I appreciate any assistance/advice you all can offer.
Ah yes...the infinite cable debate. If 20 people answer here, you may get 20 different answers, as cables are a personal preference, system, and room dependent items. What sounds good in my system may sound like doo-doo in your system.

One of the best ways to find a cable is trying out many different companies and determining what is best for YOU!!! The Cable Company www.fatwyre.com is a place that will send you cables to try out with your system - they will also make some recommendations based on your setup and listening preferences. You get the cables, audition them, see what you like or do not like, then return and try some more, or make a purchase. It is probably one of the best ways to try out cables that you cannot find locally at your Stereo stores.

Dan

Last edited:
1. Vacuum your speakers, leave them unplugged for 24 hours and do both sides, spending at least 5 minutes each plane.

2. Make sure there is no soft gushy material directly behind your speakers - they like a hard wall behind them, soft wall/absorber between them.

3. Make sure you are using the spikes not the mushroom pad feet. Protect your floor with large concrete cutting disks you can buy for $5.00 (as a start). Soft things under the spikes will soften the sound, hard things like coins and metal washers will harden and brighten the sound.

4. Angle the speakers down towards you, rear spike adjusted as high as it will go without tipping over. Go to Tweeks section and use Jim Powers toe-in flash light method.

5. After doing all that my sound (original Aerius) was as you described. After reading many reviews I ended up with a brighter faster dry wire - Nordost Blue Heaven (been very happy, becareful with those Z-plugs they can snap with age).

My system is number 42, you can look at it for more ideas.

Thanks for the responses...

Thank you all for your responses. I was excited to find such a forum and look forward to reading through more of the content. I think I have settled on Audience Au24 speaker cables. I have used them before and as of now, they are the only cable which distinctly stands out as being superior.

I will be returning the Harmonic Tech's and I think I am leaning toward getting into Vinyl and taking home a Rega P3. I am also looking at the Bellari tube Phono Stage. Thoughts?

My next upgrade will be to the crossovers. I am going to go with Jantzen Audio (for larger values) and Hovland Musicaps for bypass and more critical circuits.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
djmika said:
I will be returning the Harmonic Tech's and I think I am leaning toward getting into Vinyl and taking home a Rega P3. I am also looking at the Bellari tube Phono Stage. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about the interconnects you need for your vinyl setup, but my turntable to phono preamp connection is Cardas Neutral Reference from The Cable Company/fatwyre and I love it. The interconnect costs twice as much as my 20 year old turntable did new, but it's worth it. :)

Welcome aboard.. San Ramon? Wow.. we're neighbors. I'm in Hayward up near CSUH.

Cables have been greatly discussed here and like DTB said, you'll get 20 different answers...

Good luck in your quest and I'm glad you found us!

Tom.

Last edited:
Back