New member from South Bend Indiana

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TitaniumTroy

Reaction score
Greetings all,

newbie here from South Bend IN, any other members from around here in the Michiana area? It seem like this forum has many members from the Chicago area, which is about 90 miles west of me. So if you have any get togethers in the Windy City area please let me know.

Also I should explain that I have an all Magnepan system except the subwoofer BIC America V1215, MGIIIA's for mains, MMGC for center channel, 10.1 for surrounds. My computer speakers are also planer, Monsoon MM200.

While I usaully hang around over at the Sound and Vision forum, there are not too many Planer type speaker owners over their. There is also the Magnepan User's Group, but their software is old and creaky and not to user friendly, so here I am.

I was first bitten by the Planer bug when I heard a pair of 7ft Acoustat's back in 85. Since then I have been in awe of all speakers planer:bowdown:

I have to admit I have not heard any Martin Logan speakers to date, I have heard some Carver ALIII's, Apogee's. Would also love to hear some Quad's someday when I get the chance.

Around 2003 I bought the Moonson planer computer speakers off of ebay, this rekindled my intrest in these type of speakers. First I bought a NAD T753 reciever for its ability to handle 4 Ohm loads.

Then I found a pair of the MGIIIA's on ebay for $400.00 in Detroit, some Russian guy who sold used goods bought them at an estate sale for $100. They work great, I think the True Ribbon tweeter really helps, better for off axis listening and do not have the siblance I hear once in awhile in my 10.1 surrounds.

Caught the Audio bug in general when i was serving in the Air Force at Avaino Air Force Base Italy. Most of my friends thought the Bose 901's were king but I always though they sounded like 9 midranges despite their equalizer, I was Bose bashing before it became a trend:eek:

Listening habits are a lot of album soundtracks, you know Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gladaitor, Last of the Mohican's, Somewhere In Time, Jaws, etc.. Cinemagic on XM radio is great for this kind of music.

Otherwise an eclectic mix of Robert Cray, Blues, Electric Light Orchestra, some classical organ and symphony like Bach or Wagner, alternative like NIN, Tears for Fears, Ministry, The Smiths, some country like Johnny Cash, Dwight Yokam, Suzy Boggus, classic rock Deep Purple, Led Zepplin the Who etc..

Anyway I think this is a great looking site, excellent software with cool and friendly members:rocker: Rock On.

Troy

welcome aboard

Welcome aboard! The people around here are always helpful and friendly. And no one seems to mind of you really use ML products or not. If you have any Qs do not hesitate to ask!:music:

If you were taken by planers back in '85 you must have made a point NOT to hear Martin Logans in the intervening years! :D Probably all the better, you will just ruin yourself if you listen to them. Not that maggies are bad by any measure, but come on...it just does not get any better than Martin Logan's! Of course we are little biased here! LOL! ;)

Welcome to the group! :rocker:

Troy, Welcome as well ! I too, a former Maggie guy (IIIA's and 3.6's)

Although I have listened to a few "box" speakers that have intrigued me, planars / electrostatics are still my favorites.

Troy - Welcome. I'm a former Maggie guy for about 10 yrs. (12s, 1.6s) and never thought I'd own another brand. As great as Maggies are, the Logans suit me a bit better. Maggies and Logans employ different technologies, but to me they have much more in common then any box speaker as far as the overall presentation of music is concerned.

Welcome I am in MI about 2 1/2 hrs from ya. I ran MGIIIa for a while . Its a great speaker . Surprisingly better that most think. As for the comparison to Logan's . Depending on what model you have . The bigger Logan's will out perform the Maggies but the smaller ones hold no candle, overall. They Maggie sound is a bit more .........well softer. the detail and image in a Logan is more precise and defined. the set up is not as hard with placement either. You have a speaker that disperses sound at a 30* angle vrs a back and forth motion.

I love Maggies. I was going to buy the MG20.1 but the sheer size of the beast scared me off. I bought Summits instead... :bowdown:

Thanks for all the welcoming replies, perhaps at one of the Chicago GTG you can convert me over to the Martin Logan side of the Force:devil:

Troy

where does TitaniumTroy come from???? Just curious..

Well my Seiko watch is a titanium model, my everyday Porche glasses have a titanium frame as do my Maui Jim sunglasses.

I think titanium is an interesting metal with attributes, of strength, toughness, resistance to rust, and light weight compared to steel, oh and it begins with the
same letter as my first name.

Last edited:
Welcome Troy,

Once you get to hear a pair of logans, you will be assimulated!! Once , I heard them years ago, there simply was no turning back to conventional box speakers.

I love that Somewhere In Time soundtrack also, it's a great recording

Cheers

Troy,

I'm not in the Michiana area, but I did grow in South Bend. Welcome to our online club! We always welcome a new voice, even from non-ML owners.

Anthony

Martin Logan may very well release a Summit with a Titanium finish! Then you'd have no excuse, Troy... ;)

Did someone mention that Bose bashing is a trend? My first leap into high-end, well maybe not actual high-end, were with a pair of bose 10.2's. I still have them in my other system, now collecting dust since obtaining the Aeon i.

I have to say, the 10.2 are nice speakers. They have outstanding base, and I love to get kicked while listening so they worked for me, until ML appeared. Well, it is an unfair comparison; but I will never speak unkindly of the 10.2's.

Back