New Member - Exploring ML Possibilities

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itch

Reaction score
Hello All

I have been watching the ML lines for a number of years but have ever pulled the trigger.
My interest in audio dates back to my teens - when I had zero funds!

I dabbled in what I could afford (building a Hafler amp) and continued to subscribe to Stereo Review and other publications.
Like many out there - I gravitated to Home Theater when it became popular, channeling my limited funds to processors, electronics and displays.

Several years ago I became hooked on Carver gear (there is a phenomenon called OCCD.)
This lead to collecting and refurbishing the very amps that I wanted, but couldn't afford, as a teen.
My rack of amps is rotated regularly. I have refreshed many of the Proton, HK, Phase Linear amps of yesteryear.
- with the exception of the Crimson 350 tube amps.

I now have all the 'firepower' one could ask for but am limited on speaker selection.

My listening area is not ideal - I have almost no long walls in my house.

As you can see in the pictures below - I have not abandoned the home theater.
My rack, as well as my listening area is multipurpose.

Every time I read reviews of loudspeakers I find the reviewer, in the end, puts the whammy on me by stating how important the positioning of
the speakers are...

I am looking for a speaker that can fit (not perfectly) my layout - without having to be "four feet from the back wall etc...."
Something that is pretty forgiving.

I am currently running Heresy III for my main audio (with a Sunfire Subrosa sub hidden under the TV.)
The speakers on the stands are Sunfire CRM-2's. They are for a secondary system. The stands and speakers
are the correct width for the space when my projector screen is lowered.

Tall and thin...

I look forward to your thoughts.

Itch

IMG_5228.JPG.f52e41e07f2fc16f7dd00b519685b760.JPG

IMG_1534.jpg.f286b9000ae39ecf050797a9c95184bf.jpg

IMG_5176.JPG.a6ebdd89d7d0a2e924e6cdf3b71835b6.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG.a5d73a5e28a1a646f80f93b906baab51.JPG

I like how you have the screen lowering over the led tv. Good use of space. Are you able to use the projector during the day, or is it after dark only?

Hi Robert - the projector is pretty powerful and the screen has some gain.
Day viewing is more than acceptable for sports etc. Not for the snobby purists :)

You are very limited from the pull down screen. The left side is the problem. Most any ML speaker will take up more width than what it looks like is available. Since this is a high end system, I imagine that many guys on this forum will have some ideas. But, it will cost you some serious (to me ) money. Our forum guys live in the upper crust of audio! I fumble along in the gutter........LOL.

Itch, Ive got a question for you about your setup. I see all of your components are in the cabinet inside the wall and that looks great to me. Im wondering, do you have some kind of blutooth device that is like a repeater or something that allows you to use the remotes? How does that work, and does it work well?

Im also worried about too much heat building up in the wall. There must be a fan ventilation system built into the wall there? How does that work? Im asking because Id like to build a dedicated home theater eventually and am wondering about those 2 questions.

Robert,

Running tube amps in an enclosure was a concern.

The back of my unit is accessible in the adjoining room (happens to be the home gym.)
I did end up installing fans: AC Infinity AIRPLATE T8, Quiet Cooling Dual-Fan System 6" with Thermostat Control

I elected to have them both blow IN to the cabinet. Hot air escapes through vents on top of the cabinet and to a lesser extent
the gaps in the front door. Keeps things pretty cool.

IMG_0516.JPG.3c6ef1815d0f8a53e6f84679266e6cd0.JPG

IMG_5174.JPG.6e3034e63015266c177df4dc50dedd1e.JPG

The IR system is quite simple.
I have an IR receiver installed in the upper right corner of my HT wall. A cable runs to a repeater unit.
Most of my equipment (Processor - Preamp) have IR input jacks. A mini plug cable is run from the repeater
to each. This allows control of all IR functions.

IMG_0882.jpg

This is the unit I purchased:
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 6.53.45 AM.png

You are very limited from the pull down screen. The left side is the problem. Most any ML speaker will take up more width than what it looks like is available. Since this is a high end system, I imagine that many guys on this forum will have some ideas. But, it will cost you some serious (to me ) money. Our forum guys live in the upper crust of audio! I fumble along in the gutter........LOL.

The Motion line would fit - any thoughts?

Robert,

Running tube amps in an enclosure was a concern.

The back of my unit is accessible in the adjoining room (happens to be the home gym.)
I did end up installing fans: AC Infinity AIRPLATE T8, Quiet Cooling Dual-Fan System 6" with Thermostat Control

I elected to have them both blow IN to the cabinet. Hot air escapes through vents on top of the cabinet and to a lesser extent
the gaps in the front door. Keeps things pretty cool.

View attachment 21049

View attachment 21050

The IR system is quite simple.
I have an IR receiver installed in the upper right corner of my HT wall. A cable runs to a repeater unit.
Most of my equipment (Processor - Preamp) have IR input jacks. A mini plug cable is run from the repeater
to each. This allows control of all IR functions.

View attachment 21051

This is the unit I purchased:
View attachment 21052
Wow, great detail you have provided! Thank you. Your audio cabinet is set up the exact way I imagined doing it. Im thinking I might do it with the front open, no door or glass.

So most modern equipment has a plug for input from an ir device, I've not noticed but going to guess my new Marantz has it. How about cable boxes and 4k players? I don't see those devices in your photos. Thinking those devices may not have that capability. Your setup looks nice.

Robert,

My PS4 and Directv have RF or Bluetooth remote capabilities.

Many of my source units are operated via wifi and are on top of the rear my cabinet.
Sonos (Wyred4sound) AppleTv etc

Itch

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG.db1fc580b27a44707dbdbd424d97462c.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG.db1fc580b27a44707dbdbd424d97462c.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.504c1a8d0f7412c93854951618912448.JPG
    IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.504c1a8d0f7412c93854951618912448.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.33b345375dec600091d2d09174ee640a.JPG
    IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.33b345375dec600091d2d09174ee640a.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 8
When you say "I am looking for a speaker that can fit (not perfectly) my layout - without having to be "four feet from the back wall etc.... Something that is pretty forgiving" do you mean you want your speakers to be less than 4 feet from the back wall or more than 4 feet?

ML electrostatics need to be reasonably close to the back wall and certainly not more than about 6 feet. I learnt this to my cost by installing new 13As in the middle of my room where there was 12 feet behind one speaker and 15 feet behind the other. Not good for MLs despite advice here that they would sound great in my big room. They sounded bad!

Your room looks OK through the right wall is very close to your existing small speaker. If you want a "type" of speaker that is happy close to side walls and the back wall, I believe you should be looking at horn speakers such as Avantgarde. Their sound is projected forward in a relatively narrow beam so not affected by side walls and not dependent (as MLs are) of a rear wall to salvage much of the sound that MLs project backwards.

Latest posts

Back